A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,170
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can You Help Me Learn To Crochet?  (Read 7292 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NessaGurl
« on: January 11, 2007 02:30:10 AM »

Give me a bag, and I can pretty much break it down and tell you how its made... but when it comes to crocheting... I'm hopeless, or at least that's how it feels to me. Am I the only one who can't wrap their head around how it works, and how the stitches are made.

I REALLY want to learn how to crochet! I'm not sure if I just can't do it cause I want it so badly... do you have any tips or know any websites that could help me? I have a booklet from the seventies, the happy hooker and numerous other crochet books and magazines that I have tried to learn from. I have also had my mother and my MIL try to help me. DO you think I will ever learn or should I just give up Huh

If you think you can help me... please try as I still really want to learn.

thanks
nessagurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
LadyTwilyte
The Geek

Who wants to sleep with the fishes?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007 04:34:04 AM »

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=67287.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

My current craft project: crochet domokun doll.
NessaGurl
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007 04:43:43 AM »

Duh... thanks, I totally overlooked that when I was searching for info.
I'll check it out.

thanks

nessa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
missamorphosis
"The man who has no imagination has no wings."~ Muhammad Ali

Butterflies, Buttons, & Crochet--ah, life is good!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007 07:37:03 AM »

The link you were referred to is great! Here's a few more ideas to help you along:

Web Sites:
Lion Brand Yarn - Learn to Crochet
Learn to Knit & Crochet
Crochet911

Books:
- Maran Illustrated Knitting and Crocheting - Although this book is mostly knitting, it has a small but great section for learning to crochet, with real photos instead of illustrations. It helped me more than any other book when I first started learning. However, my suggestion is that unless you want to learn to knit as well, save the money and borrow it from the library.
- Crocheting School
-Teach Yourself VISUALLY Crocheting - I don't own this book, but I flipped through it recently and it looks like a good visual aid to learn from.

Magazines:
Crochet Today - It's new, it's fun, and it has sections geared for people wanting to learn to crochet. It's by far my favorite crochet magazine out there.

My advice: Get your chain and single crochet stitches down-pat first. For me, once I mastered that, I was easily able to learn the rest as I needed to. Try easy patterns first, to help you get the idea of how crochet works. Once you're confident enough, just pick a pattern you like and try it, even if it states a skill level higher than you feel like you're on. It will help you learn the other stitches. Too, once you've decided you're going to stick with it, invest in all of the hooks. I got most of mine together in a pouch, then added the ones that weren't included. Now, no matter what the project, I have the hook I need, and if the one a pattern calls for doesn't work for me, I can easily go to the next size, and honestly, I've used just about every single one of them at least once--some more than others--with the exception of the steel ones.

If you need any help, feel free to send me a message. I don't know it all, but I'll help best as I can. There's so many resources out there; it's just a matter of finding the one (or several) that work for you.

Good Luck & Have Fun!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007 07:45:47 AM by missamorphosis » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shade Tree Crochet (crochet/craft blog)
Stitch-Stirrers - prompts and other fun things for the crocheter
hurdles2006
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007 12:38:23 PM »

a great book to learn from is the Klutz Crochet book.  I don't think it is actually called that but if you search on Amazon for klutz and crochet, you shoud be able to find it.  It has geat step by step instructions for each of the basic stitches and has several patterns.  The patterns are also written out step by step instead of in the traditional manner. 

I got this book for Christmas and it helped me learn how to make a granny square and has made me really confident in making hats.

I hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kate
krys
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007 12:10:00 PM »

Hello

I am new to crocheting and am attempting to teach myself.  Are there any books that you would recommend to learn how to crochet?  I have seen the websites listed, I was just curious about books.  Thanks and have a great weekend.

Krys Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peas & love,
Krys
eatyerhartout
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007 07:48:37 PM »

I learned from a lionbrand kit. It comes with all the necessities and a short tutorial book w/patterns. You can find it at any Wal-mart, Hobby Lobby, or Joann's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007 09:28:53 PM »

There is a crochet FAQ located at the top of the crochet discussion and question forum. Its incredibly useful and will answer all your questions. If you still have questions, use the search function. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
Aphadon
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007 07:26:49 AM »

When I taught myself, I bought a little booklet that had all the instructions and a few simple patterns (that I didn't actually use), a cheap skein of yarn and a hook (that totally didn't match, size-wise *lol*). Cheaper than a kit, but the same result really.

