A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 316,236
Currently Running With Scissors:
336 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sewing kit for theater?  (Read 1446 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2004 10:52:36 AM »

my daughter is in HS theater and is going to be starting her second production of the year as head of costumes.  The teacher has said she needs to have her own sewing kit.  Are there any theater people out there with suggestions of what is needed? (beyond the basics found in any ordinary sewing kit)  The final kit will need to be something fairly small (able to fit into a school locker).  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004 11:53:14 AM »

- Needles
-Thread <---- Black and White,  they are usually the cheape$t colors, you can have other colors but since its for theater no one will be close enough to see the stitches anyway
- Buttons <---- a few different ones, enough to fill a small snack sized ziploc bag or the smallest tupperware container with a lid that you can find
- Hooks and Eyes
- Velcro <---- Black and White, buy a couple of the little rolls but not too much
- Pair of needle nose pliers <---- to fix hooks, pins, costume jeweley, also handy when you need to have a little force with opening/closing a problem zipper
- Small bottle of Fabreze <---- for multiple showing/play costumes that won't be taken to the laundry between schedules (ie 2 night showing)
- Small pair of Scissors <---- embroidery scissors are good, can snip errant strings or use as a seam ripper
- Large pair of Scissors
- Elastic <---- in Black and White
- A couple of paper clips <---- in case a zipper pull breaks, or in case you are in need of something during an especially hurried McGuyver moment
- Pins & Pin Cushion

You should get a small sized tackle box -or- in office supplies a plastic box that will fit in her locker with handle(s)

When I did theater I also had the following (suggestions):
-a roll of black string/ribbon (for bodices, broken shoelaces, hair, instant chokers, etc)
-small roll of duct tape (yes I have even made extreme emergency hems w/ duct tape)
-roll of Stitch Witchery aka fusible webbing in a roll
-small iron (and when that got pinched, an old but clean and not rusty curling iron) to use w/ the above
-sweat guards in case of a sweaty actor
-shoulder pads (to be used as shoulder pads or in a pinch to stuff a bra for fit)
-bounce dryer sheets (to be pinned inside of costume to keep it from getting that musty school costume smell)(also, if costume already has that smell can be used as a hanky onstage so actor can sniff sheet instead of smelling costume)
-small trial sized deoderant in asexual smell (you never know when you might forget to apply, or your actors forget)

Congrats for your daughter- Good Luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004 12:11:25 PM »

I was about to say duct tape, too!   Cheesy  but black hockey tape is great, too - it blends in a lot better than duct tape, and doesn't leave as much icky residue (but slightly less heavy duty).

a couple things to add...
- lots of safety pins
- measuring tape - a big rolled up plasticy type is best
- those magic wipe stain remover things - make up can be a dangerous thing!
- mini glue gun - great for stuff on small props (which, at least at our school, fell under costumes if it was worn) and for last minute fixes of all types
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004 02:31:14 PM »

Thank you!!!!  This is great!!  I would never have thought of some of these things.  Especially the pliers, the dryer sheets and the stain remover wipes.    Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auntiem
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004 05:51:01 PM »

Is she going to be the dresser backstage as well? - if so a Sharpie would come in handy for o-so many quick fixes - (like a run in black tights).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004 06:14:04 PM »

Clear nail polish is good too, for fixing runs in stockings or unraveling fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004 08:14:03 AM »

I used to find that the mesh used for tent screens was really handy --- strong, but not too stiff, so it was easy to sew to the inside of a torn piece of clothing. (One show I did involved a lot of swordfighting, which is really hard on costumes! Every time something got slashed, I backed it with the mesh, and it worked out really well.)

Also, hockey tape is really handy. Get it in black, white, and beige, and you can pretty much fix anything. (I once had to glue a table back together between scenes, and since the glue didn't have time to dry, I held it all together with black hockey tape.)

Speaking of tape, double-sided tape can be useful, too, if a hem falls down or something. Or you can use a stapler...

I used to keep an entire laundry basket full of this kind of stuff backstage --- it became something of a joke, because any time anyone needed ANYTHING, it seemed like I had it. Need kleenex? No problem. Pliers? No problem. Batteries? No problem. A granola bar? No problem. The theatre group I worked with used to joke that Iicould survive for a year out of that basket...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004 09:22:47 AM »

I used to keep an entire laundry basket full of this kind of stuff backstage --- it became something of a joke, because any time anyone needed ANYTHING, it seemed like I had it. Need kleenex? No problem. Pliers? No problem. Batteries? No problem. A granola bar? No problem. The theatre group I worked with used to joke that Iicould survive for a year out of that basket...

lol, same here.  and they said I could live for a year out of my backpack, too.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004 02:43:16 PM »

Yeah...after denying it for many years, she is finally becoming like Mom.  When I started with Girl Scouts they gave me the nick-name of "Mary Poppins" because I always had what we needed.  (I wasn't even a troop leader, just a mom.)  Need cardboard to put inside t-shirts before painting...Wait, I have some in my car; didn't bring enough scissors...I have some in my car; glue gun, paints, markers, newspapers, magazines, scissors, rope, yarn, etc., etc., etc.  They loved me when we went camping as well.  I always had what we needed.

All the theater stuff is a new experience for me though.  When I was in school, I would never have dreamed of doing all of this.  I really appreciate all of your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects
OOOOOHKLAHOMA! Where the wind...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...