A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 309,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moth holes in gorgeous sweater-what to do?  (Read 447 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ValleyGirl

Cast it down...throw down the fire....

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2007 10:57:39 PM »

Hi everybody!
I haven't been on this forum in a LOOONGGG time, but now i'm back. Hopefully you all can help me out.

I went thrifting today and i found a gorgeous 100% wool sweater-but it has a some unsightly moth holes in it. My mom saw it and promptly told me to throw it out, as SHE thinks it is beyond saving. However, i think that with a little effort, and some TLC i could easily fix it up, as it's too lovely a sweater to toss. It is now in a paper bag, stuffed behind something in a corner of the garage.

Now, i'm aware that the holes have been made by moths or some other nasty bugs, but what i really need to know is how would i go about cleaning/disinfecting the garment and then repairing the holes?

I've heard about the freezing option-i will probably clean the sweater first, then stuff it in the freezer for a few days. Is there anything else that i should know about? Any input is good-i really have no idea as to what i'm getting myself into.

I thought about stitching them up with some yarn my mother has-this seems like the best option for me.

Here are some pictures of it...i think it's simply gorgeous.

This is the first 'adult' sweater that's ever fit me exactly the way i want it to-i refuse to give it up to the moths!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007 11:00:46 PM by ValleyGirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm searching for the light in the darkness and that light is truth. Shine the light on me and let me breathe again....-M.C.
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007 05:56:56 AM »

You could darn the holes with a color that matches as closely as possible and then embroider snowflakes over them.  And if you randomly put snowflakes elsewhere on the sweater it would look like it is all part of the grand design.

I don't have any suggestions for cleaning/disinfecting.  First, I can't wear any kind of wool due to allergies.  Second, I live in the Gulf Coast region of Texas.  It very seldom gets cold enough for long to have to worry too much about lots of sweaters.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Oops Creations
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007 06:13:45 AM »

I was just about to return to the library the Book "Craftivity:40 projects for the DIY Lifestyle" when I remember seeing a very similiar project

http://www.amazon.com/Craftivity-40-Projects-DIY-Lifestyle/dp/0060841303/sr=8-1/qid=1169129448/ref=sr_1_1/102-5396750-7244131?ie=UTF8&s=books

They tackle this same project on page 78 "Moth embroidered sweater"  They used a buttonhole stitch in a contrasting color to stitch around the holes.  Play up the holes, make them stand out-- instead of fixing the holes, you draw attention to it. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Finally on the Wist Bandwagon:  http://wists.com/OopsCreations

I have loads of good quality CIGAR BOXES available for trade.  Great for purses, shrines, jewelry boxes.  PM for Pics.

Fill a Box is Back
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007 10:32:23 AM »

I like the keep the holes idea but think you should also add some random embroidered or appliqued moths to the sweater maybe with little meandering flight paths following the moths.  This could turn out to be very cute. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007 07:30:19 PM »

I haven't tried this nor have I checked it out but there is a method called reweaving that is quite an art.  If you google it you might be able to find information on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Trick to Making Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Cappuccino-Chocolate Cupcakes
How to Make Ice Lollies
How to Make Avocado-Lime Ice Cream
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Has New York Addicted to Sweets
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom
Artsy Garden
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...