A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,377
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about converting a pattern to circular needles  (Read 543 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loudgrrl4_ever
« on: January 13, 2007 01:19:24 PM »

Here's the background: I have never before used circular needles. I got a needlemaster last night and I really want to try a project that's knitted in the round.

I found a project and did some math. This pattern from Lion Brand looks nice and simple, because I've used all the other techniques in the pattern. I have yarn of the same size, so I'll be using that.
Using the given gauge, the finished result should come out to about 20.5" (at 4.5 stitches an inch, and 92 CO).
The pattern is already written to be knitted in the round, but using dpns; so my question is this: How long should I make the circular needle so that it will not be awkwardly long, nor too short so that I have to cram stitches together while I knit? My options are 20", 24", and 29".
I just have never done anything similar, so I don't know if it's best to have the cord the exact length of the finished project, or if having it longer/shorter would work out better.
Thanks for any help you can provide Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snappity-snap
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007 01:21:24 PM »

hey! i was wondering the same thing. im so mad when i see a pattern that i would LOVE To make but only hasintructions to dpn's. i just got the boye needlemaster from my aunt as a free gift! let me know if you find anything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.    Psalm 139:13
Nineightohone

Don't make me come over there!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007 01:25:10 PM »

Here's the background: I have never before used circular needles. I got a needlemaster last night and I really want to try a project that's knitted in the round.

I found a project and did some math. This pattern from Lion Brand looks nice and simple, because I've used all the other techniques in the pattern. I have yarn of the same size, so I'll be using that.
Using the given gauge, the finished result should come out to about 20.5" (at 4.5 stitches an inch, and 92 CO).
The pattern is already written to be knitted in the round, but using dpns; so my question is this: How long should I make the circular needle so that it will not be awkwardly long, nor too short so that I have to cram stitches together while I knit? My options are 20", 24", and 29".
I just have never done anything similar, so I don't know if it's best to have the cord the exact length of the finished project, or if having it longer/shorter would work out better.
Thanks for any help you can provide Smiley
You always want your cord to be shorter than the actual circumference of your project-same size at the very most. Making it too big means you can't get the stitches to go all the way around and, in effect, stretch your project out. Smiley

Hope that helps, I'd choose the 20 since you said it was to be 20 1/2.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.~

Please come see my Etsy shop! www.notjustpurses.e tsy.com Thanks Smiley
loudgrrl4_ever
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007 01:47:33 PM »

Would it be better if I casted on 6 additional stitches, then? It should give me about an extra inch, and the pattern should work just as well with any even number of stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arosep

Nerdy Scientist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007 03:47:49 PM »

The pattern should work just the same from dpn to circular needles because you are still knitting in the round, I've never had a problem.  It's basically the same thing, its just that you have more freedom with dpns to make the circumference of what you knit however large you want (also you can always add/subtract dpns as you increase/decrease).  You just want to make sure that the circumference of what you're knitting is larger than the length of the needles (I've tried on too long circular needles before and the results are not ideal).  I'm not sure what you're making, but if you have to decrease at some point (like for a hat) I would switch to dpns once the circumference becomes too small to fit comfortably around the circular needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007 03:52:11 PM »

You could also switch to magic loop if the needles are too long. knittinghelp.com has a good demo as do other site.

A far as the stitches getting too bunched up couldn't you switch to a longer cable or add in another legnth of cable while knitting since you are using interchangeble needles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loudgrrl4_ever
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007 09:41:11 PM »

Thanks for all the helpful advice, everyone.

I have casted on for the project and knitted about 2.5 inches. I think that may be as far as I go with it, though. The pattern is so simple that I want to get some nice yarn to make the bag with, rather than the Caron Holiday yarn I'm using. Especially because I timed myself and figured out that this will be at least a 10 hour project for me; I'd like to have something nice to show for 10 hours of work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Motion Tweens in Flash CS4
How to Open XFL Files from InDesign in Flash CS4
Publishing to Adobe AIR or Flash Player in Flash CS4
How to Use the Deco Tool in Flash CS4
How to Use the Motion Editor in Flash CS4
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...