A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: weee! newbie here...just saying hi!  (Read 591 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cherry blossom

nice head...i think i'll take it.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2007 12:18:37 PM »

so i usually post over in the knitting boards (and not that often...i'm a horrible lurker), but lurk over here more often than not....but my lurking days are through!  i just recieved a spindle and some fiber in the mail and i can't wait to get started!  you ladies seem like an extremely helpful and friendly bunch and i can't wait to join the ranks Smiley

check it!

*dances around*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

inle_rah
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007 12:34:31 PM »

Oooh....pretty.  Can't wait to see what you make of it.  I'm a pretty new spinner, myself, and have found the other members of this board to be really friendly and supportive.  Welcome, and Happy Spinning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
cassiemarie
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007 01:48:28 PM »

Did you get that off of etsy?  I think I saw the same set on there like a week ago, I'm a new spinner too so I can understand your excitement!  I just made a spindle and bought roving from RH Lindsay, I can't wait to see what you do with that beautiful roving!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007 03:08:49 PM »

Hmmmm, very nice! I'm quite sure I remeber this from etsy as well Tongue Really love the colourscheme of your set as well! I've only been spinning since Christmas but am loving it. In a few weeks I'll probably try my hand at the spindle as well, at the moment I only spin with the wheel.... Smiley
Hope you'll enjoy your new hobby, it's utterly addicting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cherry blossom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007 03:10:16 PM »

hehe yea i purchased the kit from maine woods yarn

i spun a little bit of yarn earlier....its SO ugly!  but i love it because its mine Smiley 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lystessa

Naughty Fairy...with Kitty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007 10:00:51 AM »

Hey Cherry, welcome to the addiction! You'll be amazed how fast your yarn starts to really please you... Especially judging from your first try, I think you will be happily contributing to Fiber Friday and instilling the burning need to spin into even more people. Smiley

I just wanted to mention that if you're trying to set the twist on the doorknob, you need to weight the yarn.  Try sticking a heavy spray bottle into the bottom of the loops.  (I used to use cans, but after seeing rust spots on my yarn I was happy to use someone's suggestion for spray bottle weights). When I first started trying to spin I totally didn't get "setting the twist" until after I took a class and the instructor explained it in more detail, so your picture looked really familiar! I couldn't figure out why my first yarn (admittedly much twistier and crazier than yours) didn't seem to improve afterward.  It will dry a lot faster when it's weighted too, but it will also drip a lot. If you want longer loops you can wrap the yarn around a chair, or even around 2 chairs.

I hope I didn't offend you, your yarn looks good anyway and for a first yarn learning on your own... well, it looks really great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Requisite Blog:   http://lystessa.blogspot.com
cherry blossom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007 05:44:31 PM »

Hey Cherry, welcome to the addiction! You'll be amazed how fast your yarn starts to really please you... Especially judging from your first try, I think you will be happily contributing to Fiber Friday and instilling the burning need to spin into even more people. Smiley

I just wanted to mention that if you're trying to set the twist on the doorknob, you need to weight the yarn.  Try sticking a heavy spray bottle into the bottom of the loops.  (I used to use cans, but after seeing rust spots on my yarn I was happy to use someone's suggestion for spray bottle weights). When I first started trying to spin I totally didn't get "setting the twist" until after I took a class and the instructor explained it in more detail, so your picture looked really familiar! I couldn't figure out why my first yarn (admittedly much twistier and crazier than yours) didn't seem to improve afterward.  It will dry a lot faster when it's weighted too, but it will also drip a lot. If you want longer loops you can wrap the yarn around a chair, or even around 2 chairs.

I hope I didn't offend you, your yarn looks good anyway and for a first yarn learning on your own... well, it looks really great!

oooh thank you so much for the tip!  i'm not offended at all.....that bit of yarn there isn't even enough to wrap around my neck twice LOL.  i'll make sure and use something weighted with my first real skein as it dries.  i can't wait to improve LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lystessa

Naughty Fairy...with Kitty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007 06:10:44 PM »

I didn't realize it before today, but apparently really balanced yarn doesn't need weighting.  But expecting balance from your first yarns is a little bit masochistic.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Requisite Blog:   http://lystessa.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vote For New Monopoly Pieces
Shaheen Wirk on What Performing Artists Teach About Preparation
Matt Ruby on Taking Comedy Skills Beyond Just Being Funny
Blending Artistic and Financial Goals in a Creative Career
Shepard Fairey Talks Obey Collab and Getting Arrested 16 Times
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...