A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 305,733
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the FAAAAHBULOUS rug-weaving I've been doing--holy cheese it's image crazy!  (Read 8142 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

weberly
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007 10:27:37 AM »

oh wow, this is inspirational.  i just dream about making rugs, but it looks really fun, love the colors-could you estimate a cost/time
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoyousBohemian
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007 02:05:13 PM »

oh wow, this is inspirational.  i just dream about making rugs, but it looks really fun, love the colors-could you estimate a cost/time

Hmm.  It's difficult to say, seeing as how I barter time at the Portland Fiber Gallery--I got to make my rug and didn't have to pay for the warp or the loom time if I finished up the rest of the warp for my boss.    I know the Wilde and Woolly was about $8.50 a skein, and I used about eight or nine skeins (That's the middle rug).  As for the first one, it was all fabric that my mom had accumulated over thirty years, and was dying to get rid of.  So it was free, basically.  The third rug was just leftover bits of yarn from various projects that my boss wanted to get rid of, so no idea of costs on that.
Timewise, the rag-rug took the longest because it wasn't on a shuttle; each strip was hand-threaded through the shed.  That one took about twelve hours.  The other two went much faster, with the second one taking about eight hours and the third about four.  They're so much fun! You should give them a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my hand-dyed fiber!
portfiber.etsy.com
weberly
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007 03:19:20 PM »

thank you, it does look fun.  i thought about trying a back-strap type loom, or the kind they peg into the ground, you know home-made.  Back in the days before internet I thought about this for months and came up with the idea of a heddle, and was really proud of myself until I realized this invention had been around for a couple thousand years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
luckyscrapper
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007 12:09:19 PM »

Those are super. I have no clue how to weave so I am in aww.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gardenpicnic
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007 08:41:52 PM »

I love the colours you used. I would totally have this in my apartment! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heini
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007 11:38:01 AM »

Timewise, the rag-rug took the longest because it wasn't on a shuttle; each strip was hand-threaded through the shed. 
The weaving is faster if you join the strips beforehand, because then you can use shuttle.

Take strips 1 and 2, fold them about 1 inch from one end and cut about half inch in the middle of the strips. When you unfold them, they'll both have a hole in one end. Pull strip 1 through the hole of strip 2 and then pull strip 2 through strip 2. Pull the strips and they'll be kind of knotted together. I made a picture in half a second with Paint, hope that helps.

Also, when you are cutting the rags, cut them like in the picture below, so the strips will be longer. My example shows how to cut old shirts (after you have cut all seams out), but of course you can cut any fabric like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fiberartist219
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007 07:11:13 AM »

Hmm... I have some fabric scraps I'm ready to get rid of. perhaps I should make a rag rug too.

The loom I have is a table top loom, and it's only about 12 inches wide. I might have to sew some strips together.

Your brown rug is very inspiring the way you have the colors organized.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peachymanaangel
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007 04:40:29 AM »

Lovely rugs, the first rag rug really catches my fancy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://peachymanaangel.livejournal.com/ for blog fun
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylacrawford/ pictures. When words only get in the way
http://kylaslab.etsy.com Shop for fun felted jewelry and other fiber arts
GreenBear
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007 08:01:24 AM »

Oh wow! I don't know much - okay, anything - about rug-weaving, but it certainly looks like you have a real talent for it, JoyousBohemian. They. Are. Amazing.  Cool
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007 08:01:47 AM by GreenBear » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Finally, choosing an instrument: uprights damage less paintwork on the way in, but grands are more useful if you do a lot of dressmaking, or need a flat surface for mixing concrete.  (Victoria Wood on pianos.)
madelinetosh
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007 02:21:38 PM »

beautiful work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mother’s Day Beauty Musts
Get Scarlett Johansson’s Full Lip Look
Beyoncé’s Foolproof Makeup Tips That Will Last All Day
How You Should Wear Your Hair For Your Wedding
How to Create A Winged Eyeliner
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...