A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,100
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: One large, white reason never to tell your teachers that you know how to sew...  (Read 2934 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jjgirl

I love crochet patterns & crochet hats!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2007 12:50:39 PM »

As the title implies - I learned my lesson this past summer and finally have pictures to prove it.  At the end of last school year, my AP American History teacher called me aside after class and said that he heard I could sew.  Based on the fact that I had only started sewing a few months ago, I'm not quite sure how he found out, but apparently information travels fast among teachers.  Anyway, with his smooth talk and pleading, and I'm convinced some use of illegal substances, I agreed to make a snowman suit for a club which I, again, possibly under the influence of illegal contraband, signed up for. 

After hours of tracing myself, fitting the suit, cutting the chicken wire for the head, bandaging my hands, making the buttons, sewing a top hat, cutting a scarf, resewing the hat, and cutting the chicken wire some more, I finally ended up with the final product: meet Frosty.  I was give a mere $50 for my labors, but I guess I shouldn't complain as I probably ended up making $.00003 an hour when it was all said and done.  Sounds about right for a highschool student.

You can view my lovely creation at http://www.franklinregional.k12.pa.us/highschool/ (the very last picture at the bottom of the page).  And as if making the snowman suit wasn't horrible enough, they made me dress up like an elf and take pictures with elementary kids to top it all off.

Moral of the story: NEVER, EVER, EVER tell your teachers that you are in any way crafty, or you might end up spending half your summer vacation like this!

(P.S. Last week, he asked me to make a bunny suit for Easter, and I near about peed my pants, but was able to respectfully decline, before I spent weeks of my life smashing my sewing machine.  But if anyone want to make a bunny suit for $50, let me know and I'll give you his name!  Haha....)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy: www.jjcrochet.etsy.com
My Website: http://www.jjcrochet.com
My Blog (with free crochet + knit patterns!): www.jjcrochet.com/blog
www.facebook.com/jjcrochet
BrightEyes_PR
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007 01:05:35 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I almost laughed out loud (n not good cause I'm workin).  Chyet like that will ALWAYS happen.  Loved the suit, tho.  HS will always have great memories...trust me...u'll miss 'em.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for my 360 theme!!  http://my360theme.com/theme_detail.php?id=219

I never have an idle day,
New ideas come my way.
Don't know yet what I'll create,
But my imagination's great!
svanalyn
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007 01:09:30 PM »

Hehe...

I think you did a great job. The snowman looks great. I especially love his hands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coolgrin
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007 01:12:31 PM »

Well that's a mighty cool snowman. You did a great job. Teachers will try to rope you in to everything.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007 01:18:25 PM by coolgrin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Overheard in New York http://www.overheardinnewyork.com/

Man to girlfriend: Shit, I like that Martha Stewart. She a gangsta in disguise.

--Kmart, Astor Place
SaccharineSunshine04
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007 01:14:12 PM »

I would be laughing out loud, except I'm in school. . .but funny story. And I agree, never ever tell teachers you sew. They ask you to make things and don't realize it take forever to make one thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.wists.com/SaccharineSunshine04
You were born an original. Don't die a copy.
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007 01:17:35 PM »

That's not sewing. That's architecture.

BE SURE to put your name and date inside that suit. Because you KNOW it's going to be worn for the next 50 years!

REALLY impressive.

PS: Next time (there's always a next time) when someone pops the "do you know how to...(fill in the craft/activity here)?"

Answer
"Why do you ask?"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007 01:44:51 PM »

At least you only had to be an elf.  I mean, you could have had to WEAR the snowman costume, too  Wink

It is really awesome, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
Velour
Lady of the Scissors

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007 02:04:45 PM »

Heeheehee, great story! Smiley

At least it was for your school! When my English teacher found out I made cards, she wanted to draft me into doing wedding thank-you's for her daughter..  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing is craftier than a story Smiley http://writwratwrote.wordpress.com/
gebah

this is a test....lol

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007 02:14:23 PM »

great job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nellum
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007 02:30:12 PM »

You know what I'd do?  I'd take the carrot, buttons, and hat off of the snowman, and slap on some bunny ears and a pink nose, and take the man's $50... just me though
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Master the Twist-Out Hairstyling Method
Try Braided Bangs With a Messy, Braided Pony
How to Create the Donut Bun Look
Tips For Younger Looking Hair
Go Wild with Your Hair Texture
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...