A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,248
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is this dog bed as simple as it looks?  (Read 1628 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annacharlotte
« on: September 20, 2007 07:44:23 PM »

Hello,

I have a new rescue dog coming home on October 2nd and am thinking of making her a bed. 

Is this http://www.greenergrassdesign.com/bellapetbeds.html just one long stuffed tube sorta wound around itself and sewn together? 

It seems simple to me...do you think it is?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chubby Pixie
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007 04:12:18 PM »

I saw these beds in my Modern Dog magazine and thought of making one (or six, one for each of my cats and dogs Wink ).  I guess the hard part would be hand sewing the tube together.  I hate hand sewing so I guess that's what keeps me from attempting it.  That and I'm not sure how easy it would be to clean.  Undecided   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annacharlotte
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007 10:11:01 PM »

That's a good point.  I was also wondering about the handsewing...how sturdy could you make it?  I'd be afraid of it unwinding.  Was thinking about doing individual kind of knotted stitches...  but am also thinking I'll probably just buy something for now.  Oh dear...I hope the Craftster gods and goddesses don't strike me down.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyMcGluestick
Propel, propel, propel your craft softly down liquid solution. Ecstatically, ecstatically, ecstatically, ecstatically, existence is simply illusion. -Mr. Rogers

Crafting today for a better tomorrow!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007 01:16:06 PM »

This is awesome. I just found this bed on uncommon goods and emailed my friend to ask her the very same question. She sent me this thread. I love that DIY spirit! I was also wondering about keeping the tubes sewn together and how sturdy it would be, especially with my giant dog being as wiggly as she is. But then I thought--what if I used fishing line to sew the tubes together? I am going to try it out and will post pics here if I'm successful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jagged
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007 09:09:24 PM »

This is a similar idea

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_pets/article/0,,HGTV_3151_2634952,00.html

I would not use fishing line because it is a hazard to pets who like to chew things and could cut their mouth, tongue, and intestines if ingested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annacharlotte
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007 08:04:22 AM »

Wow...six degrees of Craftster separation...or something...  Definitely post pics when you're done.  I was thinking of just using a heavier duty thread rather than fishing line.  They sell higher gauge thread, I have some black that I bought by mistake.  We did end up buying Keilo a bed, but I'd be up for trying this anyway.  Shall we do a dog-bed-along?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyMcGluestick
Propel, propel, propel your craft softly down liquid solution. Ecstatically, ecstatically, ecstatically, ecstatically, existence is simply illusion. -Mr. Rogers

Crafting today for a better tomorrow!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007 07:50:48 AM »

For sure--let's see what we come up with. I'm not a procrastinator, but since becoming a member of craftster, I have like 800 projects in progress. I can't decide which I am most excited about. So right now, is it the dog bed, or is it the upcoming craftster embroidery challenge? Decisions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noushi

interested in doing personal swaps

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007 04:32:58 PM »

A similar idea might be to make the big tube, but instead of sewing it in a "cave shape" you could attach ties every so often and when you spiral it just tie it onto itself without sewing. Does this make since? I'll try to draw a pic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007 03:57:18 AM »

How cool is that bed???!!!
Okay - sewing it on a sewing machine would be nightmarish.  There is just no way that I can think of that you can do that.

Having made a stuffed snake - okay, let me rephrase that - after starting to make a stuffed snake and getting frustrated and chucking it.... much better... I can say one thing - if you decide to do this - make sure you either have the tubes big enough you could stick your hand in to - which could be an issue since it would get REALLY thick that way... this way you can put your hand in it all the way to stuff it.  THe pattern I used for the stuffed snake said to leave parts of the seams every so often unsewn (for you to hand sew up later) so that you can stuff it easier.

I think it is an adorable bed and I have wisted it - I wish I had the time to figure it out for myself - but not right now.  I hope one of you guys get it going.

My dog would chew any ties on the bed - he is a tag shredder and I can just see the glee in his eyes if he saw ties on it.  It would have to be hand sewn on the bottom side for sure - that is a lot of hand sewing.  I wonder how that company makes them in such mass production. there has to be an easier way...!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Germanica

Martha Stewart powers - ACTIVATE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007 01:27:52 PM »

Wow...six degrees of Craftster separation...or something...  Definitely post pics when you're done.  I was thinking of just using a heavier duty thread rather than fishing line.  They sell higher gauge thread, I have some black that I bought by mistake.  We did end up buying Keilo a bed, but I'd be up for trying this anyway.  Shall we do a dog-bed-along?

You could try using tatting thread (do they call it thread or yarn? I'm talking about the stuff that's on a roll and has the consistency of embroidery floss) to sew the tubes together. Whatever you use make sure it's cotton based just in case the dog eats it. Cotton will pass through the dog, fishing line will not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Condo Blues http://condo-blues.blogspot.com/ Green living, crafts, decor and dogs from the Frugal Green DIY Diva.

Lazy Budget Chef http://lazybudgetchef.blogspot.com Real food, real quick, for real budgets

Follow me on Twitter! @condoblues
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Deco Tool in Flash CS4
How to Use the Motion Editor in Flash CS4
How to Use the Spray Brush Tool in Flash CS4
How to Draw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
How to Create Live Paint Groups in Illustrator CS4
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...