A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,550
Currently Running With Scissors:
370 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fairy Wings - What type of paint to use??  (Read 606 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NLJ
« on: January 10, 2007 04:40:43 PM »

I have to make 14 pairs of fairy wings for my daughter's birthday party.  I'm using 14 gauge wire and covering them with white knee highs.  My problem is with the paint.  I tried watercolor paint but it just beaded up on the nylons.  I also tried acrylic but it doesn't seem to look that good.  Any suggestions?

Also, I'm going to use a wood burning tool to make holes in the wings and I didn't know if I should do it before or after I paint.

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schizo319
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007 04:45:35 PM »

I used acrylic on mine, but it didn't look great. What about some fabric paint? Like the puffy or glittery kind?

BTW, I burned my holes with an incense stick, and i did them before I painted.

Good luck! Whew - 14 pairs of wings!?! What an ambitious project! I hope you post pics, I'd love to see them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thrashaway
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007 07:18:49 PM »

For halloween I had to paint my fairy wings as well. I used an acrylic spray paint and it worked out great. I did it in our garage and just placed garbage bags underneath. I held the can about a foot away moving back and forth across the wings to give them an even coat. Then, while the paint was still drying I poured glitter on top of them so they stuck when the wings were dry. It worked out great and I got so many compliments. Doing 2 pairs of wings front and back only used up one of those miniature cans. When im not so lazy I will post them on here with my costume.

If that doesnt work maybe try putting diluted acrylic crafters paint in a spray bottle, but it would probably take alot longer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amara
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007 10:54:48 PM »

I am in the process of making a ton of fairy wings, the same way you are. High-gauge wire with white knee-highs pulled over them.

I use acrylic paint, and mix it in a plastic cup with water: half paint, half water. Then I stir it, and start painting. I like how the paint bleeds and leaves a nice fade effect: it looks cool if you have a lighter shade/color on the middle of the wing and it fades to a darker color or shade around the edges. Sometimes it takes three or four coats before I get the color saturated enough for my taste. Then I go nuts with glitter glue (because who doesn't like glitter?) making patterns on the wings. When I'm done, I spray it with one of those clear coat finish things (not sure what it's called). I don't know if the clear coat finish actually does anything, but I like to think it makes the pantyhose stronger.

I made a pair for my boyfriend's niece's 5th birthday back in April, and she plays with them all of the time. They haven't ripped or gotten too badly bent, and she's requested another pair of wings for her next birthday so she doesn't have to take turns when she has a friend over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hottest Fashion For Mardi Gras Balls
Survey Shows Women Have No Shame In Buying Fake Designer Items
Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt Prove the Power of Neutrals
Carbon Copy: Get The Military Jacket With Leather Sleeve For Less
3 Ways to Wear Your Turtleneck Sweater
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...