A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wedding dress-a-long?  (Read 17470 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Quincy134
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007 07:14:24 PM »

The last weekend in June, 2008!!!!  The countdown begins. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sharonan
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007 10:22:09 AM »

Can I join too?  I have volunteered to make a friend's dress for September.  She is delivering the fabric to me this weekend and we will take the measurements.  My only concern is that she (and me too) struggle with weight so the timing is going to be critical - when will be figure that this is the weight she will be??? The other challenge will be that she expects to be out of town all summer so this will need to be done remote!  The pattern is a simple strapless design from Vogue and the bodice is shown as embroidered.  She doesn't know it yet, but I plan to hand embroider the bodice for her (I inquired about having it done commercially but the set-up charge is outrageous).  I'm sure that there will be frustrating times along the way and maybe questions - can I post them here for your encouragement?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007 03:41:05 PM »

of course, join the fun (and frustration!). My gal-pal is set for September, too, so you and I will be on the same schedule =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
sharonan
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007 05:10:15 PM »

My friend brought her fabric to me today.  We had a great lunch and then took the fabric back to my house.  It's beautiful!  Organic silk from England.  Then we looked at the two patterns she had selected along with a magazine pic of another dress.  After some discussion we selected Vogue 2717.  http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n266/sharonan/V2717.jpg

Then we took some measurements and looked at her bridesmaids dresses on line (J. Crew).  Then we shared stories of Bridezillas and she pledged not to morph into one.

Once she left, I started reading the pattern envelope and my heart sank....it looked like she hadn't bought enough fabric!!  Panic started to set in.  Thank goodness for that bottle of wine on the counter!  

Well, after reading the directions more than once (they are really sketchy in some important ways - don't even mention the chiffon layers for instance) and taking the pattern apart and reading the instructions again and peering at the picture through my wine-enhanced vision I finally figured this thing out.....that dress has a foundation, a lining, a layer of fabric, a layer of netting and two layers of contrasting chiffon or organza.  No wonder they are calling for 10 metres of fabric for the overdress (the chiffon layer).  And my eyes may be old (50 ish) - I can't even see the overdress in the picture!!! My friend is madly doing Weight Watchers to stay on track for her wedding - I don't think she needs to wear 7 layers of fabric (even if some of them are really thin!)  

So - great news - we have enough fabric and the pattern will be so much simpler than Mr. Sassoon dreamed up.  

The other good news is that, because of the construction of this dress, I can do a muslin and fit it, then do the lining and fit it and not worry about even cutting the main fabric until the lining fits perfectly. I can leave it really late so that we can see what happens to her weight this summer!

Whew - time to drink the rest of the wine in celebration for the solving of the first problem!!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013 07:55:59 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed non-working image to link » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fleur_delicious

i like contrast

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007 12:03:24 AM »

sharonan - cheers to that!

from my bleary-eyed view (only a quarter of a glass of wine - I think the bleariness is actually from a slight sunburn from reading outside today), I can't make out an overlay (much less a contrasting one!) on that gown, either. Perhaps it's optional, in another view of the dress?

here's to having enough fabric, enough time, and enough wine! (and not a bridezilla in sight)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

sharonan
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007 08:44:37 AM »

'contrast' must mean something different to this designer than the rest of the world.  If you peer really closely to this dress and look at the hem on the right side you can see that there is an overdress of chiffon.  He used two layers of chiffon sewn together as if they were one (not that the instructions are very clear on this point!).  That is the layer that has buttons.  The dress underneath has a zipper and then below that there is lining, a layer of netting and a foundation.  The alteration I will have to do is to insert the zipper into the lining layer and put the buttons on the main fabric layer - and that will work better anyway. 

The dress is also totally lined with netting (doesn't that sound comfortable!!) So I understand that the netting will help the dress stay poofy but that layer won't be necessary in the bodice - so I'll be looking to find a way to eliminate some of that.  The silk is more like raw silk and is pretty firm already.  Does anybody have any experience using netting as an underlining?? If I decided that the dress only needs to have the netting from below the hip line to the hem, and given that it is princess line with all the seams, do you think it would work just to take the netting to below the hip line and not even finish the top edge of the netting? The fabric has a horizontal 'slub' - so even if there was a slight line where the neeting ends, it shouldn't show.   Then, when she wants to cut the dress to cocktail length later she could just cut out the netting altogether.  Any thoughts??

Thanks for the help!!

....Sharon
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fleur_delicious

i like contrast

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007 09:18:45 AM »

I'm still hung up on teh fact that her lining will be netting. Are you going to do another layer under that, something easier on the skin? Even with princess seams giving her some space so it's not pressed right to her skin, I'm itchy just thinking about that.

my experience with nylon net has been that it doesn't fray or pull apart without a good hard yanking tear. It seems to me that hemming it (especially that top edge at the hip) would only add unnecessary bulk and increase the potential for a visible horizontal line, you know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quincy134
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007 10:21:37 AM »

I would agree that you probably don't need to hem the netting.  Check a swatch to make sure the edge isn't going to fray, but I really don't see it as being an issue. 

maybe you could flat line the netting to another lining fabric, so there is a layer between the skin and the net?   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sharonan
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007 10:35:15 AM »

Thanks for the help!  I wasn't clear in my description of the netting.  It gets fixed onto the fashion fabric (silk) as an underlining.  Next to her skin is a foundation and a lining.  My thought was to stop the netting at about hip or waist level rather than taking it right up to the top of the bodice.  If the purpose is to make the skirt poofy, the netting isn't needed in the bodice - where there is already boning in the foundation.  The skirt is Princess line - so it would be attached firmly all around - so the issue was the upper level of the netting.  I can't see any risk in just leaving it raw - it should be protected by the lining and shouldn't shift around with all the seams...does that make sense?  For the hem - I was going to trim it so that it gets caught into the hem but not folded over. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sajona
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2007 08:28:28 AM »

Thanks for the help!  I wasn't clear in my description of the netting.  It gets fixed onto the fashion fabric (silk) as an underlining.  Next to her skin is a foundation and a lining.  My thought was to stop the netting at about hip or waist level rather than taking it right up to the top of the bodice.  If the purpose is to make the skirt poofy, the netting isn't needed in the bodice - where there is already boning in the foundation.  The skirt is Princess line - so it would be attached firmly all around - so the issue was the upper level of the netting.  I can't see any risk in just leaving it raw - it should be protected by the lining and shouldn't shift around with all the seams...does that make sense?  For the hem - I was going to trim it so that it gets caught into the hem but not folded over. 

As long as you have some sort of fabric to interline the bodice apart from the fashion fabric you don't need the net - I use a stiff cotton for boned bodices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My biz page on FB: https://www.facebook.com/CarolinePearceKnitwear
My blog: http://sajona.blogspot.com/
My flikr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/95027356@N00/sets/72157602013921043
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rocky Road: A Delicious Dessert For a First Date
Perfect Crust For Your Summer Pies
Make Smores at Home
Seven-Minute Frosting for Coconut Cupcakes
Dairy Free Cupcake Frosting Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...