A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,080
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Velvet Shirt & Matching Blindfold! *Big Pictures!*  (Read 2547 times)
Tags for this thread: shirt , velvet , top , sleeping_mask  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lystessa

Naughty Fairy...with Kitty!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2004 04:41:33 PM »

Hi everyone,

I finally finished my (second-ever) shirt.  My first-ever shirt was part of my Halloween costume last year.

This shirt was from a pattern...but it gave me lots of aggravation, starting with the incredible size discrepancy.  What is it with Simplicity?  Half the work of this was biting my nails and wondering if maybe I shouldn't have chosen to go at a smaller size???  If it was too big I might could fix it.......but I could save myself so much trouble if I got it right the first time (on a smaller size than they recommend). 

Okay, I'm lazy so I bit the bullet and I actually used a different size on every single piece of the pattern! Ha!   

It terrified me everytime I tried it on at various stages of completion because it always looked like it was just a bit too small, but in the end it fit sufficiently.  I'm not sure how the pattern expected it to fit....

The only problem was, it was way too wide across the front and way WAY too low!  And I was making this for a pregnant top hopefully to still be able to wear this December.  (I'm in Hawaii until then, sigh).  The bottom panel wasn't as big as I had hoped.  I remedied the "too much exposed x-large pregnant woman bosoms" part by adding in some wide and *stretchy* lace.  It solved absolutely every problem I had with the top part!!   Cheesy    And maybe the belly will still fit, or stretch, or something, in December.  At the end of my second trimester.  When I'm *almost* as big as a house...*sigh* 

Okay, okay, time for pictures!

I can wear the sleeves at least two ways.  This is with them down.  I completely altered the sleeves because I didn't want them open (I am a compulsive sleeve pusher-upper, and you can't do that with open sleeves!)

Sleeves up.  This is the way I envisioned wearing it.  I didn't even have to put elastic in the sleeves the way I thought I would, because the velvet was stretchy in one direction.  The right amount of stretchy, b/c it fits at the wrist and at the elbow whereas the elastic probably would have cut off my circulation.

Back view, so you can see the tie.

When I tried it on for my husband (after adding the lace!), he said it looked "almost professional."  Very high praise; I could tell he was impressed.  He even looked a little surprised.  :^)

And with the leftover fabric and an impending 12-hour plane ride ... my true home is on the east coast ...  I decided to make a blindfold to wear on the plane.  I really hope I'm able to sleep.  I'm not actually planning to wear the blindfold with the shirt at any point, but I really liked the fabric and the lace was soft and *stretchy*!  Oh yeah, and they were leftover and I didn't have to buy anything.  Ah yeah.

I tried to show how my sewing machine actually has a decorative stitch, sort of, that resembles leaves.  My camera doesn't like doing close-ups.

Fear my skills, for I can take pictures of my blindfold while blindfolded!  Hehe.

My parting words... Stretchy lace to the rescue!

Lystessa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Requisite Blog:   http://lystessa.blogspot.com
Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004 05:27:08 PM »

Your top came out really, really nicely.  I know what you mean about Simplicity patterns.  I  made some Simplicity dresses that I saved to wear as maternity dresses.  Congrats on the lil' bun in the oven, too!

With the blindfold on you look like "Justice."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
arrhythmia
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004 07:14:30 PM »

Great job! It looks like a really comfy and 'nurturing' shirt. That's what I call those fabrics that I love to put on in the evening to 'cuddle me' in the wintertime. Plus, it's a great color and the shape is really nice.

You did great for a second shirt and for having so many fitting problems. Cheer up, the plane ride back is almost always faster than going! After that, however, you never want to see an airplane bathroom for 20 years!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DrewsUSAgirl
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004 07:56:06 PM »

Beautiful top! & Congrats on the lil one on the way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lystessa

Naughty Fairy...with Kitty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004 08:28:33 PM »

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments!   

With the blindfold on you look like "Justice."

Hehe, I think you're right.  Smiley

Arrhythmia:  It IS really comfy.  I didn't want to take it off after I had my picture session...but it's hot here!

If you all could have seen it in the intermediate stages you would be even more impressed.  I almost gave up on it but I had bragged to my mother so much about making it that I just had to try lace before throwing in the towel. 

Thank you all for the congrats!  We're excited about the "bun."  Hehe, I love that phrase.  Smiley
Hey speaking about babies... if anyone wants to post baby projects they've completed on this post I would be ecstatic to see them.  Especially the handy-dandy stuff like cloth diapers.  I'm trying to commit to a pattern but I'm scared...

Lys
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Requisite Blog:   http://lystessa.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply a Blend Mode in Photoshop CS3
How to Apply a Filter in Photoshop CS3
How to Apply a Gradient in Photoshop CS3
How to Apply a Twist Effect in Paint.NET
How to Apply Auto Levels to an Image in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...