A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 313,045
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: edwardian-style (?) built by wendy top  (Read 6109 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007 02:01:53 PM »

that is fantastic! I love the print with the reds- it is really unique! I made the same top and it made me look pregnant, so I attached two ties that were about 3 inches wide and 2 feet long at the side seams right below the bust, and it makes it a lot more flattering. great job!

blog!  http://nomoresweaters.blogspot.com

how do you catch a unique squirrel?............. u-nique up on it.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007 02:56:13 PM »

That is the cutest interpretation of that top I've seen yet and the one that is going to make me sew my own.  I've made the dress (3964) and ended up going down from a size 12 to a size 6, did you find that to be true of this pattern as well?

As for the gaping at the neckline, I agree with educo that it is most likely because of the fabric there being cut on the bias, here's an easy fix for next time or anytime.  That pattern probably has you stay stitch, since the dress pattern had me do that, but when you are staystitching around the neckline or sewing anything to the neckline (facings, collars, etc...) try sewing directionally from the Center Front to the Center Back.  It'll take two swoops to get along the neckline instead of one but it's totally worth the extra turn.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007 03:43:43 PM »

looks great, and perfect fabric.  necklines always do this, V's are the worst.  I always make necks a little smaller than you would think, the previous techniques are really important, reinforcing that edge.  you can take a little dart in the pattern right there.
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007 04:28:20 PM »

That is really cute! In fact it reminds me of one of my favorite tops, so I might have to make one myself... Is it in the Built by Wendy book? I've been thinking about getting that.

Stories last longer: but only by becoming only stories.

Clare K. R. Miller
Rowdy Vamp Raquel
Sewing till the death...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007 05:53:36 PM »

Oh, I like it alot. It looks super duper comfortable! I would agree with the others and say you should stay-stich the next time. I am in love with shirts like that, but I do have to suck in my tummy when wearing them because of the whole pregnancy thing.

La Principessa
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007 06:51:43 PM »

I absolutely love it! Well done.

http://whatiwore.blogspot.com is the coolest website ever!

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007 02:05:44 AM »

hmm.... it had  iron-on interfacing and i did staystitch it too... maybe it's just gapey because i don't fill it out properly bustwise. damn!

thanks for all the compliments everyone! Cheesy i think this is my favourite thing i've made so far.

snaggletooth: no, i'm normally a 12 in patterns, and the 12 said it was for a 34" bust, so i made the 12... though given the gaping maybe i will try making the 10 next time?

cha.cha.cha: youre right about the sash being flattering. i already have a (bought) top like that, and if I have enough fabric left when i make the next one, i'll add the sash from View A to View B.

ClareDragonfly: No, it's not in her book. it's just Simplicity Pattern 4111 (though i bought that too. i'm a big fan. i find her explanations great for my beginner self, and i appreciate that the styling is a bit more fashionable than most patterns are. makes it more inspiring).

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007 02:22:16 AM »

trust me, it's not the size, it's just because it's on the bias.  Sew U is a great book
s to the ally

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007 01:11:59 PM »

great job....and I LOVE BUILT BY WENDY.  i really like the colors you used!

jackandsally.etsy.com           check it out for handmade clothes for sale...and just check out etsy cause it rules
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007 01:46:11 PM »

I made this same shirt! I like the red detail on yours though! It looks very professional!

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use Architectural Desktop ADT 2007 CURVED ROOF
How to use Architectural Desktop Wall Cleanup at Floor Lines
How to use Architectural Desktop Network Tool Palattes Part 1
The Flexibility and Changes of Fashion
DIY Steampunk Hardware Chess Set - Gomi Style TV
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Spinach Feta Breakfast Quiche
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Asymmetric Cowl
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...