A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Tan Flowers handbag (pic heavy)  (Read 11166 times)
Tags for this thread: handbag , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thismomsews
« on: January 11, 2007 06:48:06 PM »

I made this little bag today to fit all of my basic necessities.  It fits my wallet, cell phone, lip glosses, makeup, keys, and calendar. I made a goof in my measurements though, so it is still wider than I wanted, but I needed something to keep all of my stuff in-I am always leaving something behind when I move from diaper bag, to tote bag, to purse.  Now I can just grab one little bag instead of a bunch of things!  

OK-details:  Fabric- from remnant bin at JoAnn's  
                 Size- 10" wide x 5 1/2" tall x 2 1/2" deep
                 Pattern-made it up

Thanks for looking!

Tutorial:
I'm going to attempt to explain how I did the zipper-warning! no professional knowledge here!   Cheesy  Im sure there is a better way to put in a zipper top, so if you know, please share!  

I was studying bags with zippers and trying to see how they were put together-I have looked at the tutorial for the slouchy hobo (by tinafish) http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=35575.0
but haven't made one yet.  This is similar, but no gatherings at the top. It is also like making a lined zippered pouch, but you don't sew across the zipper at the side seams-you make a little place for it along the top, so it tucks down into the sides.  I made a test bag out of scraps to make sure the design would work.  And I also made a new bag since the tan one was bigger than I wanted!

So here is how I did it-Some pictures were better than others so there are pictures along the way from two bags-the test bag was out of bright flowered scraps and my new bag is black canvas with plaid lining.  I used the same design for each just with different dimensions (I hope that make sense!)  
Test Bag:

Black and Plaid Bag:  

1. Decide how big you want the bag, add seam allowances, inches for the depth, then **1 inch to the top**  Cut out 2 outer and 2 lining pieces from this measurement.  Also cut out any pockets you want and the strap.  (my strap was about 1 inch wide)

2. On the top two corners of the outer and lining pieces measure in 1 inch and mark, then cut out a section between the marks 1 inch from the top of the bag.  

3. Make sure your zipper is at least as long as the total length of the bag.  Lay 1 lining piece right side up, line the top of the zipper with the edge facing right side up, then lay 1 outer piece right side down on top of the zipper and pin the edges.  

4. Sew the zipper in starting and stopping at the red dots in the drawing from step 2.  Fold the pieces back and iron flat-then topstitch along this edge.  Repeat along the other side of the zipper.

5. If you are putting in pockets or interfacing do this now. (the white part that you see in the rest of the photos is fusible fleece interfacing) Also sew up your strap if you havent done it yet.  

6. Now its time to start sewing up the bag!  Pin around the edges of the lining making sure to leave an opening in the bottom for turning and pin all the way up the edges of the tabs. You may want to pin the zipper and other tabs out of the way.  Sew this seam.   (it will not be flat due to the topstitching on the zipper area, but stretch it out as much as you can. )  I found it is easier to sew from the bottom to the top where the tabs are, then sew the bottom seams.  Open your zipper now (3/4 of the way-you will be turning the bag through this opening) Repeat on the outer pieces but sew completely across the bottom.  

7. Now reach through the hole in the lining bottom and pull the outer part through, flipping the whole thing through the zipper and push the lining to the inside.  Now at the ends of the zipper you should have little holes-get your strap and make sure it fits nicely down into the hole.  If it fits pin it into place along the outer fabric.  If the strap doesnt fit, you will need to trim and resew.   Sad

8. Carefully flip the bag inside out again, making sure you dont pull out the straps.

9. Now it is time to sew up the zipper tabs.  You should have 4 layers sticking out on the side tabs-the lining, zipper, strap end, and outer.  

Make these lay nice and flat and pin. (first remove the pin that you put on the outside -it was just to keep the strap from pulling out of the hole while you flipped the bag-and you don't want to sew over it!!) On the side where the zipper is open pin very carefully so the zipper teeth are together.  You may find it easier to make this lie flat of you push the fabric towards the zipper so it sort of makes a point toward the tabs.

You will be sewing close to the edge of the bag-  Fit this under the presser foot-It may be a tight squeeze-mine was!  If it is tight, you may have to push it along (carefully please-no needles through fingers now) or pull it along the back.

10. Trim the zipper tabs close to the seam

11. If you want your bag to have box corners on the bottom, do this now.  (mine were 1 inch in)

12. Turn your bag right side out again and sew up the hole in the lining- Done!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010 10:24:58 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007 06:56:22 PM »

OH!  I SO love this bag!  So professional-looking and very well-made!  And I like the size and shape just the way it is!
Fantastic!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

Everything happens for a reason.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007 06:57:48 PM »

You did a really nice job on that purse, very clean sewing job, I like it a lot.  And the neutral colors will go with everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ickle_1
The Man in Mint Green

This is Death's toast.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007 07:36:02 PM »

I love the shape and how clean and neat it looks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mebsmommy

searching for inspiration in everything

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007 07:46:50 AM »

Love it! 

Question:  When you sew a zipper in the top like that, how do you do it?  When I put my lining and outside pieces together, I put the WSO (wrong side out) lining on the outside, and the RSO (right side out) inside, then stitch them together.  Then pull the outside of the purse through a hole in the lining and push it back into the purse.  So, where does the zipper come into play? 

Or, do you make like a lined zipper 'pouch' and work from there?

Wow............I sound like I am on crack or something!  Does anyone know what I am talking about?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The best things you can give your children are roots and wings..............(?)
three thirty three..............my blog:  http://www.three30three.blogspot.com/
LaLaUnique

Rainbow Hearts!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007 11:19:44 AM »

Love the fabric (I'm a total fabric addict!), and it looks so neat and professional!!
Laura
XxX
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unique Handbags - by La La Unique!

Visit lalaunique.com to get your hands on these jaw-dropping, show-stopping, one-of-a-kind, unique bags!

Fresh designs and funky fabrics equal our 100% original style!
GirlyGirlBags
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007 08:29:08 PM »

What a lovely little bag, very sweet!! I just love the remnant bin!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thismomsews
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007 09:23:00 PM »

Thanks for all of the compliments Grin

mebsmommy -
I am working on some directions, we've been out of town...
Basically, it is a lined zippered pouch, but you don't sew through the zipper at the sides-you make tabs for it to go in at the top...I have pics that will help it all make sense once you see them!  Stay tuned!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rr
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007 09:43:33 PM »

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOPING FOR A TUTE THANK YOU
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lhardie
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007 11:48:32 PM »

I can't wait to see pics of how you put it together, and I hope you might consider writing out the steps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Hair Treatments for Oily Hair
InStyler Hair Straightening Treatment
How to Stop Hair Static
How to Get Modern Hollywood Pin Curls
How to Manage Winter Hair with Organic Products
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...