A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Batman's a scientist Table  (Read 2027 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fromvenuswithlove
« on: January 11, 2007 06:55:07 PM »

Inspired by the comic coffee book tables around these parts i thought id try my own for my BF's xmas pressent

Just have a question - i used modge podge (gloss) and did about 5 coats to seal it, anyhow the table then sat in my garage for 2weeks while we went home for xmas, last night when i took it to my bf's place there were heaps of air bubbles (there was a few but now theres heaps more and in one spot robin has aged greatly!) and it seems as if some of the pictures have shrunk as now there are gaps Sad im thinking it must have been the odd weather we've being having (lots of exteremes of temp - damn global warming!) - does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007 07:37:20 PM by fromvenuswithlove » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenny.bloodless
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007 08:39:36 AM »

I don't have your solution because I've never had that problem but I am a fan of decoupaged anything and I thought this was super cute. Maybe try just one coat next time and then a sealant of some sort. That's what I usually do. The only time I have bubbles or creases is when I'm sticking my image to an odd shaped piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Someday, somewhere anywhere, unfailingly, you'll find yourself, and that, and only that, can be the happiest or bitterest hour of your life. - Pablo Neruda
robotgirlomatic
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007 09:22:53 PM »

Thats really cool! I dont have your solution either since i've never really decoupaged anything at all! Good luck though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShaynaYasha
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007 06:03:40 AM »

Very cool table.  In the winter here in Florida, I get cold spells & then sudden heat & humidity.  When I do my decoupage & leave out to dry, I used to get air bubbles & "shrinkage" but then I tried this & it works.... 
1- I always put on my Modge-Podge with a sponge brush.  Never to heavy on the glue & nice, long even strokes.
2-when it's just about dry... say 99%...just barely tacky... I start coating with poly-coat.  Again with a sponge brush...long even strokes...blah,blah,blah.  If I catch air bubbles forming, I just poke 'em with a pin & continue to shalak.  Let that dry...more polycoat....you get the picture.

My stuff comes out shiny, hard & bubble free.  Thanx for letting me ramble on in your thread... I hope that this helps.  Great table!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

""Mother is the name of God on the lips and hearts of all children."- Eric Draven"
Lethaldread
horror+crafty= me!

Idle Hands are a .....eh you know what

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007 07:41:23 AM »

Well it looks like some moisture got it, next time you might want to add a sealant like the others said. I like to use Polyacyrillic, its a water based polyurethane that goes on nicely over a top coat of modge podge. I like to put on about 25 coats, lightly sand with fine sandpaper, and then apply about 25 more for a glossly smooth look. You may want to just put a few coats, whatever looks good to you.Cheesy

Thats a really good job though, I love how the comics fall into place. Right now my wife is working on a Marylin Monroe theme on our coffee table, you guys can expect pics in the coming week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fromvenuswithlove
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007 08:44:17 PM »

Thanks for your advice guys - i think i might be hooked by this decoupaging deal so look forward to more stuff soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beeeeee
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007 01:49:45 AM »

This rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm Estonian, so excuse me for my bad grammar.
kiden2
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007 08:45:25 AM »

That's so good. It makes me want to do a teenage mutnant ninja tutles one for my boyfriend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 11/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 12/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 13/26
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 8/13
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 1/26
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...