A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 311,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: recyled yarn KAL?  (Read 42228 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kayla_Wte

Time to put yer big-girl panties on!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2007 11:38:41 AM »

All of them!!  Grin

Hmmmm... Since I have some awesomely Springtime weather outside.... I say the sweet single ply purples at the top. What are they fiber wise?

No idea LOL!  They're the remains of a VERY big scarf.  They are nice and soft though.  I think I'm going to do the lavendar thing though.  I just got a nice lace book and I'm ITCHING to try out a pattern!

K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog - Plied:
http://kaylaunicorn.blogspot.com

My Etsy:
http://plied.etsy.com

I sell and trade my handspun on Ravelry.  Username KaylaWte.  Add me!!!
Hawkins
« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2007 09:09:20 AM »

This is my first recycling project, I've done LOTS since.  I was given this sweaters as a Christmas gift from my old roommate.  It was a bit felted, so difficult to unravel.  It's also been made into a pair of fuzzy feet slippers, but I'm posting a hat that I made from the white parts of the sweater.  It was my first foray into Kool-aide dying, I think it turned out pretty good.  My sister claimed this hat, and my boyfriend claimed the slippers.  There is still enough green left for something else.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
little3chordme
« Reply #182 on: April 08, 2007 10:50:41 AM »

I think I must either be doing something wrong, or I just got very unlucky with the sweaters I picked?

I found 4 wool sweaters at the thrift store to frog.  On all four, the yarn just seems so fragile.  If I pull on it just a tiny bit, not even hard, it breaks.  I'm afraid to spend the time winding these all up if once I start knitting with the yarn, it's going to snap all the time!  Has anyone else had this problem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silver Ilix
Up Late

Make your own way........

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #183 on: April 08, 2007 10:59:45 AM »

Not personally, but I have heard that if the fibers are in certian situations they can degrade..... like smoking can affect it. Or it could have been drycleaned and it wasn't supposed to be.... the chemicals can make it brittle.
Are they all all breaking? or did you just try one? That is a bummer!
Maybe you should just felt them as is and start a sweater quilt, or make a bag.
Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: www.uplatedesigns.blogspot.com

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I had set him free. *Michanlengelo
motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: April 08, 2007 11:31:08 AM »

I had that problem with some shetland wool I recycled once. Every time I would try to knot it it would break. I still have some & only use it with another stronger thicker yarn or doubled up & it works fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

april_cocaine
« Reply #185 on: April 08, 2007 11:35:23 AM »

I bought a couple of sweaters yesterday for cheap - and spent today unravelling them.
I noticed that one of them makes my hands feel really waxy and weird. Should I wash it before I knit it back up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Silver Ilix
Up Late

Make your own way........

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2007 11:42:08 AM »

The only way that would not be odd is if it was handspun wool..... I have a friend who spins and if it is wool, it always has that waxy feeling knitting up... it's the lanolin from the sheep. If it isn't wool...........yikes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: www.uplatedesigns.blogspot.com

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I had set him free. *Michanlengelo
little3chordme
« Reply #187 on: April 08, 2007 12:32:35 PM »

I took a closer look, and one of them might be ok...the other 3 seem to be double stranded.  I think that's why they were breaking, because I was trying to separate the two strands and they were really thin.  I think I need to just keep the two together and use the yarn double stranded, like you said, motleycruiser!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sherry71
« Reply #188 on: April 11, 2007 05:33:55 PM »

I had a few sweaters that were fragile too so I just felted them real good & I cut flower shapes, etc out of them to use as appliques on bags & other things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
april_cocaine
« Reply #189 on: April 12, 2007 04:34:10 AM »

Here's what I bought over last weekend. Two huge jumpers and a random bag of blue, all from a local thrift shop.

The grey is very fine, and I'll probably make a nice lacy tank top with it. The caramel one is quite chunky, but I don't know what I'm going to do with it next.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chili Paprika Shrimp and Lime Rice Recipe
How to Make Crab Cakes
How to Make Potato Pancakes
Red Bean Succotash Recipe
How to Make Dinner with Only 5 Ingredients
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...