A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,523
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL - PSP game case  (Read 5137 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lysaro
« on: January 14, 2007 05:49:26 PM »

My boyfriend recently got a PSP for all those long drives on the weekends.  I thought it was pretty cool until i figured out that he wanted ME to drive while HE played with it!  It's alright though... he switches with me once in a while.

For Christmas I wanted to get him a case for all the games he was collecting but they only cases i could find only held 4 or 6 games and were really expensive for what they were.  I couldn't find anything I liked but I knew one thing... his current method of storage, though it had a high capacity, was definitely lacking in the functional 'protective' nature that cases are meant to provide.

The old PSP game case:

I set out to sew a game case that he would be proud to store his games in.  I used a sturdy brushed denim fabric for the case, some old upholstery fabric for the stabilizer and a zipper.  It holds 12 games and has lots of personal touches like a game logo on the zipper tab and characters from Loco Roco (the first game he bought) on the cover.  That was the best part of the project - I got to use my new embroidery machine to embellish the cover.

Enough said.  Hope he likes it.

The new PSP game case:

Here's what I did...

TUTORIAL - PSP Game Case

NOTES
- all measurements include 3/8" seam allowance
- press & pin everything!
- all dimensions are in width by height

1.  POCKETS

First step... make a 12 little pockets the exact same size.  Measure one of the games you're making the case for.  You'll want the finished pocket 1/4" wider and 1/2" shorter than your game for a snug fit.  For PSP games I started with 3-3/4"x3".  Fold top down 3/8" and stitch to finish top of the pocket.  Clip bottom corners of pocket on a diagonal, fold 3/8" under on sides & bottom.  Your pocket should be 2-7/8"x2-1/8".  Voila!  12 little pockets ready to attach.  As you can see, I've used a decorative stitch to give the pocket a finished look.

2. INNER PAGE

Cut 2 rectangles 9"x7-1/2" from good fabric and 1 from your stabilizer for the inner page.  I used scrap upholstery fabric as my stabilizer rather than something more costly.  Pin pockets as shown in the diagram on both rectangles.  You'll want to be precise in measuring so that the pockets look even.

Stitch sides and bottom of each pocket very close to the edges.  It's a good idea to test the fit of the game at this point.  If they are too loose or too tight you can fix them now rather than waiting and having to undo a lot of your work.  

Once all 8 pockets are attached to both good rectangles, layer as shown (good face up, good face down, stabilizer).  Be sure to orient the pages so all the pockets are facing up!

Stitch around edges leaving 3" open to turn out.  Clip corners on a diagonal, turn inside out, press edges and sew opening.  You have finished your inner page.

3.  OUTER PAGE

Cut 2 good and 1 stabilizer rectangles 9-1/4"x7-3/4".  Prepare the inside cover in the same fashion as the inner page following the diagram below.  Layer stabilizer & cover (face up) and baste around edges.

4.  ATTACH INNER PAGE TO INNER COVER

Position page on cover and stitch down the centre to attach.  Be sure to orient the page so all the pockets are face up.  I drew a chalk line to make sure I stitched straight down the centre and also used the same decorative stitch to attach the page as I've used on the pockets.

5.  PREPARE 16" ZIPPER

Test your game case to see how wide your zipper needs to be to accommodate a case full of games.  Mine had to be 1-1/2" wide.  If you can purchase a zipper wide enough you can skip this step.  If not, and you're using a dress zipper you had lying around like I did, cut strips of fabric and sew to each side of zipper to achieve the desired width as in diagram below.  Remember to include your seam allowance.  I have only a 1/4" seam allowance on my zipper as you can see... oops!

6.  ATTACH ZIPPER

Pin and sew zipper to right side of case as shown (facing up!).  Leave 1" in the centre or spine of the book not attached.  

Be sure to ease the corners so that your zipper forms a 90 degree angle.  This is important so that you'll be able to close the zipper around the inner pages.

Mark the other edge of the zipper across from the exact corner so you can line it up with the corners on the left side of the book.  This will ensure you end up with a square book.  Pin zipper to the left side of the inner cover as shown lining up the corners with your marks.  Sew zipper to left side of book.  Remember not to attach the centre 1".

Once your zipper is attached you can fold the end of the zipper behind the spine and hand tack the 1" gap along your basting line.  This  will be hidden by the cover.

Make a tab to finish the start of your zipper and attach.

7.  MAKE & ATTACH COVER

Cut a rectangle 11"x9-1/4 for the cover.  If you wish you can embroider or silkscreen something on it or you could just leave it blank.  It's up to you.  Here's mine.

Open the zipper all the way so book lies flat, centre and pin book to cover (be sure it's right side up if you've put something on the cover).  Roll edges to cover your basting stitch and stitch around outside to attach cover.  

8.  FILL WITH GAMES & ENJOY!

That's it.  You're done!  

I hope this was helpful.  I'll be around if you have any questions.  Good luck and I'd love to see your case when it's done.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010 10:44:52 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007 05:58:50 PM »

I <3 Loco Roco! 

Very cute!  I might have to make one for myself now.  Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
Samsara
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good..

"I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007 12:41:41 AM »

That is so cool! I have a GBA - it has its own case, but the games don't - I've got to make me one of these!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

relish
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007 08:02:10 PM »

I love this! Great work... looks very well made and much cooler than the ziplock bag Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paulinerose
Vintage inspired design

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007 01:13:38 PM »

That is awesome. Can you please make a tute? I could adapt it for the DS and my son wont loose all his games!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lysaro
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007 07:32:21 AM »

I'll try to put some instructions together, check back in a week.

The only thing you'll really need to alter is the size of the pockets for the games.  I'm not sure what DS games look like.

Thanks for your interest!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lysaro
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007 10:54:22 AM »

I hope my instructions are helpful.  If you have any questions just let me know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunshine11112
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007 02:54:25 PM »

Ha...my boyfriends psp case is a ziplock baggie also....this thread as great because i have been searching all day for the measurements to a psp game so i could make a patter...and now i dont have to! Thank you so much
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rr
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007 03:41:25 PM »

WONDERFUL I think I will make a miny one for the Nintindo games Thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lysaro
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007 03:36:15 PM »

I'd love to see your cases when you're done! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Silly Putty
How to Make a Rainstick
How to Pick Out Knitting Yarn
How to Fold and Sew a Trousers
How to Sew a Torn Seam
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...