A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,897
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jeans used to be too small >>>>  (Read 1897 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2007 11:53:54 PM »

I have a ten year old daughter who is real tall and ultra skinny so we run into issues with clothing fitting her, if they fit in legnth they are too big throughout the waist, if they fit in the waist they are a few inches too short.  

She has been begging me for a new wardrobe, so rather than running out and getting frustrated with nothing fitting, I decided to revamp her current wardrobe to give her some new looks.  We bought 10 boxes of Ritz dye on sale at Joann's and started redoing her clothes Smiley  Here is the first project that we finished today Smiley (I'll post the others as we finish them up) I'm kicking myself for not taking before photos.  These jeans were real short on her, and originally were a very light blue denim. They were much too cute to completely eliminate the embroidery from the legs, so we worked out how to incorporate it into the finished skirt.  

We cut up the inseam of the jeans (to one side of the seam on each leg) and then cut off the jeans from below the knee.  Then we trimmed up at the crotch to just where it curves and sewed it flat (to form a negative V) then cut around the embroidery portion of the leg parts that we cut off and added it to the openings in the front and back of the skirt.  We then clipped around the hem and the V in the  front of the skirt so that it will frey when we wash the skirt.

We then dyed the skirt with "Cocoa Brown" dye from dritz and voila! a brand new look from something that was destined to go to the goodwill.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010 04:34:52 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007 03:11:32 AM »

Cute skirt ... what a lucky little girtl to have such a cool crafty mom... I cant wait to see what you do with the rest of her wardrobe !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mini
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007 04:32:02 AM »

It's really cute! And nice to see you are teaching your daughter to be individual and creative, instead of running out & buying a new wardrobe! Good for you & for her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lcmiller461
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007 07:53:27 AM »

That is awesome!  I wish I had sewn things with my girls when they were young.  (We're trying to catch up now though.)

btw, don't ever wash that with anything else!  I have to be very careful with my items I've dyed  with Ritz--even after two years!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007 12:59:34 PM »

That is awesome!  I wish I had sewn things with my girls when they were young.  (We're trying to catch up now though.)

btw, don't ever wash that with anything else!  I have to be very careful with my items I've dyed  with Ritz--even after two years!

Maby it was the color you used that gave you trouble... because I use Ritz fabric dye alot and I have never had a problem with it bleeding color after the first wash ... but thats just my experience ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007 04:38:12 PM »

I tend to throw about 2 cups of rock salt in with the dyebath, it helps to set the dye and keep it from staining anything else.  I use the rock salt because it also tends to help soften the denim in the process, and doesn't damage the washer since it does melt off in the water.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sunday Dinner Part 2/3
How to Make Sunday Dinner Part 3/3
How to Make Chorizo Burgers
How to Make an Italian Beef Sandwich
How to Make Sauteed Peppers and Onions
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...