A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,182
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: button holes  (Read 1214 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twistedlime22
« on: January 13, 2007 05:44:32 PM »

I want to put button holes on a bag I'm making, but i don't know how to cut out the center without the edges fraying.  Huh  Is there some kind of tool or a special way to cut the center of button holes?  Any advice would be great!  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babbyface
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007 09:00:09 PM »

I'm a fairly newbie sewer, but the two times I've made button holes with my machine, I just opened them up with a seam ripper.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkingShears
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007 04:27:00 AM »

When I make button holes, I fold the sewn button hole in half.  Then I make a small cut the center.  When I unfold it there is now an opening that I can get my scissors into.  Then I finish the job by snipping out to the two ends of the button hole, making sure you don't cut into the stitches.  Does that make sense?  Hope so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twistedlime22
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007 02:29:27 PM »

ok great, thanks for the advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gelinlikeellen
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007 01:11:02 PM »

there should also be a button hole maker on yoru machine. it has a long rectangle (mine is 1/3) then on the right next to it there is a zig zagged (2) like going down and then on the right next to that it has the zig zagged going up(4). first set your machine to the to the rectangle and sew for like 4 or 5 stiches. make sure the needle is up before switching it to the zig zag that goes down (2) and stich the lenth you want the button hole to be. once done, make sure the needle is up and set it to the rectangle thing again (1/3) stitch 4 to 5 stitches and then make sure the needle is up and switch to the zig zag going up (4). stitch until back up till you ahve reached the top of the rectangle. then take it out cut the thread and take a seam ripper and cut the inside of the rectangle... thats it... i hope those were good instructions. good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it"
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007 01:15:35 PM »

Assuming you've made the buttonhole properly with your machine, it won't fray when you cut it open, b/c it's bordered by very tight zig-zag stitching.  Just make sure you don't accidentally cut the the threads.  (Ask me how I know.)

PS--> I find a razor blade to be way easier than a scissors or seam ripper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
pibbgirl
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007 04:05:00 PM »

I think you are supposed to open them with a seam ripper.  I start at one end and open it halfway and then flip to the other end and open the other half so that I never accidently cut through the stitching on the ends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missbentley
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007 07:44:39 PM »

Another clever idea is to use an exact-o-knife!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is more important than knowledge
gelinlikeellen
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007 05:45:31 AM »

i've always used a seam ripper and i've never come close to cutting through... but maybe i was lucky
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it"
twistedlime22
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007 09:52:43 AM »

Wow! thanks.
everyone has the same sort of ways of doing it, so that must work pretty well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Fried Potatoes
How to make Pork Ribs in a Dutch Oven
How to make Meatloaf
How to make Southern Fried Chicken
How to make Creole Gumbo
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...