A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,159
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: re: best way to stencil ever...  (Read 1456 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mandustries
« on: January 12, 2007 06:30:26 AM »

I've been stenciling for a while, and freezer paper is far superior to any other sort of paper, specifically because you can print on it from your computer, iron it onto your shirt, and peel it off after you're done painting. keeps the bleeding to minimum. the only downfall is that you can only use the stencil once.

i can post more about this technique if anyone's interested. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CaroDIYnamite

You will? Oh, okay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007 09:57:10 AM »

I'm interested, whats freezer paper and how is it the best ever?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting_nyxxie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007 12:46:07 PM »

Freezer paper is simply that a paper that you use to put things like meat in and freeze them.

It makes wonderful paper for stencils because you can cut your stencil out of it and iron it directly to your fabric and it will stick very nicely. You can also remove it without any trouble!!

Makes stenciling much more enjoyable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you in Middle TN Join us TN Craftsters!
Wist
vicille

Hey dood. I'm Cary.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007 04:13:28 PM »

Freezer paper is simply that a paper that you use to put things like meat in and freeze them.

It makes wonderful paper for stencils because you can cut your stencil out of it and iron it directly to your fabric and it will stick very nicely. You can also remove it without any trouble!!

Makes stenciling much more enjoyable!
Does it stick well enough that there's no need to tape it down? Or would it be smart to tape it as well?

Would I be able to walk into Albertson's and buy some freezer paper, or would it be a bit harder than that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I do good I feel good, and when I do bad I feel bad, and thats my religion." -Abraham Lincoln

Last.fm. Let's be music buddies!
mandustries
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007 08:37:40 AM »

sorry it took me so long to respond.

freezer paper is, like said above, the paper butchers use to wrap meat in.

it's wax on one side and matte on the other, so you can print images on it from your computer and cut them out. then you can iron it down to your fabric so there's no need for spray adhesive, tape, etc.

there's much less bleeding with this stuff. i've used it for years now and have only had problems with too runny paint and not paying attention when i iron it down in the first place.

one of your local grocery stores should have it. i know that shaws does in the northeast and heb in texas. i've never looked for it elsewhere. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jprice
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007 03:05:38 AM »

And the wax doesn't come off on the fabric?  I'm curious to try this but am afraid that the wax would bleed through too much and be hard to get off the fabric.  But it sounds like this isn't a problem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandustries
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007 06:58:22 AM »

And the wax doesn't come off on the fabric?  I'm curious to try this but am afraid that the wax would bleed through too much and be hard to get off the fabric.  But it sounds like this isn't a problem?

nope. it's not like candle wax. it's just waxy enough that it sticks to the fabric and, most of the time, doesn't let the paint underneath.

suggestion: it's best to put a piece of cardboard or plastic between the layers of whatever you're painting so that the paint doesn't bleed through. but, iron the stencil on first, before putting something inside. i've ironed over cardboard before and it leaves heinous crosshatch marks. ew.

did you know that there's a band in austin named jprice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Phoenix and Immortal Symbols in Chinese Antique Furniture
How to Make a Paper Mache Dragon Trophy
How to make a Double Wall Vessel - Part 2
An Experimental Fired Piece
How to make a Small Marbled Vessel with Two Clays
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pallet Shelf
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...