A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
738 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your Opinion Matters!  (Read 2313 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008 09:47:40 AM »

You could hand sew a backing fabric to your afghan around the edges using yarn and a needle with a large enough eye.  Flannel or fleece would probably work best to allow a large needle with yarn to pass through easily; using these materials would also eliminate the problem of frayed edges (even if you turned under a hem on your fabric, the nature of the granny square means the edge would still be somewhat exposed and subject to wear).  There are a number of sewing stitches, both simple and decorative, you could use to attach the two sides.

However you manage it, once the two pieces are attached I'd recommend that you also sew the inside area as well, which will make it much easier to move, fold, and wash.  I don't mean a whole quilting thing, just the...oh, I don't know what it's called so hopefully this description will be clear enough: you know the kind of coverlets where they've sewn the two sides together with yarn or heavy thread at several individual places in the middle and then made a a knot or a bow?  With a patchwork quilt I've usually seen it done where the corners of squares meet.  Hope that makes sense....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kestrel5287
I like exclamation points

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008 07:23:17 AM »

There's also a thing called an edgery-do ( http://www.edgerydoo.com/ ) That makes holes in fleece so you can crochet evenly around it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Touches - http://Krystal.canduru.com
lovething

braaaaaaiiiiiinnnnssss

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008 07:30:25 AM »

^Ooh I like that thing. Let's do that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamarose22
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008 10:16:11 AM »

I crochet towel toppers and I use a small steel needle to poke holes in the towel.  I think flannel is lighter in weight than towels.  You can buy lightweight flannel or even get a flat flannel sheet on sale.  After cutting the flannel to fit the afghan, I would fold over the edge of the flannel then do a double crochet border going through each stitch on the afghan and through the flannel.  Keep a small steel hook or an awl on hand to poke holes in the flannel as you go along.  I think this might be your best solution and give it a finished edge as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
http://www.pinterest.com/mamarose22/
Esjay82
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008 05:48:11 PM »

hey! nice blanket! i see what u mean bout wanting a backing.. i know its a bit different but.. i think what some people are talking bout here is kind of like in this post....

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=224886.0

poking holes in fleece and then crochet it to the back of ur blanket instead of just round the edges of the fleece squares in that link, that might work?! just a thought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hheever
Hooked on Crochet worked for me.

Help, I started crocheting, and I can't stop!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008 08:56:27 AM »

Thank you all for your lovely feedback and comments.  I think I am going to get a piece of material and poke holes in it and crochet it to what I have.  I hope it works.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Your logic does not resemble our Earth logic-Buffy Summers

Mine is much more advanced-Xander Harris

I-I like my women like I like my coffee, er, covered in bees! [to the bees] All right, back off, back off! Argh!" -Eddie Izzard

Forget regret, or life is yours to miss-Rent
Tiel
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008 02:56:10 PM »

This reminds me of a project I did for my grandma.  Thinking about this makes me  Cry.  My grandma gave me all her yarn, crochet needles and knitting needles right before she passed.  She taught me to crochet.  Each small ball or skein represented 70 years of her life.  She had crochet things for everyone and every occasion.  She had 50 gradchildren including greats etc.  I was the only one who took the time to learn.  Not meaning took the time...I wanted to spend time with her every minute I could.  Anyways,  I crochet every bit of that yarn into granny squares (individual ones) border with black.  On Christmas day 1991 2 hours before going to see her I finished my year long project.  I gave it to her and she cried  it was the first time in her life that someone took the time to make her anything.  She died 4 months later and I told my Uncle I wanted my blanket back.  It was given to me and re-gifted and I wanted my memories back.

Anyways,  My mother placed a backing on it as well.  She used a sheet and sewed it to the Afghan itself.  Thanks mom....  I love this Afghan and the memories it holds.  When I snuggle up in it I feel protected from everything and everyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Production Studio - Working with the Scrub Tool
Adobe Production Studio - Adjusting Panels and Saving a Custom Workspace
Adobe Production Studio - Looking at the Mixer Panel in the Multitrack View
Adobe Production Studio - Editing in the Spectral Frequency Display View
Adobe Production Studio - Introducing the Adobe Audition 2.0 Interface
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...