A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: BUSINESS PLAN FOR HANDBAGS  (Read 713 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mahndee73
« on: January 15, 2007 04:31:39 PM »

Hello everyone!
I have been researching business plans and I am a little confused about researching the market and finances.  The plans that I have seen seemed pretty elaborate and I don't think that I need a business plan that is elaborate.  How do you research the market for handbags?  I also have not really seen samples of plans by people who are trying to sell sewing crafts or handbags, so it's been sort of hard to figure out.  I also wonder if you would need it when you are trying to get a store to sell your item? 

Have any of you who sell handbags done a business plan?  What are your experiences with putting one together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007 07:21:45 PM »

Are you selling handbags as a sideline in addition to holding a full-time job (or being a stay-at-home parent)?

If it's a sideline, you probably won't need to put together an elaborate business plan, but it's a good idea to crunch some numbers to make sure you won't lose money.

If your intention is for this to be your primary source of income, then definitely do a business plan, and talk to a lawyer and a CPA.  You will need a business plan if you decide to incorporate or seek a business loan.

Good luck. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

max

Hooked on Purses

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007 09:48:51 PM »

Do a search for sba.com or score. Both sites have a lot of information for entrepreneurs. I make and sell handbags and I wish I had done a business plan and the market research before  I got started.
Good luck!
max
misha.etsy.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LRS
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007 07:42:50 AM »

another source of help:  Small Business Development Centers.  They're located at universities all around the US.  Most of the staff are very good and they understand that not everyone needs a 100 page business plan. 

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy. com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.co m
mahndee73
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007 05:00:02 PM »

Thanks so much for all of your help.  I do have a full time job that  most definitely has to come first.  I have seen some of those "100 page" business plans and It just really freaked me out Ha, ha, ha, but I knew that they were for people who were really putting themselves out there to have that as a main source of income.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bailliesbagsbaubles
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007 11:10:30 PM »

I sell handbags.  I don't have a business plan, but my situation is unique in that I am a military spouse that doesn't stay in one place for to many years at one time.  I did and have done research though.  I wish I had done it before I started selling though, but I started all of this on a whim, so.....  Do research for pricing here, ebay, etsy and of course on line.  I learned alot of info. about pricing here and on the etsy forums.  I was underpricing when I first started selling.  I have also found in my situation word of mouth sales are much better then a shop online.  But, I do see stores selling like crazy online also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007 09:40:35 AM »

A 1-pager is fine to start. Business plans are a guide only, not written in stone. You should take your business plan out every 6 months and look at it and see if you need to change it. Things happen, things change.

Now a budget! That's something to pay attention to!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Redjln
Usually has paint on her hands

Go Down in Flames, only to rise from the ashes...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007 06:01:48 PM »

First off, I don't sell handbags, but I am in the midst of working on my business plan for my little side business. 

So far, this is what my business plan consists of:
The Purpose
The products I offer, and how I intend to expand my offerings.
Customer base/Market Research
Marketing Strategies
Outlets/places to sell

I am finding that I review mine fairly often, and adjust it.  Its not very long, but it is a good guide to keep me on track. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my etsy shop: http://JDx2.etsy.com

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. - Albert Schweitzer
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Fondant Octopus
How to Make a Fondant Mermaid
How to Make Candy Spiders
How to Make a Gluten-Free Mocha Fudge Cake
Meet Randy, The 800 Pound Life-Size Chocolate Saxophonist
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...