A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Quilter Seeks Assistance on Art Deco Quilt  (Read 911 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2007 03:32:47 PM »

I am a brand new quilter. I have only made one quilt before (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=110357.0). My husband and I just bought a king sized bed and I'd like to make an Art Deco-ish quilt. My questions for you guys, the experience quilters are:

1.  What are some good non-traditional quilt pattern resources.

2.  I would machine sew it together but when it comes to the quilting I was thinking hand quilting would be best. But, I have no clue where to start. I mean what color thread do you use so it does not show up too much? Do you switch thread colors to match the fabric color?

So any tips and resources (even art deco photos/designs) would be great! I just figured go to those who know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmoore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007 09:43:41 PM »

For piecing, you can generally get by with black white and a medium grey, though I usually add a medium tan for warm colours (using the grey for most cool colours). They will blend with all but the extreme lights and darks (which is what you'd use black and white for, of course) and are easier to use than trying to match, as you can buy large spools and load up several bobbins before you begin work.
For quilting, you can use one colour of thread, a multicoloured thread, or you can switch colours as you go to match the fabric. This is dependant upon your own preferences.

Art Deco, perhaps surprisingly, can lend itself quite well to quilt making, as it tends to be very linear and flat. You can look at stained glass panes (as they are usually rectangular) or any deco style books (Dover has good ones)-You are not limited by looking for designs specifically made for quilts. Also don't look for quilt designs from that era, as they are decidedly not art deco.

You may also want to bring in a deco look by your choice of fabric.

Here is a small and unusual quilt I made in the Art Deco style a few years back:

I did not use a quilt "pattern" but riffed off of some deco designs I found in a book.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011 03:06:26 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007 06:00:25 AM »

Stained glass patterns! Why didn't I think of that!? Oh thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007 06:27:36 AM »

In my opinion, if you are reallly just doing a first (or second) quilt, you should find a pattern labeled for beginners and follow it, using your own color choices.  If you are new to piecing, you might not realize how complicated some shapes and angles can be to piece.  Also, pattern makers work out measurements and quick piecing techniques that make a huge difference in assembly. 

For example, inset triangles and 60 degree angles are quite tricky as are curves. 

I should say that I am one of those people who prefers to follow patterns.

When you eventually get to the hand quilting, don't do too much changing of thread color.  Use a thread that matches most of the fabric or you'll drive yourself nuts.  Don't fret, quilting reads as texture and the color won't really show up as much as you think it will.

As for thread color for the piecing, I use a tan or grey throughout.  Again, changing thread color is an unnecessary extra step.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007 06:34:23 AM »

Thank you so much for the tips.

I think I'm going to do a big focal pattern in the middle and that's about it. That way I can piece a smaller size together and square off the edges and insert it into a king sized quilt all in one fabric. Then do hand quilting to keep it all together. We have lived in our house for over two years and finally agreed on how to do the bed room so I figured I had better get moving on it before one of us changes our mind again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Cajun Shrimp Scampi
How to Make Mouth-Watering Memorial Day Burgers
Perfect Picnic Rosemary Potato Salad Recipe
How to Grill Up a Tasty Turkey Bruschetta Burger
3 Great Ways to Grill Your Breakfast
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...