A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,644
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Polar Fleece Flat Caps - Now with Tutorial (Three Images)  (Read 4527 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shazrasha

A very crafty Doctor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 14, 2007 07:32:55 AM »

I made these a while ago when I used to wear hats on a regular basis. I had a similar hat in black that was a little small for me and made a pattern for a new one for me after studying it one day.

It's a little hard to tell on the picture but the fleece has polar bears on it. The smaller of the two hats is being sported by my bear Tay so you can tell what it looks like on.

Tutorial - Parts needed (Note I don't use measurements at all for this pattern)

Each piece A is one eighth of a circle. The larger you make the circle the ploofier the hat.
Piece B is made of card (or anything else you want to use as stiffening for the peak.) and part D should be large enough to cover piece B after it is folded once.
Piece C should be as long as the width of your head. The width depends on how much of a lip you want to give the hat.

Step 1: Make sure to cut piece C so that it stretches along the length. That way you can make it a little smaller than head width and the stretch will ensure the hat does not fall off. Sew the short end together.

Step 2: Sew each of the eight piece A sections together to make a circle. It's turn into a sort of bowl once put together completely.

Step 3: Sew piece C to the small opening that occurs of the circle. Make sure the join from step 1 aligns to one of the joins on the circle.

Step 4: This is the trickiest part of my pattern.

Fold piece D and tuck piece B into it as shown by the image on the left. Pull the material so that is is fluch against the peak like the image on the right. Sew along the bottom edge and cut off the excess just enough that you have  enough to allow you to attach it to the rim of the hat opposite the join made by piece C (It isn't the prettiest of attachments but you can't see it when you wear the hat so it's all good Wink )

Step 5: Cover a rounded button with a bit of scrap fleece and attach to top of hat.

And done. If you skip step 4 entirely you end up with a beret. Good luck
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007 08:36:53 AM by Shazrasha » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes I do Personal swaps though you might have to ask me really nicely as I don't have huge swathes of time on my hands Smiley However I love crafting for other people.
diosaperdida
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007 07:34:06 AM »

ooo...that's really, really gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007 07:41:13 AM »

totally cute! I don't suppose you have a pattern for that or anything? My niece'd love a hat like that
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
khraene
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007 08:04:17 AM »

Wow. I absolutely love it! I second the request for a pattern (:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bermuda Travel Guide - WaterLot Inn
Snack Recipes
Beef Brisket Recipe
Super Bowl Food
Healthy Super Bowl Food
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...