A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pretty pasta  (Read 11442 times)
Tags for this thread: pasta , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beara0034
« on: October 05, 2004 03:05:30 PM »

I'm working on my degree in Elementary Education, and today in my math methods course we made this really cool stuff that you can use to help you teach kids math, but I thought all the smart people here on Craftster could find tons of other uses for it!  

Isn't it pretty?  Grin  It's just different kinds of macaroni dyed with rubbing alcohol and food coloring.  It's cheap, quick, and easy to do!

Here's what you need:
Different types of macaroni/pasta
Rubbing alcohol
Food coloring
Gallon-size ziplock bags
Old newspaper

Here's what you do:
1.  Pour some rubbing alcohol into your ziplock bag.  About 1/3 of a pint will color two big handfuls of macaroni.

2.  Add in your food coloring.  For most colors, about 1/3 to 1/2 of those little bottles that come in four-packs will do the job.  For some colors, like blue or purple, you may need to use a lot more - even the whole bottle.  If you use paste or gel food coloring, add enough so that the colors will be deep.

3.  Fill up your zip lock bag with a couple big handfuls of macaroni.  It should be about half full.

4.  Knead your bag carefully until the pasta is deeply colored.  (Be careful about poking a hole in your bag with sharp pieces of pasta!)

5.  When you are satisfied with your color, drain the ziplock bag by cutting a small piece off of the corner.  Careful, it comes out quick!  My professor said it was okay to put it down the sink, just run some water to make sure you don't dye your sink!

6.  Place the macaroni on layers of newspapers to dry.  If you do this outside, be sure the macaroni is drained well, because if the alcohol seeps through the newspaper, it will kill the grass!  

And that's it!  For our class, everyone brought two different kinds of pasta and we mixed it all up together.  Everyone did one color, and then we mixed it all back up again.  That way, we got lots of different colors and different shapes.  Here's a close up of some of the different shapes and colors we got:

Kids can learn sorting, colors, shapes, graphing skills, and anything else you can use counters for with these.  I thought they'd also be great for a myriad of craft projects.  Hope you have fun!   Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009 02:17:19 PM by rackycoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004 03:38:16 PM »

Ooh, that is pretty. Now I want pasta for dinner. Hahaha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004 04:01:05 PM »

its so pretty!! *off to dye some ronis*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004 04:04:03 PM »

Pasta crafts always make me think of Kramer's macoroni people on Seinfeld, hehe.

Back to the actual topic, your pasta is so bright! I don't think I ever dyed it like that when I was little. I know I colored pasta with markers, but it didn't look nearly as nice. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stunnedbannana
I love mixed media and all things vintage

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004 04:10:10 PM »

ha ha that seinfeld was on just last night.
just wanted to say that im liken this pasta...what would you make out of it though besides fuscilli jeri lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katmiller79
Peanut Butter Queen

*Mommy is the Peanut Butter Queen*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004 05:19:24 PM »

Pasta crafts always make me think of Kramer's macoroni people on Seinfeld, hehe.

LOL .. I totally remember this..
Thats a neat idea.. I have kids and I think maybe this can have a spin put on it..
like those lost and found jars ..for kids ..
you put rice and little things in it for them to "find" when they shake it up..
if they find so many items they get points etc..
kind of like a travel game..
Im thinking these would be cute for a like tic tac toe game ina  baby food jar that has been decorated  or soemthing..
like tic tac toe on the go or somethign LOL ..
Brainstorming here.. kat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to 4 Kidlets !
Cassiopia1
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004 07:11:50 PM »

Oh my GOD. So cool.

I really covet them. I feel a pasta jewelry day coming on Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beara0034
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004 07:34:39 PM »

Thats a neat idea.. I have kids and I think maybe this can have a spin put on it..
like those lost and found jars ..for kids ..
you put rice and little things in it for them to "find" when they shake it up..
if they find so many items they get points etc..
kind of like a travel game..
Im thinking these would be cute for a like tic tac toe game ina  baby food jar that has been decorated  or soemthing..
like tic tac toe on the go or somethign LOL ..
Brainstorming here.. kat

I've never heard of those lost & found jars, but that's a really neat idea!  Tic tac toe in a jar too... games to go are always good.   Smiley

Maybe I'm weird, but I think it would be cool to just put this stuff in a clear vase or jar and display it.  I know people have normal pasta out in jars on their kitchen counters quite often, but having funky blue pasta might be a cool twist.  You could use colors to match your room, or just do one color but all different kinds of pasta.  Very textural.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The_Real_Kittygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004 02:04:36 AM »

Maybe I'm weird, but I think it would be cool to just put this stuff in a clear vase or jar and display it.  I know people have normal pasta out in jars on their kitchen counters quite often, but having funky blue pasta might be a cool twist.  You could use colors to match your room, or just do one color but all different kinds of pasta.  Very textural.

I love that idea!! I also love the colorful pasta! I have one problem, though. I have no idea what rubbing alcohol is...any substitutes? I live in Finland, I think we don't have it here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fizzysister
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004 03:25:00 AM »

That's sooooo pretty!
It made me think though, anyone who makes their own pasta (it's really easy!) could put food coloring in when they make it and have the best coloured dinner!

Also, I think that rubbing alcohol is known as Surgical Spirit here in the UK, I don't know if that helps you out in Fnland.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Emxxx
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make HD-Quality Videos with Camtasia Studio
How to Create Moving Text GIFs
How to Use Prolines Vol 2 Sports Poster
How to Add Smaller Images to a Larger One
How to Use a Mask and Brush Tool in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...