A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,151
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bank account?  (Read 1100 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 14, 2007 01:30:31 AM »

Over the last year or so I've started doing craft fairs, commissioned pieces, selling on etsy, etc. I am transferring to a fashion program in the fall and intend to start selling much more stuff (and more expensive stuff.) I have a hard time when it comes to knowing how much money has gone in to crafts during any given time. When I make money, it goes right back in to my checking account and lord knows what I do with it there. My ideal situation is that I buy my craft materials with money I made from selling, so I don't spend all my money on fabric.

My question is this: have any of you opened a separate checking account for your crafty ventures? I could get a free checking account because I'm a student, but dealing with banking can be such as hassle. Have any of you done this? And if so, does it help keep you organized?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007 01:32:17 AM by FlashleyAshley » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ohthatashley.blogspot.com
I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
smegs
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007 01:41:21 AM »

I just keep an accounting ledger for my etsy store and craft fairs. I keep all my receipts in the ledger, so I can keep track of them. All my money goes into my savings account.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Redjln
Usually has paint on her hands

Go Down in Flames, only to rise from the ashes...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007 01:32:40 PM »

I opened a business checking account at a bank that offered free business checking.  Hopefully soon I will start making more deposits to it, as right now I am making deposits that I am writing to get into shows.

I am planning on doing the same thing once my business gets going.... letting it pay for itself more than me investing in it as much as I do currently.

Later,
Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my etsy shop: http://JDx2.etsy.com

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. - Albert Schweitzer
Mishymishy
but you can call me Liz.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007 06:12:30 PM »

I use Microsoft money to keep track. Its awesome because you always know exactly how much you have and it categorizes what you spend your money on. You can make a craft category and it will show how much or your money goes towards it. (one month last year, I realized I spent $8 on groceries and $250 on bar tabs that much using this feature  Embarrassed)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not a woman, I'm a force of nature.

Trying to crochet a star blanket but can't start it? Check out my tutorial for help!
calzephyr
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007 02:47:33 PM »

I run my business as a sole proprietorship. It was recommended to me that I open a seperate bank account, because people can then write a check to my business name instead of me personally. I pay per transaction instead of going with monthly fees.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iamanji
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007 12:23:34 PM »

here is a good question!
Do i have to have a business license to get a business bank account? also my hubby has a business could i put the 2 in one account like a joint account?

We don't generate allot of money, not enough to worry about mixing money like that at least
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't worry about the future, Jared. It's not for real yet.
i-am-anji
http://www.etsy.com/shop/mylittletree
BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007 03:28:52 PM »

I just use excel spreadsheets to organize things. 

I've got a template up in this forum that has the basics for keeping track of how much an item costs and how much you should charge, and on my own personal spreadsheet I added in a place to work out exact supply costs.

If you are going to open an account at a bank, one thing you could do is open a personal account as [name] DBA [craft business name], this way you can accept cheques written out directly to the crafty name as well as still do your personal banking out of it.  (DBA stands for Doing Business As) (I used to work at a bank doing accounts).  A business account will in general have more restrictions on it - sometimes you can only write a certain number of cheques, or extra fees for certain things, etc. etc.  you also would not have your name directly on the business account, you would just be a "signer" on the account, and so you would ont be able to attach the business account to PayPal unless you opened a PayPal business account.   MOST banks require a Tax ID for the business to open a business account, but opening a personal DBA account only requires your SSN.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007 04:16:38 PM »

In Hawaii you need a general excise tax # and a FEIN (you can get one online in a few minutes). You take your GE license and your FEIN # to the bank and they can open it for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lauren Strasnick Reveals the Inspiration Behind Her Book Nothing Like You
Author Jon Scieszka Talks About Spoonfuls of Stories
The World of Philippa Gregory
Peter Akinti Talks About Forest Gate
Author Adena Halpern Reveals Her Favorite Movies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...