A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
346 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Problems with carding very fine wool  (Read 569 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Vildhavre
« on: January 13, 2007 03:03:07 PM »

I've got some wool from a Swedish breed called 'Finullsfår' (direct translation is fine wool sheep). The wool is super crimpy, soft, pretty short staple and there's quite a bit of lanolin in it. Unfortunately I can't wash it because it's been run through a drum carder a few times and I think it would felt way to much.

My problem is that when I try to card it loads of small lumps, or knots forms. I can spin with it but it's hard to get the fine and even yarn I want with all the knots. I've tried combing it, and when I spin from the top I'm able to produce a better and more even yarn because no knots form during the combing. A lot of the wool is wasted though and it's really hard getting anything off the combs, because of the short staple I guess.

Should I continue my struggle with the combs or is there anything I can do to be able to card it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for a DIY handmade paper kit!
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007 04:09:03 PM »

Fine wool requires a lot of teeth per square inch/centimeter in order to card it right. Maybe your combs don't have enough teeth?

I wouldn't hesitate to wash a batt either. Try a small piece first and see how that goes. I've helped to dye batts by shoving them into a crock pot and that didn't felt it so you should be okay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
AgentAlmost
Semi Professional Raving Lunatic

I love the smell of wet Llama in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007 06:45:14 PM »

Call me thick headed but why can't you just try spinning it from the batt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jacquiw
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007 12:55:22 AM »

Superfine wool is notorius for pilling (small balls of fluff). A lot of experienced spinners i know won't spin it unless they card it with other wool.Personally i prefer to spin it greasy straight from the lock. If you put it to soak in very hot water with detergent and a small amount of washing soda in the batt or the fleece and do it a few times it will help degrease the wool. You can lose up to 50% of the weight in the washing in finer wool to. Unfortunately even when clean and carded the pilling will be a problem you will just have to persevere with unless you blend it with something else. Sorry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vildhavre
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007 01:59:32 AM »

TheBon: From my earlier experiences with this wool (dyeing and washing) It felts quite easily. But it is worth a try I guess. But if I get a new pair of carders (I've been thinking of doing that anyway..) with more teeth per square centimeter it should be easier? I'm meeting with some other spinning folks next weekend so maybe I'll see if someone there has a pair.

Agent almost: The batts aren't carded enough so there's still locks that are half carded or completely uncarded in them and that makes it hard for me to spin the yarn I want.

jacquiw: I think the combing will become easier if I lose a bit of the lanolin. Maybe I'll just try to soak it a few times, without agitating in any way. The only wool I've got to blend it with are Gotland and some brown unknown and washed wool. But I guess it's worth a try, I think the brown would turn out great when I'm dyeing it later..

Thanks for the answers and the ideas! I've got a few things to try now, and hopefully I'll be able to turn this wool into something in the end Smiley Oh, that reminds me, does anyone know what properties the yarn will have when knit up? I've been thinking of knitting a sweater from it, but if the wool already is pilling, how will the yarn be then? The Gotland is coarser and with a much longer staple length, would it be better if I blended it with that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for a DIY handmade paper kit!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Cute Hairstyles for Medium Length Hair
How to Treat Dry, Frizzy Hair
How to Do Glamorous Everyday Hairstyles
How to Do an Elegant Hairstyle
How to Do a French Twist Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...