A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Name that technique - what stitch is this?  (Read 1376 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wealhtheow
if this isn't nice, what is?

ting-a-ling, you bastards!

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2007 06:30:06 PM »

This is traditional Norwegian embroidery as found on some of the folk costumes -- and is apparently a national secret.  I cannot find instructions on how it's done or patterns... I've pirated enough pics to figure out the motifs, but could you tell me - is this just a satin stitch?  It is so beautiful, and I want to add it to my flower girl's dress to reflect my heritage. :-)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007 06:33:42 PM by wealhtheow » THIS ROCKS   Logged
paprika428
***Multi-tasker extraordinaire***

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007 05:14:35 AM »

It looks similar to Hungarian embroidery.
Here's an example: http://www.lmntl.com/pillow.html
My grandmother used to do stuff like it and it was mostly satin.  I think it helps to outline it with a backstitch or split stitch but it's a whole lot of work.
HTH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wealhtheow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007 06:37:57 AM »

Wow - that looks really simillar! Thank you so much for the tips -- after so much searching in 2 languages and getting nowhere, I thought I'd reached the end of the line, but now I have a new lead. I really appreciate your response!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paprika428

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007 07:23:42 AM »

No problem- Glad I could help!  Grin
Let me know if you find out anything.  I have been doing lots of "modern" embroidery (sublime stitching and other stuff) but I'd love to delve into my roots.  It would make my granma proud (she's gone now but you know what I mean). I can always ask around my cousins in Hungary too if we get stuck or for patterns- so let me know!
Csilla
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elizabethdee
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007 07:38:26 AM »

wow, paprika, how amazing that you knew JUST where to go.

wealhtheow, i've got an additional suggestion for your satin stitching if you don't already love your satin stitch. I'm passing this along because I feel so indebted to Craftster and to TreeCactus (a Craftster who has her own extremely informative web site, at www.needlenthread.c om ) for teaching me to do a good satin stitch. If you're interested, look up TreeCactus's video tutorial on the satin stitch (it is probably in the thread at the top of the Discussion and Questions board devoted to her video tutorials).

That is one gorgeous pattern. Please post what you make -- I'm already longing to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mintlatte
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007 08:35:47 AM »

Actually, one of the techniques used extensively in this type of embroidery is very similar to couching......

First a layer of small seed stitching is done to give body to an area..this has to be pretty even, because it is what gives it a "padded" look.  The edging of the flower is actually couching with a satin stitch instead of a typical couching technique.  Although in Brazilian embroidery it is wrapped chain stitches and the effect is similar....

Try looking for books of embroidery technique at your library, some of the ones from the 70's teach this technique a lot, using VERY similar elements and designs, they just don't label it specifically by nationality.

Any rate, I think it is beautiful.....and think it would be a great idea for a wedding...THe satin stitching is beautiful.......
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wealhtheow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007 04:33:16 PM »

You guys are wonderful.  Needlenthread is a brilliant site. Brilliant.  I am going to give this a whirl tonight and will post results of the prototype as soon as I have something to show.  Thank you all so much!
Update: My first try...  Wow. obviously, this is going to take some practice! ( I should probably also post it in Stitch and Botch!). The padded satin stitch is a very cool technique, and seems to work great, I just need to get a good feel for it.  Also, I need to find a better transfer paper.  I bought expensive "wax free" washable paper, and it is not only barely visible, it seems to disappear as you handle the fabric. Bleh.  I will keep practicing -- I will be happy if in 8 months time I'm able to get just one section of the pattern done for the yoke of the dress. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007 07:24:09 PM by wealhtheow » THIS ROCKS   Logged
elizabethdee
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007 08:07:09 AM »

that is a GREAT first go!! satin stitch takes a lot of practice to get smooth -- those samples you posted were the work of experts, remember. you are doing unbelievably well! you have no business on stitch and botch!

what fabric are you stitching on? it's hard to tell from the picture. if you don't mind an unsolicited suggestion, you might find it helpful to work on a piece of linen (and not an especially fine count, 25-count or less) or evenweave fabric to make success a little more achievable. another thing you might consider -- MAYBE -- is making your practice piece just a little smaller, again to make it easier to get the hang of it faster.

re the transfer paper -- i don't know too much about transfer papers, but i have had pretty good luck using a sulky black transfer pen, which by the way is not washable. sometimes i transfer onto solvy (a water-soluble stabilizer) but i wouldn't recommend that for what you're doing.

please keep posting your samples. you're doing wonderful work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paprika428

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007 09:36:34 AM »

Yeah, wealhtheow! Great first try. I remember when I tried to do that kind of embroidery it was frustrating to get it to look that good.
Elizabethdee is right- it's a great try and keep practicing! Those professionals make it look easy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wealhtheow

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007 10:00:21 PM »

Thanks so much for all the encouragement and suggestions!!  I got some evenweave and a packet of the cheap carbon paper - works better than anything else.  This little sample has taken me 3 hours.  Seriously.  And I'm going to need a lot more practice, but I think it's getting better.  The key seems to be the even fabric and a nice bright light!  I'm going to keep posting - we'll see how it looks after a few more practices.  Thanks again so much to everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Akiko Ogawa Backstage Hair Trends - Fall 2009
Georges Chakra Backstage Hair Trends Spring 2011 - NYFW
Gottex Backstage Hair and Makeup Trends Spring 2011 - NYFW
Andy & Debb Backstage Hair Trends - Fall 2009
Custo Barcelona Backstage Hair Trends Spring 2011 - NYFW
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...