A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Red scarf for 'red scarf' project  (Read 1590 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artteacher
« on: January 13, 2007 05:28:54 AM »

I just found out about this organization last week and decided to knit a scarf to donate to this wonderful agency.  I decided to knit it lengthwise and even though- I thought I had cast on enough stitches-it seemed a 'bit short' when I took it off the needles.  So, I decided to add some pom poms to give it visual length if nothing else.  The pattern is just knit and purl to form ridges on both sides.

The agency donates handknit or crocheted red scarves to children who aged out of the foster system without being adopted and are starting their college education.   They send a care package to them in Feb.

If you're interested - here's the website (donations must be received by January 31)  http://www.orphan.org/red_scarf_project.xhtml

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a brand new blog:  *I'm one with the masses now!

*Life and adventues of an American living overseas who finds time to knit every now and then.
http://iwouldratherbeknitting.blogspot.com/
myklia
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007 05:40:18 AM »

I love your scarf, it is very cute.  I hope to participate in the project next year.  I unfortunately just don't have the time this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artteacher
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007 05:54:09 AM »

Thank you myklia!

I wish I had found out about this project sooner too.  However, I am going to try to knit for them 'off and on' throughout the year and that way I will be able to send them more than one scarf next year.   I even found this red yarn on sale- I was happy about that!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

*Life and adventues of an American living overseas who finds time to knit every now and then.
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007 06:11:56 AM »

Thanks for letting us know about this project! I don't know if I can pull it off for the end of this month, but it's on my list to try! If I don't get it finished in time, they'll have it ready for next year (and maybe more than one!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
farrah
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007 07:02:25 AM »

Your scarf looks really great, and I think it's perfect for a college-age person.

And thank you so much for getting the word out about this really wonderful foundation. My husband worked for a non-profit in Philadelphia that helps adolescents in foster care transition into adulthood (and all of the new responsibilities that go along with it). It really opened my eyes to the challenges these kids face to get to college. I am going out today to buy yarn for this! Thanks so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PJThePixie
A walking contradiction

MillaLicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007 07:07:54 AM »

That is such a nice idea and I am sure that whoever receives it will love your scarf.

I really like the addition of the pom poms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'Sometimes the beauty is easy. Sometimes you don't have to try at all. Sometimes you can hear the wind blow in a handshake. Sometimes there's poetry written right on the bathroom wall.'
- Ani Difranco
artteacher
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007 07:19:15 AM »

Thanks so much to everyone who has responded.. maybe we'll be able to get some more scarves sent to them?  If not this year.. keep knitting 'off and on' throughout the year.. to send to them next January. 

My heart really goes out to these kids and any encouragement that we can give them- will help them.  I think that knowing that even a stranger cares about them will help them more than we'll ever know. 

Thank you so much in advance- if you are able to knit a scarf.  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Huhwhat?
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007 07:40:53 AM »

Great scarf! Thanks for the info on the red scarf project, too. That sounds like a really good cause.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007 07:56:47 AM »

I can't even imagine trying to make it through life without adults who can guide you, provide support, etc...we tend to take so many things for granted...

Red happens to be my favorite color and I read on the site that other neutral colors are also accepted!! So I will be sending scarves as well as soon as I do a bit more research on the foundation...

I am also interested in the agency in Philadelphia since I live in PA...

artteacher--have you already checked out this foundation?--sorry to be so cautious, but there are so many bad people out there... Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

farrah
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007 08:36:06 AM »

The agency in Philly is called "The Achieving Independence Center". It's at 701 Market Street.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Kim Kardashian Hair Part 2/2
How to Get Kim Kardashian Hair Part 1/2
How to Get Mad Men Hair
How to Get a Snooki Hair
How to Get Lauren Conrad Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...