If you want a good book with patterns, go for The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller. Even though I already knew how to crochet, I was given it for my birthday, and it's awsome. It has a ton of info on learning to crochet, plus lots of simple patterns, and some more advanced ones for when you're more comfortable. Definitely worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zenobia
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007 04:59:41 PM »

Seriously, any "teach yourself to crochet" book will do, but the HH book mentioned by Aphadon is great & the patterns are awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007 06:29:50 PM »

I got a book from Leisure Arts called 'Cool Stuff Teach Me To Crochet' it shows right and left handed crochet and it has cool patterns which I never did any of them but it is a cool book. I also had this book I got from Wal-Mart called I think it was 'I Taught Myself To Crochet' and it has hooks G-K and a afghan hook, some sticth holders, needles and some other stuff but to me it was worth the $11 on sale price to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
eatyerhartout
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007 08:56:10 PM »

I also had this book I got from Wal-Mart called I think it was 'I Taught Myself To Crochet' and it has hooks G-K and a afghan hook, some sticth holders, needles and some other stuff but to me it was worth the $11 on sale price to me.

I think this is the name of the kit I learned by. It wasn't the greatest, but it was an awesome starter kit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
zenobia
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007 09:02:11 PM »

Mine was like that, too... with all the hooks, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aztecr3ina

I'm not that kind of girl

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007 09:11:37 PM »

I sort of had to relearn how to crochet about five years ago (Mom taught me how to chain and I never got past that). Michael's had a booklet called "Learn to Crochet in 10-20-30 minutes" that was pretty good. In literally 30 minutes I was doing single crochet, double crochet, slip stitch and half double crochet. I also got a Susan Bates starter hook set and a skein of cheapie cotton yarn. Made lots of dishcloths and potholders.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
R3n331
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007 05:52:50 PM »

I got a book at walmart called teach myself to crochet and I did alot of google searches
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kittyvanghoul
One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art. Oscar Wilde

Getting covered in glue since 1976

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007 10:39:03 PM »

Hi!

I have been looking at all the lovely things people are making on here and am desperate to learn how to crochet. I bought my first hook and wool yesterday and I am just kind of....well looking at it wondering where to start! Does anyone fancy being my tutor (I pick things up quite quickly...honest!) or if anyone knows of a good beginners guide.

Many thanks

Kitty
x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'I would rather walk to Hell in high heels than to Heaven in flats'

Love Personal Swaps...just message me Smiley
gerrijo

I heart bunnies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007 11:15:20 PM »

oh me too, me too!!  I so want to learn even just to crochet cute little animals for the DD.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pocketwatch
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007 11:24:03 PM »

I am shocking myself with how presumptuous I'm being as I only learned to crochet today:

http://www.learntoknit.com/instructions_cr.php3 is where I went, it's the first one if you do a google search. I didn't understand the diagrams but the text was understandable.

I am too excited by crocheting not to put this:

First make a slipknot! If you twist yarn into a loop like a cancer ribbon and pull a second loop through also and then tighten the cancer loop you have a slip knot. It's exactly like a regular knot if instead of pulling the whole tail through you only pull it part way and then tighten.

Then you make a lot more slip knots through the first one but use the hook to help you. Stick the hook through the slipknot and wrap the yarn around the hook and then pull the hook through the slipknot and tighten the new loop. After you do that several times comes the really, really counter intuitive part. You turn the work around, skip one loop (a chain I think it is called), stick the hook through the next loop, and do the wrapping pulling procedure again, except you do it to both of the loops on the needle, not just the front one.

(I'm sorry. I should leave you alone. You are the second person today that I told this to, Undecided the first was my dad and as props I used my fingers as yarn and a fork for the hook. I am really excited.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ssloane
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007 11:31:26 PM »

so i want to learn how to crochet more than a scarf, but i just cant understand the crocheting books. so does anyone know a site that can help me learn how to make things like hats etc without all the big terms? i may be dumb in understanding the terms but i have noone to show me how to do various things in the crocheting world.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007 11:35:24 PM »

(I'm sorry. I should leave you alone. You are the second person today that I told this to, Undecided the first was my dad and as props I used my fingers as yarn and a fork for the hook. I am really excited.)

