A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What Do Different Stitches Look Like and What Do You Use Them For  (Read 1534 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Deirdre
« on: January 11, 2007 08:30:09 AM »

There are loads of stitches.  What do they look like, how do you make them, and what are they good for?

Here's a list of the stitches in this thread:

heirloom stitch
feather stitch
ten decorative stitches
using decorative thread in the bobbin with the bridging stitch and the zigzag stitch

If you like this thread you might also like the different feet for your sewing machine and what those feet do thread.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007 04:09:36 PM by Deirdre » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deirdre
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007 10:04:21 PM »

Here are two stitches:  heirloom and feather.

Use your straight stitch foot for these two stitches.

These are the symbols for heirloom and feather on my machine.  Check your manual to see what yours looks like.

I'm using both of these stitches to applique a denim heart onto cotton.  Because the cotton is flimsy, I am using a stabilizer under the cotton.

Here's the applique all set up -- stabilizer on the botton, cotton, denim on the top.

Here's the finished applique with the heirloom stitch.

Here's the finished applique with the feather stitch.  It looks like baseball stitching.

Don't forget to tear away the stabilizer when you are done.  You can make cute patches with these stitches.

Deirdre
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stick

"I'm Only Good At Being Young"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007 12:59:24 PM »

Deirdre what kind of machine do you have there?  It looks like it has a ton of awesome stitches!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stick Officially Has Wists!
http://www.wists.com/appstatestick/all
Nineightohone

Don't make me come over there!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007 01:03:16 PM »

Deirdre what kind of machine do you have there?  It looks like it has a ton of awesome stitches!  Shocked
That's got to be a Husqvarna Viking (I'm sure I just spelled that wrong)

I got one for Christmas (Platinum series 755 quilt) and I'm in LOVE with it.

Thanks for showing the stitches! I haven't taken the class on mine yet and wasn't sure what to use all them for! (Imagine the surprise the first time I tried to do a zigzag stitch and my machine started sewing hearts!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.~

Please come see my Etsy shop! www.notjustpurses.e tsy.com Thanks Smiley
Deirdre
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007 02:50:56 PM »

LOL about the hearts!  It is a Husquevarna Viking, the Lily 555.  I treated myself when I was teaching sewing classes at our local Joanne's. 

I went to a sewing class the other night and discovered  these two stitches and realized there's a whole world out there bigger than the straight stitch. 

My machine has 240 different stitches.  200 of those are purely decorative, so I am tinkering with the first 40 to see what they do. Then I will start playing with the other 200 stitches.

Deirdre
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deirdre
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007 07:24:37 PM »

Well I was going to show the entredeux tonight using the wing needle, but it didn't work.  I have to find out what I am doing wrong.

In the meantime, I decided to play with the decorative stitches, to see what they look like.

Here are 10 different decorative stitches:

One through nine on the left menu and sixteen on the right menu:

« Last Edit: January 14, 2007 07:43:56 PM by Deirdre » THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007 08:17:52 PM »

Oh, these are LOVELY!

My ancient Kenmore has practically NO decorative stitches (just a featherstitich which is billed as a stretch stitch), and maybe someday I'll get a fancy schmancy machine that can do all sorts of things, but in the meantime.....

A friend just had quadruplets (!!!!!!!!) and I wanted to make her some larger than average 100% cotton receiving blankets, but I didn't like the look of a serged hem, so I turned under a hem and used a featherstitich around the dozen that I made, and I was very satisfied.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Deirdre
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007 08:35:02 AM »

That's very cool.  The featherstitch looks really good as a topstitch.

I think people have more stitches on their machines than they realize.   I sewed on an old Sears Kenmore that my sister had in the 1960s! and even on that old monster I had at least 10 different stitches.

These decorative stitches can be copied on old machines as well.  To get the diamond, do a zigzag stitch then turn the material and do a zig zag stitch back.  Easy peasy.

To get the box stitch, do a straight stitch, then go back and every stitch do a zigzag set on the widest width but zero for the stitch length.  Then straight stitch down the other side.

Deirdre
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sunray

Everyone's favorite generic superhero.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007 07:40:10 PM »

WOW, and I thought my sewing machine had a lot [well, 25, but most of those I don't recognize!]

That feather stitching looks cool for that use, I'll have to try it.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Deirdre
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007 03:20:18 PM »

The next stitch I have done isn't a stitch so much as a technique using different threads in my bobbin.

I took embroidery thread and wound it onto a bobbin.

Then I put the bobbin into the bobbin case, but I didn't run the embroidery thread through the tension.

I rolled my wheel forward one stitch to catch the embroidery thread with the upper thread, and pulled it out.

Because the decorative thread is in the bobbin case, sew with the fabric upside down.

I used the bridging stitch for my first decorative stitch.

This is what the bridging stitch looks like:

Next I used the zigzag stitch.

I used gold ribbon for this stitch.

Deirdre
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007 04:08:01 PM by Deirdre » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Prepare an Onion in Chinese cooking - Part 2
Prepare an Onion in Chinese cooking - Part 1
Prepare Broccoli for Chinese food
Prepare Bok Choy for Chinese food
How to store cooking oil for later use
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...