A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
730 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegan cookie- recipe suggestions?  (Read 1426 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

raining_dreams
« on: January 18, 2007 05:39:57 PM »

I adore cookies! I cannot even stress how much I love cookies- I used to make them all the time and eat far too many.
 Anyway, now that I have cut eggs from my diet, I am unsure what the best way to make cookies would be? I also won't be putting milk or butter which leads to more frustration. Can anyone suggest a tried and true favorite cookie recipe? Really any kind is lovely. If possible, please post maybe a mini review. Such as how they taste, and whether or not they are a little kid friendly recipe. Only becuase my five year old sister loves making cookies, and I would like to make sometihng we would both like.

I apologize for the grammar. I am having the hardest time speaking and typing. lol  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Street lights dance and street lights sing
Someone cut the oxygen and took a message to the king
Announcing that he wasn't royalty
blog
vegan food blog
lamamarco
Lauren :)

sewing IS love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007 09:59:58 AM »

I personally haven't tried any of these but I think they are worth looking into.

http://vegancore.blogspot.com/2006/07/soft-cutout-cookies.html

http://speedvegan.com/?p=219

I tend to make cookies that are more cake-y so it's easier to sub things... I love this pumpkin cookie recipe.... I sub flax for the egg (one tablespoon flax meal to 3 tablespoons warm water) and Earth Balance for the butter. Oh and the glaze is just confectioner's sugar and water. Yummy.

These are dense cookies, not super dense, but more cake-y... but oh so good. They aren't overloaded with spices.... very mild. But I add more cinnamon and a couple of shakes of pumpkin pie spice. Oh and they aren't too sweet and completely yummy and probably better for you with out the sugar.

Iced Pumpkin Cookies

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract

Icing
2 cups powdered sugar
3 T. milk
1 T. butter melted
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves and set aside.
Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the pumkin, egg, and vanilla and mix until creamy. Mix in dry ingredients. Drop on baking sheets in tablespoon sized balls. Flatten slightly.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
Combine icing ingredients. Add milk as necessary for drizzling consistency. Drizzle glaze over the cookies with a fork.
(makes about 3 dozen)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raining_dreams
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007 12:17:45 PM »

Thank you so much! All of those recipes sound delicious. I love Vegan*Core's blog, but didn't see that recipe until now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Street lights dance and street lights sing
Someone cut the oxygen and took a message to the king
Announcing that he wasn't royalty
blog
vegan food blog
lamamarco
Lauren :)

sewing IS love.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007 12:19:27 PM »

When I said sugar.. I meant the glaze... haha. but in the recipe that is still a ton of sugar, I usually cut it down quite a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L-train
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007 06:47:52 AM »

Not a recipe suggestion, but have you looked into substituting ingredients? half a banana, mashed, can be substitued for 1 egg, and of course soya milk & vegan margarine can be used in place of milk & butter. I've used these alternative ingredients a few times (though never in cookies) and have always had good results. I think tofu can take the place of eggs as well but I'm not sure what quantities to use...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DeadGirl
I am the lemon zester of destruction!

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007 07:28:02 PM »

I also have suggestions! I was a vegan for a while, and I've always loved to bake, so I was desperate for good egg substitutes. The best thing I ever used was Bob's Red Mill egg replacer. It was easy to use and nobody could tell the difference! If you can't find that brand, I'm sure other egg replacers would work well too.
Apple sauce also works pretty well, although it makes thinner cookies. (But it makes awesome pancakes if you're interested!) 3 tablespoons of apple sauce= 1 egg.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mskortknee
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007 07:57:07 PM »

I've never made cookies well, but this recipe I found is a huge hit among vegans and non alike.  I put tons of cinnamon in, it really makes it.  I hope you enjoy!

http://vegweb.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=0b0253b24c3cc898cb0527597c4d5bb9&topic=6391.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EffortlessxGrace
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007 06:27:06 AM »

I have a FANTASTIC recipe for peanut butter cookies! <3
I make them a lot...like, almost every week. haha.
Jay (my boyfriend) & I can't get enough of them.
+Plus, they are super easy to make Cheesy

You'll Need:
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup smooth [unsalted] peanut butter*
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1tbs cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt*

*I use Peterpan's Honey Roast (smooth) Peanut Butter, it has salt in it, but I just don't add the 1/8 tsp salt, so it works out. besides that-its realllllly good with the honey peanut butter. yummy.

Preheat Oven to 350 F (& Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets)
In Mixing Bowl: Cream together oil, sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla.
Add corn starch, beat till well combined.
Add the rest of the ingredients (Flour, salt, baking powder); Mix well.

Drop rounded tablespoon size drops on the cookie sheet(s) and press a little bit with a fork to make the the indentations & flatten em a smidge.

Bake 10-12 minutes. (my oven is like crazy weird, and cooks things quicker than recipes usually call for so...thats why I say 10-12, haha)

PS-These are FANTASTIC with a glass of soy milk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Free your mind, and your ass will follow" -Funkadelic
Eryn
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007 08:50:39 AM »

The chewy choc choc cookies on the ppk website are delicious. They are really chewy and chocolatey, if you hadnt guessed that from the name. They are fairly easy to make.

I would post a link but the websites down at the moment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007 10:43:47 AM »

OOooh, I have a great vegan choc. chip cookie recipe!  It's basically just an adaptation of the Tollhouse recipe.  I make it so often that it's been branded into my brain.  That's probably a bad thing.  Wink

Fantastico Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies of Yummy Goodness

1 cup (2 sticks) of Earth Balance Buttery Sticks (room temp)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. flaxseed powder plus 1/2 cup warm water
2 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt (optional)
2 cups vegan chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Mix buttery sticks with sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla until creamy.  Combine the flaxseed powder with the warm water and mix well, then add this to the main batter.  The batter will separate a little bit, which is normal.  In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and gradually mix these into the main batter.  Stir well.  Add chocolate chips, and drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until tops are golden brown.  I usually take mine out a little premature, while they are still quite gooey, so that they harden only a little while they cool and thus stay chewy.  YUM!!

Some notes on the ingredients...
*   I LOVE Earth Balance buttery sticks for baking.  Unlike most margarines, they do not separate during frying or baking.  Spectrum is another option, but I personally think it tastes, smells, and looks gross.  I haven't baked with it in a looooong time, since E.B. has been on the market.
*  There are many options for egg replacers (i.e. Ener-G Egg Replacer).  For this recipe, I like the flaxseed powder/warm water method.  You can buy whole flaxseeds and grind them in a coffee grinder to end up with flaxseed powder.  If you buy flaxseed meal, it's good to run it through the grinder, too, to produce a finer powder.  The flaxseed powder releases oil when it's combined with warm water, then acts as a binder in the recipe without being too oily. 
*  I've added 1/2 extra cup of flour to the original Tollhouse recipe, which I find plumps up the cookies somewhat yet doesn't make them taste overly floury.
*  I'm at high altitude (5300 feet).  I didn't change the recipe from when I lived at low altitude, but you might find it needs some tweaking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit with Knitting Needles Part 3/4
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 3/12
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 34/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 5/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 35/35
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...