A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: boiled wool bolero-ish thing? help!  (Read 662 times)
Tags for this thread: coat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

woodtart
« on: January 12, 2007 06:32:55 PM »

I've had this boiled wool coat that my sister got me at the dump- yes, the dump, we love the exchange center there- but I wasn't overly thrilled with the cut. I had a crap day today and just had to " cut S*** up" so I decided that this coat needed to be a bolero... I think that's what it's called.... Anyway, I also have a 110 lb dog who likes to chase cats and a short attention span... I ended up cutting the bottom uneven and can't for the life of me think what to finish the edges with. I need to make both sides look even too. Here's a really bad webcam picture of it, any ideas?

and an even worse pic of it on :

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007 06:43:02 PM »

Can you find some matching or complimentary braided or woven trim and stitch it on? That might hide it. If you put on black trim, you could put on some cool black buttons.

Or, you could try some of that pre-beaded trim...that would definitely hide any uneven edges!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
woodtart
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007 06:51:48 PM »

Can you find some matching or complimentary braided or woven trim and stitch it on? That might hide it. If you put on black trim, you could put on some cool black buttons.

Or, you could try some of that pre-beaded trim...that would definitely hide any uneven edges!

That's a great idea, I had thought of that but it has some great red crocheted trim around the collar and down the front ( oh what I wouldn't do for a camera...) and adorable silver coin buttons.  As I'm agonizing over this, I'm thinking that maybe I should cut the sleeved to 3 /4 length and trim the sleeves the same. Do you think a fabric band would work?

*edited* I just found this :
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://64.82.66.2/494g.JPG&imgrefurl=http://cgi.ebay.com/Geiger-Boiled-Wool-Jacket-Red-Austria-Size-44_W0QQitemZ260020336052QQcmdZViewItem&h=596&w=795&sz=69&hl=en&start=33&tbnid=x4asOlTJpzObZM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgeiger%2Bof%2Baustria%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

whoa, long link.... it's not the same jacket but has similar trim and buttons
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007 07:07:26 PM by crazysexyecclectic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007 07:08:03 PM »

A fabric band, using original fabric that you cut off, would work well, too! That might even be the best idea! That way you know it would match and you could keep the cool buttons, and wouldn't have to worry about clashing with the existing trim.

I wouldn't cut the sleeves, though- it'd be just one more thing to get straight, and I think bolero styles look better with long sleeves. But, I'm not really up on fashion, so on the sleeve issue, you might want to get somebody else's opinion...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
woodtart
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007 07:04:23 AM »

I wouldn't cut the sleeves, though- it'd be just one more thing to get straight, and I think bolero styles look better with long sleeves. But, I'm not really up on fashion, so on the sleeve issue, you might want to get somebody else's opinion...  Wink

Good point about the sleeves, I'd hate to make it completely unuseable. I tried the same fabric trim and the wool is just too thick to make a neat line. I'm thinking that I might have to look around online to see if I can find some elastic trim and if that fails, I'll just cut the other side to the same length Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Finger Wave Long Hair
How to Tease Long Hair
How to Do a Long Half Up Half Down Style
How to Curl Long Hair With a Flat Iron
How to Do a Long Hair Updo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...