A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Toddler Poncho with Tutorial  (Read 10574 times)
Tags for this thread: poncho , toddler , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 09, 2004 09:38:18 AM »

Ok, here's my latest finished project.  It's project #4, and my first with no real pattern.  Of course, you hardly need one, since there isn't any shaping.  It's just two rectangles sewn together.  (Well, three if you count the stripe.)

Here's the poncho:

A closeup, because I LOVE the fringe.  It took me as long to do the fringe as to knit the pieces.

And my girl modeling:

(It was late at night, and she was being slap-happy, so she looks kinda' goofy, hiding her hands under there.  She loves wearing the thing because if she swaggers just a little all those beads make the niftiest swooshing noises.)

And here's how I did it:
I wanted a toddler poncho, but I wanted something super easy, that knitted up fast and was washable and easy to care for.  I didn't really like any of the patterns I saw on pattern sites, and I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on yarn.  Then, I came across a vintage pattern book with a really adorable poncho in it.  It was much more sophisticated a style than most vintage ponchos; more like today's styles than like the 70's orange/brown ones.  But, it was for an adult, and used really nice wool yarn that was no longer made.  For obvious reasons, this wouldn't do.  So here's what I did:

I noted what the length of each rectangle in the adult pattern was, and the found a chart that had typical body measurements for adult's and children's clothing sizes.  I took a ratio of what the average medium-sized womens' shoulder size compared to the width and length of the poncho pieces.  Then I did a little algebra, using the size 2T shoulder size, and found what the length and width of my 2T poncho pieces should be.  As you can see, it turned out to be the PERFECT size, so I highly recommend this method, and that way ANYone can make ANY simple adult pattern into a child's.

Anyway, I had this yellow cotton yarn.  It's actually Aunt Lydia's worsted crochet cotton/acrylic blend.  I got two 400yd balls at Walmart on clearnance for $1.50.  I worked up a swatch and figured my guage, then decided how many stitches I'd have to cast on to meet my length and width, including an extra stitch for the seam edge, and figured how many rows I'd have to knit, adding one extra row, also for a seam.  The stripe was a happy accident.  Since I'd knitted 4" of swatch already, I didn't want to unravel it and start over, so I decided to keep going, even though that piece fell 2" short of what I needed.  I knit the correct number of rows, knit my other piece to measurement, then went out and bought another ball in white and knit the extra 2" in the contrasting color.  Then I sewed it all together and added the fringe.  I did not block this thing.  It rolls in a little at the neck, but that doesn't bother me that much, and the fringe keeps the other edges from curling.  I haven't even washed it yet, so once I do, I'm sure some of that can be taken care of.

All told, this poncho, including the fringe, took 1 and a half 160 count packages of alphabet beads and about 3/4 of a ball of yellow yarn, plus probably less than 1/8 ball of white.  The beads cost me more than the yarn.

This is SUCH an easy project, and works up so quickly.  I've gotten compliments from everyone who see's it, and my aunt even told me I should sell the things.  (Ugh, not with that fringe on them.  I wouldn't be able to make enough money to cover my time alone!)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010 02:51:54 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004 09:47:23 AM »

That is so adorable! The fringe came out great, and I love how you put the alphabet beads on there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovemyff
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004 11:31:46 AM »

That's so adorable! And the fringe really makes it special and sets it apart from all the other ponchos out there. I'm working on one for my daughter too. It's a child's version of the harlot poncho with eyelash yarn at the bottom. I'm hoping to finish it today!

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marnewein
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004 01:07:50 PM »

So cute!  The beads really make a nice touch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naildiva
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004 01:54:32 PM »

Do you mind sharing the measurments? I have been looking for one to make my daughter but I could not find toddler sizing. I'm not good at math at all. The poncho looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004 05:36:04 PM »

Thanks everyone!  I'm really pleased with it, so I'm really happy to hear others like it too.  (Helps me make sure I'm not totally crazy yet.)

Measurements:

In the original pattern for an adult size, two 14" x 28" pieces were made.  A good average for shoulders for womens' S-L is 16.5".  A size 2 has a roughly 8" shoulder.  Using the ratio, the 14" side should be reduced to about 6.78", but I rounded up to 7", and the 28" should be reduced to 13.56", but again, I rounded up to 14".  This kept the aspect ratio the same for my pieces as for those in the original pattern, as well.  (Twice as long as they are wide.)  If you want a good starting point for other toddler or child sizes, let me know. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
craftymodster
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004 06:57:32 PM »

Very lovely (both the poncho and your wee lass!)!  Thank you for sharing the pattern and end splendid results.  It may come in handy at my abode...with time.  Maybe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'd rather be creating an utter mess
mjdeneen
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011 04:22:22 PM »

The poncho is VERY cute and so is your daugher.  I am having the same issue with sizing for my daughter.  She has picked out a poncho that is for an adult.  I have no idea how to scale this down to a size 12 or 14 child.  You completely lost me in your directions as to how you did it.  The poncho I am going to do is a rectangle where an adult small would be 18 1/2" wide X 49" Long .  A medium would be 52" long and a large would be 55" long.  Do you have any idea how to scale this down?  Thanks so much for any help you can give!!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Social Network as an Actor
How to Stay in Character for an Audition
Watch This Instead Predators
How to Export Your Project in Premiere Pro CS5
How to Create a Custom Sequence in Premiere Pro CS5
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...