YAY!!! way to go PocketWatch  Grin Grin Grin spread the word!!

I bought a couple of "teach yourself" books from the charity shop...and STILL can't get the hang of hooking  Sad
I don't think it helps that there's a difference in the UK/US translations a SC to me is something different to a SC in the US ...and most of the freebie patterns I've come across are American (but thats REALLLLLY getting ahead of myself)

Good luck Kitty with finding someone to help you out  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
Kittyvanghoul
One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art. Oscar Wilde

Getting covered in glue since 1976

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007 11:50:03 PM »

I found a great site to get me started....

and just done my first chain  Grin...but stuck now, it will make a cute scarf for a mouse hahaha.

I need to get some brighter wool, I started with black and can't see the stitches very well.  Also it seems to get very tight and hard to pull the stitch though, I don't think I am holding it properly either hahaha

Kitty
x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'I would rather walk to Hell in high heels than to Heaven in flats'

Love Personal Swaps...just message me Smiley
gerrijo

I heart bunnies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007 11:52:45 PM »

just how helpful are you miss pocketwatch!?!  You should be excited, you learned something awesome today
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2007 12:08:14 AM »

I don't have a problem with the chain stitch, its what comes AFTER that I mess up on lol
Kitty, I would DEF' use a lighter colour yarn! I bought a ball of chunky cream yarn and a pretty big hook to get me started. I need to be able to see what I'm doing  Smiley
 I did seem to have it down once and was hooking away happily untilI realised it was getting narrower and narrower as I went along  Huh
another thing I'm not sure I'm doing right is where I stick the hook through the stitch below.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
funkyflower
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007 01:08:21 AM »

http://www.powderroom.net/page.php?pageID=390&title=Crochet  this is pretty good for non technical terminology!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
R3n331
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007 01:54:22 AM »

Yep thats a great sight Ty Funky
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arwhyn
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007 03:44:02 AM »

hi guys,
i only learned how to crochet about 4 months or so ago!
what i recommend is, read the crochet FAQs on this forum, there's lots of tutorials as to how to do the stitches and stuff! that's how i learned it. it's easy once you get started, believe me! Smiley
if you need any more help or advice, feel free to pm me.
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

never underestimate the power of the emperor!
R3n331
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007 03:52:07 AM »

I learned by a book i got at walmart for beginner crocheters Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DarlaTremere
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007 05:37:02 AM »

google lionbrand and they have teach ur self online thingys--

http://learntocrochet.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=113

oh and lotsa free patterns
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LongtimeLurkerO.o
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007 05:53:24 AM »

And, whenever you're trying to learn a new stitch or technique, www.nexstitch.com has video clips you can follow along with for just about every crochet technique I can think of... and then some. Plus, she talks in crochet pattern terms as she works the stitch, so you'll pick up on how to read patterns as you learn the techniques. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2007 06:04:01 AM »

Ladies--- www.nexstitch.com is your answer. Watch and listen as she demonstrates each stitch and technique. Fabulous.

Zaftig--- if you are starting with American patterns, consider going ahead and learning from this American site (nexstitch) while just remembering that your country uses different names for the same techniques. Concentrate on learning how to DO the stitches, maybe, and then get yourself some UK patterns and just make notes on them so that you will do the stitches correctly. I think after a couple of UK patterns that you should have the stitch names down pat as long as you've kept in mind that the American names were not the only names for them. The reason I suggest this is after I learned American-style (I'm American) I picked up on the British lingo so I could use UK patterns I was interested in. I just made notes in the margins to remind me of the differences. And, of course, the system you use most is the one that will stick in your mind, so I don't think (hopefully) that an American start would forever hobble you in use of patterns published on your side of the big pond. I just haven't found a UK site with the stitch videos, and they are so helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft-matic
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2007 06:08:58 AM »

I have been crocheting since age 7. To learn I recommend starting with a yarn that is a medium range, bright color, and also it helps if it's acrylic yarn.  It won't get too fuzzy and it stretches a bit more than wool. 

crochet.about.com has some good stuff. (Start here:)

http://crochet.about.com/library/blbeginners.htm

And consider Debbie Stoller's book for crochet (Stitch and Bitch Crochet: the Happy Hooker).  I didn't learn to crochet from it, obviously, but I've heard people talking about how it was a good guide, and certainly her beginner's books for knitting are great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
KeenKitty
Accident free since...what time is it?

