A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Metro-North commuters who stitch?  (Read 1428 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2007 07:04:39 PM »

Just wondering if anyone is like me...

I live in Fairfield County, CT, and I have a full-time job in New York City.  I always carry a small needlepoint or cross-stitch project with me, and I stitch during my evening commute.  A few fellow commuters have admired my work.

I've occasionally seen fellow commuters doing needlepoint or crochet.  It's a great conversation starter.  There's also a group of 4 men who always take the 6:13 train out of Grand Central, and play bridge during the hour-long ride to South Norwalk, where two (maybe three) of them detrain.

Anyway, if there are any New Haven Line crafty commuters around here, please let me know.  Perhaps we can start a mobile stitching group? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FIFI

It's useful being top banana in the shock dept.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007 04:11:11 AM »

I work in Stamford and live in Bridgeport and usually drive, but if I start to take the train again, I will let you know.
Stitching makes the commuter tolerable, doesn't it?
FiFi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danger0usangel03
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007 08:43:49 PM »

I gop to school at ncc and get off at south norwalk ^_^ i always bring some sort of craft to pass the time weather it be crochet, knitting, trieng to put plushie pieces together ^_^ .. ive never really seen anyone else do it haha im usually the only one but its cool to know im not the only one crafting on the train
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCraftyCat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007 08:12:29 PM »

I am guessing that you mean Norwalk Community College?  I commute between South Norwalk and GCT... I drive over to South Norwalk as it is on the main New Haven line and a major station stop => many more trains.

If you ever see someone doing needlepoint on a New Haven line train that leaves GCT between 5 and 6... it's probably me.

The woman sitting next to me on the train this evening admired my needlepoint... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danger0usangel03
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007 06:53:32 AM »

yupp ncc it is. Ill be taking the early morning train to school this semester and occasianlly leave in the evening taking the 6-7 train back up. Last semester i took the late train back to stratford we might have cross paths and not kno it ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCraftyCat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007 05:28:32 PM »

Bumpity-bump...

The other day, the gentleman sitting next to me admired my cross stitch.  He asked if it was needlepoint, so I explained to him the difference between needlepoint and cross stitch.  Unfortunately, he was kinda broad-shouldered, so I was leaning halfway out into the aisle in order to have enough room to stitch.

Actually, I think people are uncertain whether to talk to me about my crafts, because I'm usually wired to my iPod.  I might get more curiosity if I ditched the iPod, but I like my Evanescence...  People do notice me crafting, though.

BTW I recently had great success knitting a garter-stitch scarf on Metro-North.  I got a circ and just used them as if they were regular straight needles... I would have hit someone in the nose if I'd used my straight needles  Undecided  I'm a considerate commuter... I don't yak on my cell phone and I don't hit other people in the face with my crafts  Tongue

I'd love to get a mobile craft group going, but it looks like a no-go Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danger0usangel03
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007 07:24:00 AM »

hehee thats so cool, ive had a few people look at what im doing. Ive gotten a few weird looks too o_O; like from kids my age or younger -___-; some kids these days pshh, i havent done much recently thou schools got me running all over and so i take my train time to sit back and take a nap lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Highly Textured Hair Tips
How to Highlight Your Hair at Home
How to Add Volume to Your Hair
How to Style Your Hair with Rollers
How to Blow-Dry Short Hair
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...