A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Im making 90 DR.Seuss costumes and needs help.....patterns......and advice!  (Read 1659 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Harry4ever
« on: October 05, 2004 08:13:03 PM »

HELP!I need some help pease.
I need who costumes(occupationaly dressed)
I need cadet costumes(wretched military)
I need Jungle creature patterns...
I also need lots of help. If you could find pictures of Dr.seuss charters, and post em, I would appreciate it.
This is 4 a community theater.
Were doin' "the Seussical the musical!"
My son is in to theater and I am involved. Im chairman of the costume commity...lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want craft books?
they should always be avalable at
the whistle stop shop

http://stores.ebay.com/whistle-stop-shop
auntiem
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004 01:13:03 PM »

Sorry, don't have Suess pix to post, but I do have advice on costuming for the stage ( unsolicited I know). Don't waste time or energy on the details - they won't "read" from the stage anyways you will be suprised what you can get away with. Iron on hem tape and velcro are your best friend. If the show is running more than a few nights and/or there are quick changes - reinforce all seams that will be stressed - ex. armpits. If it is running for several weeks, plan a refitting/repair session 2/3rds of the way thru.  Use easlily washable fabric (i.e. rinse in sink) on all areas near the neck and hands. Also, watch a few of the blocking rehersals to make sure the actors can do what they need to in your costume. Check with the lighting director to see what color gels they are using (black and brown look horrid in scenes with green gels).  If you put blood sweat and tears into the costumes - do not under any circumstances enter the green room - trust me - you do not want to know what happens to your costumes once actors have a hold of them.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004 01:19:07 PM by auntiem » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Electra
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004 04:14:52 PM »

i completely completely agree with everything auntiem said. tiny details are not always noticeable from 50 feet away and if the auditorium is large enough...your hard work is all a waste. i'd imagine that suessical sets are colorful, so start with a list of characters and their scene/location on stage, etc. etc. make sure the costumes don't blend in with the set so the characters will still be seen, and as a rule...characters who are in the same scene generally should not have similarly colored costumes. with 90 costumes, however, some of the rules of thumb may be difficult to adhere to.

personally, i am jealous of this massive endeavor and if you were in my area i'd offer to help. it sounds like SO much fun.

when is the run?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ithinktomuch
Slightly Insane

Yarn is my drug of choice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004 11:30:22 AM »

Hope I'm not to late!
http://www.ezthemes.com/previews/d/drsuess.jpg

I just googled images, Dr. Suess
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004 11:35:01 AM by Ithinktomuch » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's be free to be you and me, free to crochet and knit, free to twirl hooks and click needles" -Debbie Stoller
Mojo
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004 11:42:46 AM »

http://www.seussville.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Frozen Margarita Watermelon Pops
Pink Lemonade Cupcake Recipe
Butter Pie Crust Dough Recipe
Molasses Crackle Cookies Recipe
Butter Pecan Ice Cream Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...