A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tetris silverware: Classy.  (Read 18388 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , tetris , craftster_best_of_2007 , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

safetyscissors
« on: January 13, 2007 04:29:28 PM »

TETRIS SILVERWARE

Last year in my art class, we had to make inexcusably dorky silverware in the style of some artist. I chose Roy Lichtenstein, and pumped out these classy gems.

It's snowing in Seattle and I'm too sick to go out and rendezvous, so instead I decided it would be an excellent idea to recreate the pure, unadulterated beauty of my original set with something I loved even more: Tetris.

You will need:[/b]
White Sculpey clay
Acrylic paint
Silverware
Something to cut clay with (a razor works best)
An oven
Mod Podge sealer (optional, only if you're feeling fancy)

For now, I just made a Tetris fork.

1. Grab your eating utensil and a hunk of the clay. Cover the handle of the silverware completely, and then smooth it out and make it even.

2. Once that is complete (it takes some time to make it just right), take some clay, flatten it out a little bit and cut your shape with a razor. I used my Lichtenstein butter knife, putting it to good use. It worked fine.

3. Attach your shapes by gently pressing down pieces onto handle.

4. Shove the sucker into the oven on an aluminum foil covered cookie sheet. The directions on the package of Sculpey says to bake at 275-degrees (130C) for 15 minutes per 6mm. I put it in for 10 minutes and it came out just fine.

5. Wait for it to cool, obviously, and then whip out your acrylics and paint. My L-shape got detached, so I'll add it after everything else is painted.

6. Don't let your cat/dog/household pet near uncooked Sculpey, or his/her hair gets all up in it.

7. After I finished painting, I waited for it to dry and then I covered it in Mod Podge, just to give it that glossy shine I have come to know and love.

Wasn't that EASY? Of course, you can do anything your young heart desires, not just Tetris. They are more for beauty than practicality, and I wouldn't reccomend sending them through a dish washer (however, I haven't tried).

You can totally impress your easily-impressed friends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amara
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007 04:55:34 PM »

That is TEH AWESOME. I'm trying to think of what else I can do that to, instead of just silverware.

Great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MargiePoo
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007 04:57:43 PM »

that is flippin sweet.  I gotta try. I wonder how they would hold up in water if you washed them in the sink.  I just love Roy Lichtenstein.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krys
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007 07:47:43 PM »

Very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peas & love,
Krys
themoonisout
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007 07:52:20 PM »

this is TOTALLY awesome. amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eidnarb
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007 09:04:56 PM »

CLASSIC! great job and great shots!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thriftjunkie

if patience started a band, i'd be her biggest fan

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007 09:15:35 PM »

jesus H this is so good. (*this rocks!!*) i love the lichenstein ones, i may have to make a couple of my own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

corpsetlames

I will eat your oreos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007 07:43:07 AM »

Hello to one of the best ideas ever!!!
When I grow up and live with my boyfriend, I want to make my own special cutlery like that! Only, I don't think it will last long in the dishes. Does it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007 03:40:59 PM »

I don't think it will last long in the dishes. Does it?

Clay-covered handles for silverware wash fine, even in the dishwasher.

Glossy acrylic paint or clear acrylic finishes used on top of the clay may get a little less shiny from the detergents though, or if banged around with other pieces, in a dishwasher.

It wouldn't be a good idea to use Sculpey** clay (or possibily FimoSoft) though for this application because it's brittle after baking in any thin or projecting areas and can therefore more easily break or chip than Premo, FimoClassic, Kato Polyclay, or Cernit, etc.
**original Sculpey, SuperSculpey-flesh, Sculpey III

Btw, if you want to cover a *bare wood* kitchen tool, be sure and seal the wood well (or dry thoroughly and seal) before adding the clay because wood can swell from remaining moisture in it when heated, but the clay can't accommodate the expansion underneath so it can crack.

There are some lessons and examples of making polymer handles for silverware or tools, etc., on these pages if you want to check them out (for most, the color is in the clay used though... they're not painted over):

http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/covering.htm
(... click on Various Metal Objects (silverware, etc.) under Metal...)

http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/tools_Dremels_worksurfaces.htm
(... click on Handles...)

(and here's a page on clear finishes that can be used with polymer clay instead of ModPodge, if you're interested... none of the acrylics are completely and totally waterproof, particularly if soaked, but ModPodge is a little less water-resistant than some of the others that can be used as sealers or glossers on polymer clay:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm )

Have fun with them!

Diane B.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010 10:31:04 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
safetyscissors
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007 06:55:23 PM »

Thanks, Diane B. I'm new to everything polymer, so tips and advice are always appreciated.

This is another spoon I made today. It's easy to get addicted.

Thank you for the compliments, everyone.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
David Altmejd Profile
Vik Muniz - Artist Profile
Simon Fleming - Artist Profile
Fernando Daoliveira Profile
Artist Painter Lindsay Chambers
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...