A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 308,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
321 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question to those who sell clothes on Ebay  (Read 717 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

responsetogriot
« on: February 19, 2007 01:10:15 AM »

I have no idea if this is a constant question, i am a new member :]. But i have always wondered about the quality of the clothes of that of those that sell their own creations of Ebay. Is it all pro-sewing along the likes of store-bought clothing? I've always wanted to eventually share some of my stuff on Ebay but I have a simple machine and I plan on investing on a slightly better one soon but never would i be able to afford a machine that gives as good results as a factory one. Sorry if this is a stupid question, and continue the great sewing, everyone!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007 04:40:34 AM »

I've never seen this question pop up before, I'm curious too Cheesy x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007 08:37:46 AM »

I think any one who purchases diy /hand made clothing , understands that it is made by an individual and not a factory , so they arnt expecting perfection...Just good qualitly ( you dont wanna sell something that you are not sure is going to hold up to everyday use ) , Id say just be honest in what you advertize. I know having a surger is a big plus , because people trust that surged edges are going to hold up well . Just make sure you put in you ad that what type of machine you used and then ... you shouldnt have a problem . I think the only thing that would be a big problem is if you misrepresented an item and acted as if it has perfect stitching with some industrial machine and then is really wasnt ... you know

Any way good luck and have a great day
Jayne
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007 01:32:53 PM »

Most of the ladies of eBay use sergers and topstitch their clothing in order to assure that the item wont fall apart and they'll have return customers.

The most successful ones on eBay are the ones that put their heart into their clothing.

Lory (theturtlemaggie) and Sharon (Toxic Vision) for example, don't actually have conventional jobs. They sell their clothing for a living. So the time/quality reflects that. They create things that have more detail than a factory-produced piece. They do stuff that you can't convince a machine to do over and over. Then there is the appeal of supporting a DIY girl, because who doesnt wanna quit their crappy job and sew all day?

They also have a presence online. They both use Myspace to promote their auctions, they both have very specific auction layouts that reflect their style, and they list consistantly. They also have GOOD photographs and good descriptions.

Sharon's line is amazing in that the things she makes are works of art. If there was ever punk rock couture, she's one of the figureheads of it. Lipservice makes cool clothes, Dogpile makes cool clothes...but Sharon makes some CRAZINESS that no one hangin out in your local bar will be wearing.

Lory on the other hand usually goes toward the trendier, cuter side of punk rock/urban clothing, and makes a lot of tops with hard-to-find printed fabric. She's got a very defined style.

They both make high-quality clothing, and its definately made better than crap you get at Charlotte Russe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007 02:01:13 PM »

Some of the most expensive couture garments selling for thousands of dollars are completely constructed using either hand stitching or a machine that does nothing but a straight stitch.  There are several ways so finish seams other than overcasting (using a serger or zigzag stitch).  French seams, bound seams using bias self fabric or coordinating bias strips, flat felled seams, it depends on the fabric and style of garment.  Overcasting is used most often for speed and convenience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
L_is_for_lobotomy
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007 08:52:33 AM »

hmm, i was actually wondering the same thing, but it never occurred to me to ask.  thanks for bringing it up!

i'll have to look into this now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...