A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,721
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rockin' Sock Club threatened by evil bank  (Read 456 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

medstudentknitter
« on: January 11, 2007 07:58:32 PM »

Those of you who read “Yarn Harlot” will already know about this.

Blue Moon Fiber Arts, the company that makes the amazing “socks that rock” sock yarn has recently been the victim of stupidity from a bank. The bank has caused huge headaches for this small business by returning all the money to all the people who signed up for the “rockin’ sock club” where lucky club members receive a different sock kit every month. They did this because they felt it must be a SCAM since obviously it was impossible that this many people would want to knit socks each month.

This might seem like just a clerical error worthy of a shrug, but there are several reasons why I am inclined to take this one personally and rant and rave. First off, Knitters are a potent tribe of individuals worthy of respect. I will not quietly tolerate people disrespecting the creativity, creative prowess, or even purchasing power of the amazing worldwide community of knitters. Making unique items by hand is not “quaint” or “ cute” or “old-fashioned.” We are here right now preserving traditions, pushing envelopes, and expressing ourselves. To dismiss a vast community of sock knitters as “obviously a scam” shows an inherent lack of respect for handcrafts. Grrrrrr

Second, Blue Moon Fiber arts is a really amazing company. It is a small business in a world of enormous corporations and they represent everything I love about small-scale production. They are personally dedicated to their product and it shows. They make Friggn’ AMAZING sock yarn in breathtaking color-ways. And if ever there is a problem, you can call and speak to a REAL person who is incredibly nice and who wants you to be happy because they take personal pride in their product. In fact, I called yesterday before all this news broke. I realize in retrospect that they must have been swamped with craziness trying to sort through a major business disaster, but they still patiently took the time to resolve my (very small) question and were really friendly. So… we have nice talented people making a product that improves my quality of life. I want this business (and others like it) to prosper, not be the target of banks who assume that nothing can be legitimate if it is not mainstream and done by some huge conglomerate.

I am a knitter, hear me roar, and don’t you DARE threaten my sock yarn.

You can read a rant from the Yarn Harlot and a copy of the letter that Blue Moon sent out here:
http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/

Blue Moon Fiber Arts itself is Here:
http://www.bluemoonfiberarts.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love the friendly faces of old Sorrows;
I have no secrets that they do not know.
-Karle Wilson Baker
squeakyweasels

Knitter, Writer, Yarner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007 12:27:53 PM »

That is just freakin unbelievable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sell ecofriendly luxury yarn, recycled at
http://stitchpop.artfire.com
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007 12:48:47 PM »

I was wondering when it'd pop up on here (Craftster went down before I could post it lol). I wonder what ends up happening with that bank lol. Hope they figure it out in the end, that they lost out on a major revenue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making A Scene Season 2 Sizzle
Fashion Fix: Glitter Sneakers
How To Make Toilet Paper Roll Tube Animals
How To Make A DIY Tea Bag Wreath
Great Ideas For DIY Easter Crafts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...