A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt Challenge #1 - Gryffindor Lion Inspired 9 1/2" Quilted Wallhanging  (Read 9453 times)
Tags for this thread: quilting_challenge_1_tiny_quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007 02:04:57 PM »

You deserved the awesome response!! It is an awesome idea well executed!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whimsicalimpulse
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007 03:23:02 PM »

Your site is so neat!  I've never done paper piecing before.. but you have definitely inspired me to try!  I would have never thought of harry potter quilting..

I can't believe you even offer the patterns for free!  Thanks!

I'll have to try something small and see if I can do it before I try one of those though Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You don't sew with a fork, so I see no reason to eat with knitting needles."
Smiley

http://craftymayhem.blogspot.com
ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007 03:37:48 PM »

I'm so excited that you want to try it out!  It really is addictive.  I'm very involved in the Harry Potter craft fandom online, and sharing is part of that.  It makes me happy just knowing there are people out there that might like to try one of my patterns.  Smiley

There are lots of free resources online for learning to paper piece, most of which have patterns you can print out for practice.  I've recommended Christine Thresh's Paper Piecing Primer to quite a few people and she even gave me permission to use in a demo I did for a local charity group.  There are tons of others out there, too, but it's a good place to start.  Check your local library too, there are lots of books available.  Anything by Alex Anderson or Carol Doak are great to start with.

I have my first paper pieced square hanging over sewing machine as a reminder that we all have to start somewhere.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewhooked - quilt patterns, crochet & crafts
Fandom In Stitches - free multi-fandom quilt patterns by fans for fans (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Disney & More!)
dancingrabbit
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007 10:32:57 PM »

Aw! Some!  Beautiful!

I'm very impressed.  Great job on the colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thismomsews
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007 08:14:43 AM »

Wow-that is so cool!  I may have to give paper peicing a try now. (adds to ever-growing list of projects...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arabella
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007 10:14:47 PM »

that's fantastic and you have a great web site (I love the "burrow" and the dementor is spot on!)  I can't wait to see the finished quilt!

thanks for sharing all your patterns with us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
absenceofcolour
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007 07:41:33 PM »

How great! That lion looks amazing! I've just started quilting and I saw a TV show recently that featured paper piecing but it went so fast it confused me. That site you recommended was great, it cleared a bunch of things up for me!

I like traditional quilts, but what really got me wanting to start quilting were quilts sorta like yours, one big quilted picture. I figure learning the basics can't hurt first, but what do you use when you're designing your quilt blocks? Any steps you take. I have a few sketches I'm trying to turn into wall quilts and I just can't get the proportions right when I begin to sew. Any suggestions are welcomed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SidekickFancy
...and then there was Fancy...

Funny how it feels when there's nothing to say...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007 03:57:42 PM »

Oh that's totally awesome. Wonderful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness can be found in the darkest of times...if one only remembers to turn on the lights.

You can lead a heart to love, but you can't make it fall.

http://www.wists.com/thegyrlwholived
ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007 03:25:41 PM »

I like traditional quilts, but what really got me wanting to start quilting were quilts sorta like yours, one big quilted picture. I figure learning the basics can't hurt first, but what do you use when you're designing your quilt blocks? Any steps you take. I have a few sketches I'm trying to turn into wall quilts and I just can't get the proportions right when I begin to sew. Any suggestions are welcomed!

Using Photoshop, I draw what I want my picture to look like in the proportions I want.  I always use 5" because it's easy to do the math for making it bigger. Then make it as geometric as possible without losing the design.  I start breaking it apart like a puzzle using  lines.  It can take a painful, long time depending on what I'm designing. 

The best part is that once the pattern is finished, I can use it over & over and share it, too.  I made a lot of blocks from other people's patterns before I started designing.  That actually happened because I needed a gift with the symbol of a charity I volunteer for on it, which happened to be a patchwork heart.  Then I thought it would be great if I had a pattern I could share with the other volunteers and then it all just kind of went crazy from there!

My first "original" pattern here.

I'd suggest practicing lots and getting a feel for how patterns work.  Once you understand the principals, I really think you can create your own designs.  Some shapes are easier than others, but where there is a will, there is definitely a way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewhooked - quilt patterns, crochet & crafts
Fandom In Stitches - free multi-fandom quilt patterns by fans for fans (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Disney & More!)
Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

Hufflepuff Seeker - Dork Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007 03:17:30 PM »

That's a fantastic quilt! I knew as soon as I saw it that it was Gryffindor.

Amazing!  And I love the idea of doing the other houses and making a quilt out of them
Oh, that's such a fantastic idea.

Drat - now I'm going to have to add "quilting" to my list of crafts I need to learn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LOOKING FOR A PERSONAL SWAP: I'm hoping for dinosaur-themed Xmas crackers, or other dinosaur Xmas items. I can make a Jayne Cobb hat, or many other things!

"Before we begin, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you."

Wists & LJ links in pro
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
NewBeauty Magazine Beauty Choice Awards: Product Highlights
MAC Collaborated with Kelly and Sharon Osbourne
Best & Worst Beauty
DIY Makeup Setting Spray
Birthday Girl Zooey Deschanel Tells Us Her Beauty Secrets
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...