Because everyone loves a muppet...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007 08:22:55 AM »

OK.  I saw this pattern on several people and I have NO CLUE how to make it!  I tried looking it up on about but short of trial and error is this pattern just too difficult?

http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/cpatt16.htm

I want to take out the rolled brim and add a newsboy brim... I may just have to wait for Nilla's pattern!

Keen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkyflower
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2007 02:10:43 AM »

OK.  I saw this pattern on several people and I have NO CLUE how to make it!  I tried looking it up on about but short of trial and error is this pattern just too difficult?

http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/cpatt16.htm

I want to take out the rolled brim and add a newsboy brim... I may just have to wait for Nilla's pattern!

Keen

that hat's one of my favourites, but one thing i found when learning to crochet was to move on if a project if you aren't coping/gauging correctly and come back to it later!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2007 02:46:42 PM »

Ladies--- www.nexstitch.com is your answer. Watch and listen as she demonstrates each stitch and technique. Fabulous.

Thanks for the kudos! Watching something being done has always been my way to learn, and hence the reason why I added the videos to my site. I'm glad they're helping you.

If you're reading a pattern that's fromthe UK, the idea stated above is excellent: make annotations in the margins for how to make each stitch. I'm sure that'll be a lifesaver and reduce frustration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2007 06:41:55 PM »

Okay...so I am basically a newbie to crafting. I have minimal sewing skills, so imagine how elated I was when I decided to search on how to do different crafts: sewing, purses, knitting, crocheting, and etc. So, I have soaked up all of the wonderful information on here, especially with my newfound favorite craft knitting, but yet, I am still utterly and completely baffled by how to do crochet. No matter how long I practice and how hard I try to get the concept, I can't get it! I just wanted to fume and let out my frustration here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
R3n331
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2007 06:44:21 PM »

WIP< Dont give up Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2007 07:05:56 PM »

Kiss Aw...thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

r.brumback

I'm guy I crochet...and I'm a boy

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2007 07:34:31 PM »

Here hun,
http://www.nexstitch.com/Tutorials.html
This is a great web site with videos.  I found that this is one of the best ways to learn.  Watching someone is far better than
"Insert hook blah blah blah" 
Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2007 08:10:38 PM »

O gosh! Thank you so much! I got my yarn and crochet needle, repeated the chain video 20 times and I finally got it! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love these videos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angeltreats
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2007 12:17:03 AM »

Well done you!  Crochet is great, wait till you get the hang of it and you'll see that it's WAY faster than knitting Cheesy

I too was a knitter who was desperate to learn crochet but just couldn't get the hang of it.  In the end I signed up for crochet classes at my LYS - all it took was someone to actually show me what to do and I picked it up straight away.  Now there is no stopping me.  Wish I'd known about those tutorial videos before though, it might have saved me a lot of money!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

r.brumback

I'm guy I crochet...and I'm a boy

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2007 07:05:12 AM »

Thought I'd send this to all you Ex-knitters
http://www.eyhom.com/cultofknit.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2007 04:45:38 PM »

r-brumback...wow  Shocked I didn't know that the whole knitting thing could be that serious. Well, as a beginner, I don't really have a stash at all, so I'll try to restrain from buying a big stash just for knitting. But yes, as it said in the article, part of the reason why I wanted to learn about crochet as well is because it is faster. And being a slow knitter already, I'm wanting to speed things up a bit. However, I do hope to do both.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sushiluvzombie
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2008 05:50:23 PM »

i just started teaching myself how to crochet about two weeks ago, and the answer for me was youtube. i just had to search 'crochet' and thousands of how-to videos got me started on the right track. and let me tell you, being able to watch someone do it was way better than trying to figure out confusing diagrams in a book. i'm still learning and making tons of mistakes, even on my first project, a scarf (i mean, come on, who can mess that up? me apparently) so for anybody just starting out like me, who's majorly confused, i would seriously recommend just taking a couple of minutes to check out a couple of videos
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Puree
New York Cheesecake Recipe
Weeknight Beef Stir Fry Recipe
Homemade Apple Pie Recipe
Maple French Toast Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...