A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,731
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can You Help Me Learn To Crochet?  (Read 7116 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NessaGurl
« on: January 11, 2007 02:30:10 AM »

Give me a bag, and I can pretty much break it down and tell you how its made... but when it comes to crocheting... I'm hopeless, or at least that's how it feels to me. Am I the only one who can't wrap their head around how it works, and how the stitches are made.

I REALLY want to learn how to crochet! I'm not sure if I just can't do it cause I want it so badly... do you have any tips or know any websites that could help me? I have a booklet from the seventies, the happy hooker and numerous other crochet books and magazines that I have tried to learn from. I have also had my mother and my MIL try to help me. DO you think I will ever learn or should I just give up Huh

If you think you can help me... please try as I still really want to learn.

thanks
nessagurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
LadyTwilyte
The Geek

Who wants to sleep with the fishes?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007 04:34:04 AM »

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=67287.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

My current craft project: crochet domokun doll.
NessaGurl
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007 04:43:43 AM »

Duh... thanks, I totally overlooked that when I was searching for info.
I'll check it out.

thanks

nessa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
missamorphosis
"The man who has no imagination has no wings."~ Muhammad Ali

Butterflies, Buttons, & Crochet--ah, life is good!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007 07:37:03 AM »

The link you were referred to is great! Here's a few more ideas to help you along:

Web Sites:
Lion Brand Yarn - Learn to Crochet
Learn to Knit & Crochet
Crochet911

Books:
- Maran Illustrated Knitting and Crocheting - Although this book is mostly knitting, it has a small but great section for learning to crochet, with real photos instead of illustrations. It helped me more than any other book when I first started learning. However, my suggestion is that unless you want to learn to knit as well, save the money and borrow it from the library.
- Crocheting School
-Teach Yourself VISUALLY Crocheting - I don't own this book, but I flipped through it recently and it looks like a good visual aid to learn from.

Magazines:
Crochet Today - It's new, it's fun, and it has sections geared for people wanting to learn to crochet. It's by far my favorite crochet magazine out there.

My advice: Get your chain and single crochet stitches down-pat first. For me, once I mastered that, I was easily able to learn the rest as I needed to. Try easy patterns first, to help you get the idea of how crochet works. Once you're confident enough, just pick a pattern you like and try it, even if it states a skill level higher than you feel like you're on. It will help you learn the other stitches. Too, once you've decided you're going to stick with it, invest in all of the hooks. I got most of mine together in a pouch, then added the ones that weren't included. Now, no matter what the project, I have the hook I need, and if the one a pattern calls for doesn't work for me, I can easily go to the next size, and honestly, I've used just about every single one of them at least once--some more than others--with the exception of the steel ones.

If you need any help, feel free to send me a message. I don't know it all, but I'll help best as I can. There's so many resources out there; it's just a matter of finding the one (or several) that work for you.

Good Luck & Have Fun!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007 07:45:47 AM by missamorphosis » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shade Tree Crochet (crochet/craft blog)
Stitch-Stirrers - prompts and other fun things for the crocheter
hurdles2006
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007 12:38:23 PM »

a great book to learn from is the Klutz Crochet book.  I don't think it is actually called that but if you search on Amazon for klutz and crochet, you shoud be able to find it.  It has geat step by step instructions for each of the basic stitches and has several patterns.  The patterns are also written out step by step instead of in the traditional manner. 

I got this book for Christmas and it helped me learn how to make a granny square and has made me really confident in making hats.

I hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kate
krys
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007 12:10:00 PM »

Hello

I am new to crocheting and am attempting to teach myself.  Are there any books that you would recommend to learn how to crochet?  I have seen the websites listed, I was just curious about books.  Thanks and have a great weekend.

Krys Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peas & love,
Krys
eatyerhartout
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007 07:48:37 PM »

I learned from a lionbrand kit. It comes with all the necessities and a short tutorial book w/patterns. You can find it at any Wal-mart, Hobby Lobby, or Joann's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007 09:28:53 PM »

There is a crochet FAQ located at the top of the crochet discussion and question forum. Its incredibly useful and will answer all your questions. If you still have questions, use the search function. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
Aphadon
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007 07:26:49 AM »

When I taught myself, I bought a little booklet that had all the instructions and a few simple patterns (that I didn't actually use), a cheap skein of yarn and a hook (that totally didn't match, size-wise *lol*). Cheaper than a kit, but the same result really.

If you want a good book with patterns, go for The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller. Even though I already knew how to crochet, I was given it for my birthday, and it's awsome. It has a ton of info on learning to crochet, plus lots of simple patterns, and some more advanced ones for when you're more comfortable. Definitely worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zenobia
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007 04:59:41 PM »

Seriously, any "teach yourself to crochet" book will do, but the HH book mentioned by Aphadon is great & the patterns are awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Luminance Feature in Lightroom, Part 2
How to Soften Skin in Lightroom
Adjustment Brush in Lightroom
Exposure Blending Panoramic Photography
Do megapixels really matter on digital cameras?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...