A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 306,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Personalised memory sticks  (Read 1808 times)
Tags for this thread: usb , releases , sleeve  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queenarmadillo
« on: January 09, 2010 08:03:06 AM »

These are some memory sticks which I personalised using Fimo as Christmas gifts:

It was very difficult to figure out how to get the clay off the stick to bake so I didn't melt the memory stick in the oven. I was quite pleased with the way they turned out though. Comments/criticism very welcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StephR
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010 08:08:26 AM »

They are very cute!  What exactly is a memory stick though?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heatheres76
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010 08:35:06 AM »

I love this idea! I see what you mean about it being tough to get off of the memory stick before baking... what did you end up doing?

I wonder if you could make a template/mold of the memory stick out of aluminum foil, and sculpt the clay around that.

In any case, great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenarmadillo
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010 09:07:05 AM »

StephR, A memory stick is another name for a flash disk or USB drive.

I initially tried covering the drive with cling film (plastic wrap in the US I think) but then of course that got stuck to the drive itself. I thought about trying to mould them, but was worried that when I baked around the mould the clay would just never come off the mould.
On about the 3rd go I tried using talcum powder on the memory stick, then crafting around that. It took about 3 more goes for me to realise that I needed to regularly slip off the clay, add more powder and then put the clay back on top to stop the clay absorbing the powder and sticking whilst I was working on the details.
I then baked them off the sticks, but put a spare memory stick cap in the end of each to stop them folding in during baking. I also took them out every 5 mins and just slipped the sticks inside briefly to make sure that they stayed the correct shape. Not sure if this was necessary, but as it was a christmas eve baking I didn't want to risk having to do them again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010 10:16:54 AM »

Cute ideas for USB drives!  They must have been huge hits at xmas.

It was very difficult to figure out how to get the clay off the stick to bake so I didn't melt the memory stick in the oven.

Parts of the USB drive would probably be fine but AtomicJam had thought in another post recently that perhaps heating too high could cause the "components on the PCB (printed circuit board) to expand and fail."  As I remember, that turned out not to be true at least on the cheapie he tested, but we ended up having a long discussion about which parts of a USB could probably take the heat of curing polymer clay and which couldn't, and he did a test... you should read at least a few of the posts in that discussion starting here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327417.msg3781185#msg3781185 ... and the posts upward of that (which would be later in time) for some other ideas, info, photos.

AtomicJam actually removed the plastic casing from his USB drive though then covered it with clay, and also baked his at only 230 F for 20 min.

I initially tried covering the drive with cling film (plastic wrap in the US I think) but then of course that got stuck to the drive itself. I thought about trying to mould them, but was worried that when I baked around the mould the clay would just never come off the mould.
On about the 3rd go I tried using talcum powder on the memory stick, then crafting around that. It took about 3 more goes for me to realise that I needed to regularly slip off the clay, add more powder

If you want to try more ways to create a "sleeve" and/or just make sure a clay "covering" will release from your form after baking, there are some other ways to use forms and/or sometimes releases that should work much better than plastic wrap (a wrapping of plain paper for one, or ArmorAll, etc, etc.).

You can read more about all those techniques and materials on several pages of my site:
releases:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/molds.htm (...click on Releases category at bottom of list)
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/glues-Diluent.htm (...click on the category near bottom of list called Superglue Solvents, etc)

forms & releases:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/covering.htm (...click on Removable Sleeves near the bottom of the list... and perhaps on Plastics too under the Prescription Bottles, etc. sub-category)
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/vessels_rock-alum.foil.htm (...start at the top of the page under Finding and Making Your Own Forms...mostly that area is referring to using small rocks and oval plastic film cannisters as forms (or making forms to simulate them), but would be relevant to what you're wanting to do too
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/vessels.htm (...click at least on the category called Removable Forms)

I also took them out every 5 mins and just slipped the sticks inside briefly to make sure that they stayed the correct shape. Not sure if this was necessary,

That usually wouldn't be necessary because polymer clay doesn't shrink enough to notice and it's still quite pliable when warm.  And even when cold, if the clay isn't really thick it will generally still bend enough to stick something rigid into it.  If you want a sleeve like that to retain its shape, you can put something oven-safe inside while it bakes though, like the cap as you did, or just a stuffing of tissue, cotton, etc (or use a form with release).

How did you make the caps for the end parts btw... in the same way?

Diane B.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010 10:23:08 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
queenarmadillo
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010 01:07:11 PM »

Thanks for all that information. I thought trying to bake a USB drive would just be one of my crazy ideas, so it never occured to me to check on here for people who had looked at the science behind it.
Taking the plastic shell off and baking that was one idea that I had, but the way my drives were put together meant that the outer shell kind of curved in at the top and needed to split into two pieces to come off round the circuit board etc., so wouldnt have gone back on once I had baked clay around it.

I made the caps straight onto the plastic caps provided with the drives, and baked with the caps inside. I thought the chances of the plastic melting at Fimo heat were pretty small, and it wouldnt have been a disaster if I had to give the drives without caps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
And the sun is still here...
@Home This Weekend: Stenciled Table
Tute Tuesday: Mrs. Weasley Inspired Burrow Afghan

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...