A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ::Voodoo Love:: EDIT - New Pics  (Read 14953 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

timpani~jax
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007 02:12:44 PM »

i adore the stitching...and the applique heart. it does have a frankenstein feeling to it but way cuter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SinDoll
Adam West

Wednesday grew up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007 07:26:39 PM »

Really nice and unique! Did you use a pattern?

Yeh I used my dress blocks from college and drafted my own. I kept the bust dart and the waist darts in the front and back but removed the shoulder darts from the front and back. It's quite a simple pattern but I think it's the neckline, how the straps kind of angle away from each other that makes it not so average Smiley
Aaargghhhh!  I know exactly the dress you are talking about!  It was uncanny because at the time I saw this dress I was also working on my own appliqued heart dress!  

I bookmarked the page and now for the life of me I cannot find it and am going mad!

Anyway, your dress is truly adorable! I have always had a fondness for embroidery with "primitive" stitching (reminds me of Frankenstein somehow).

Additionally, the dress seems to fit so well (the style definitely gives it that coveted, vintage, hour-glass appearance), is it made from a knit fabric?  

Found the site:: www.poisoncandyfashion.com
there's alot of inspiration there, and actuallylookig at that stuff I was like, what the hell, how can they sell THAT for that much, so now I feel more empowered to continue with my label!

it's just made from cheap cotton poplin (($2.99/m from spotlight hurrah)) but its nice and lightweight and when i go to gigs I don't want to be wearing mini skirts or shorts, so this was nice and lightweight for hot summer nights Rawr!

The reason it fits so well I think is that it has the darts in the waist, I'm constantly trying garments on to see how they fit, because I've learnt the hardway that there is ALOT of unpicking to do if you mess up! So After I;ve done all the darts etc, and i'm up to the sideseams, I try it on inside out and pin it to me, to see how close to do the seam allowance. Then when the sideseams are done I try it on the right way and see if there's any bubbling between the darts etc, and if there is i just unpick the darts, and redo them according to the way my body curves. It's very customised to my body, So if someone my size tried it on, it mightn't fit so well Smiley ((Yet to apply this technique to sewing for other people Smiley thinking about when I make a custom garment for someone to invite them over for a few hours, so i can try it on them constantly, its impossible to make custom garments for people when they aren't there))
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weberly
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007 08:13:37 PM »

oh i like yours better!  i'm really glad to find that site again too, lost it a while back.  my daughter's not goth/rockabilly at all (what we used to call mod) but she is artsy and intelligent-loves New Orleans, and I'm really thinking she might just love this, i think it's genius! well if nothing else one of us is going as a voodoo doll next halloween.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i_am_alexia
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007 08:28:22 PM »

The reason it fits so well I think is that it has the darts in the waist, I'm constantly trying garments on to see how they fit, because I've learnt the hardway that there is ALOT of unpicking to do if you mess up! So After I;ve done all the darts etc, and i'm up to the sideseams, I try it on inside out and pin it to me, to see how close to do the seam allowance. Then when the sideseams are done I try it on the right way and see if there's any bubbling between the darts etc, and if there is i just unpick the darts, and redo them according to the way my body curves. It's very customised to my body, So if someone my size tried it on, it mightn't fit so well Smiley ((Yet to apply this technique to sewing for other people Smiley thinking about when I make a custom garment for someone to invite them over for a few hours, so i can try it on them constantly, its impossible to make custom garments for people when they aren't there))

As my mum always said (and still does everytime I screw up) the main stitch a seamstress with do is a backstitch. (as in unpicking - took me a while to get that haha). I can't do ANYTHING without unpicking it a gajillion times, and it's not even cos I'm a perfectionist, it's just cos I rush into things.

And I REALLY like the dress. I don't think I have the figure for a dress like that, but I might steal the idea for a top Smiley It's gorgeous and you look awesome in it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zorak: Are you really that stupid?
Brak: I dare you to say that again only this time say Brak I love you.

http://i-am-famous.livejournal.com/ For all my crafty goodness.
SinDoll
Adam West

Wednesday grew up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007 11:52:49 PM »

well if nothing else one of us is going as a voodoo doll next halloween.

it would look freakin awesome in hessian ((you'd prolly have to line it tho to stop the itchiness))

It's gorgeous and you look awesome in it!

Thanks so much, I'm definitly going to make a few more dresses with this pattern Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weberly
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007 01:18:40 AM »

well i was thinking about this cool burlap sack with a little girl on the front picking potatoes that i don't know what the hell to do with (i may be up too late again)

or maybe just some trim, add to the effect a bit- and there's hemp, raw silk, linen, i don't know
i think you've got it down
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007 01:48:37 AM by weberly » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachikus
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007 02:03:55 AM »

suh weeet.
I'm gonna make one....one day...when i have money to buy fabric. and i love poplin because its so cheap.
hehe.
yay for scabbing ideas off other people and making them better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stalk me
DangitDana
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007 10:28:03 PM »

so like the cutest dress i've ever seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachikus
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008 11:18:35 AM »

your hair looks hilarious and you look angry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stalk me
opfiend
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008 08:28:52 PM »

i love all your posts and this one is no different! i love everything to do with voodoo dolls and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I feel like just some misplaced Joan of Arc.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New York Fashion Week 2013: Crafting Runway Hair
How to Add Volume to Your Hair with a Volumizing Catalyst
Alexander Wang Reinvents the Ponytail for Spring 2013
Hair Stylist For a Day at Altuzarra Spring 2013
How to Create a Low Ponytail from NY Fashion Week
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...