A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
369 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: rounder roomy bag  (Read 169879 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , purse , bag , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sushimifune

Life is a gift-horse

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2004 01:01:51 AM »

Here's my tutorial for the bag you've seen here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10071.0

1)

you need two pieces of outer fabric cut following this pattern (full size pattern also available as attachment at the bottom of this post)

it's real sized, but of course you can change it or enlarge it as you like.
Then two pieces of lining fabric, but you don't need to cut the tiny triangles.
Two wooden rings if you like to make the straps like I did. I bought very cheap rings used for the courtains, you know?
More fabric for the straps (depending on the lenght you want them to be) and for the inside pocket.
Oh yes, of course a zipper if you want it inside and the closure you prefer.

2)

you start seving the triangles. I'm sorry I don't know the proper term in english. Anyway, You need them to make the bag roomy  Huh
Just fold the fabric right sides together and line the sides of the triangles. sew. You do it four time (of course!) for each piece of the fabric (2)
this is how it should look like (reverse side)

3)

right sides facing, sew like shown.
When turned on the right side, here's how the bottom of the bag will look like

Do the same with the lining, but leave a little space in the bottom unsewn (5 cm?)
Remember that if you want to add the zipper, you'll have to do it before you sew the lining.

To add the zipper, I used my method
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10066.0
I'll have to update it though, because I found an easyer way to apply the pocket to the back... anyway
or you can use this great, easy method by sewing stars (creator of GORGEOUS bags!)
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=8541.0

4)

before you sew the outer fabric and the lining together, think about the closure and the straps you want for your bag. If you fix them to the bag before you sew the lining, they will be perfecty attached to the whole bag and inserted beetween the two fabrics. (is it clear?)
In this case, i wanted a button as a closure so I pin a tiny strap of fabric to the bag.
If you want the straps, you pin tem to the sides. Remember: always "head down" -the opposite way that you want them to ba after you reverse them... Oh my God my english sucks!

5)

right sides facing, put the outer fabric bag inside the lining. Pin and sew all around the upper part of the bag.
Once you have reversed the bag on the right side, making it pass through the hole in the lining that you left unsewn, this is how your bag will look like.

6)

now if you want the straps like mine, insert the rings in the mini-straps, just fold and sew.

7) At this point you can use your creativity: Use whatever you want to connect the rings and be used as straps. You can use a continuous piece of fabric, lined and folded. Or two separate pieces knotted together, like mine.

Right sides facing, I made these straps shaping them at the top and leaving an open side at the bottom

Turned on the right side and arranged the open side this way

Then I passed through the rings and sewed.

Tie a knot and... voil

http://www.sushimifune.com/crafts/fine.gif

The next time I will use bigger rings or thinner straps. Yeah I like the wooden rings to show more.
So here it is. Use this pattern as you prefer and let me see the results!
There are million way this pattern can be used and changed! Have fun!
Ciao!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011 01:41:27 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pfff
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004 01:20:21 AM »

OMG I love it! Finally a bag with lots of room in it for all those stuff we usually put in it Smiley Its like bulge from before! U ROX!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candy disorder - choose your obsession
superminx
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004 01:36:55 AM »

Awesome tutorial! Thank you thank you Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katybeck
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004 04:59:51 AM »

That was an awesome tutorial  And a really cute bag, too.  Smiley  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal blog: www.katybeck.com
Where I collect my crafty ideas: www.shoestringdecorator.com
Hiccup
I'm not sure...

What do I do with this?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004 05:35:03 AM »

That's a nice looking bag Smiley Thank you for the tutorial! I'm going to have to make one of these soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewing stars
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004 07:04:01 AM »

That tute is great! (your english is just fine...) and the bag is super cute!
I am gonna have to try this!

p.s. thanks for the compliment, your bags are really awesome too, they are always so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
never forget how to fly...
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004 07:22:05 AM »

Love it, whats amazing is I lucked out yesterday at the charity shop and got a bag of 30 of these wood rings for a dollar, I was thinking what the hell do you need 30 rings for Dya lol, now I know.

p.s. the little triangles are called darts.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004 07:24:35 AM by dyabolica » THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004 07:30:42 AM »

a friend of mine just gave me a bag of like 2 or 3 hundred wooden rings yesterday and i was just thinking what am i going to do with these.... awesome bag! awesome tutorial!! i cant wait to try it!
*h
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spiffylindsay
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004 10:37:38 PM »

Wow, I love this bag!  I'm certainly going to make it tomorrow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2004 10:49:45 PM »

Thank you, Sushimifune, for the great tutorial.  I couldn't access your pattern today, so I just kinda sketched my own based on what I remembered of yours.  I cut the D rings off an old belt, since I didn't have wooden rings.  The lining is pink gingham.  There's a velcro pocket.  This purse was sooo much fun to make!  Wheeee!!!!!  Addicted to making purses, which is odd, because up until I found y'all here, I owned one ratty purse!  Now I've got a monkey on my back and even he has a purse!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...