A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,649
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Possibly getting a new Janome sewing machine, need advice & opinions!  (Read 2924 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007 06:58:17 AM »

Well, I guess you don't need another opinion anymore, but I'll give it to you anyway! Tongue I bought a bottom-line Kenmore, the one made by Janome, years ago, and have used the life out of it, and it's still going strong, now have a Janome QE Something or other, absolutely love it, and now just bought a Janome MyLock 744D, which I haven't tried yet, but have only heard good things about, too.

I'm all about the Janomes, lol. I got two of my friends buying the identical Kenmore I had, but a later model, and they both love love love them, as well. No regrets, ever!

I'm also all about the Janomes now, I'm a total convert! Cheesy
The thing that really did it for me as far as deciding to go with the Janome was that the worst anyone had to say about them is that the white plastic gets dirty easily and that if you hold your arms a certain way when you sew the accessory box might pop open.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ImaHoundDog
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007 09:21:59 AM »

I just got a Janome serger for Christmas and so far it's really good, it even came threaded all ready to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007 09:31:02 AM »

I bought myself a Janome Harmony 8080 (discontinued, floor model was the last one they had, for $100) at the beginning of December, and I really like it.  It's a lot like my old Kenmore (12 years old, and still works great, but the new one has some fancy stitches too), probably because most Kenmores are made by Janome.  Smiley  I know there are much higher end machines (and more expensive machines), but it's good for what I sew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007 10:41:18 AM »

I know there are much higher end machines (and more expensive machines), but it's good for what I sew.

My Janome is also a very basic model, but even though I sew a lot, I really don't need any fancy stitches or extra bells and whistles. And the less fancy features a machine has, the less there is to break down! I love the fact that the Indigo 14 is completely mechanic and if anything goes wrong with it, it'll be easy (and therefore cheap) to fix.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007 09:08:44 AM »

I absolutely LOVE my Janome!
I bought the lowest end model when I was 14 (so 5 years ago) and love love loved it. Even the base model has a lot of really nice features. The only time I ever had problems was when I threaded the bobbin wrong, but that was my own stupidity. The stitches are really nice and even, and the machine it's self is really sturdy. I put that thing through some misery, sewing denim and paper (!!!) and it never had a problem.
But then, when I was a senior in high school, I won a brand new $800 dollar Janome DC3050 from the sewing machine store!
So I'm all about Janomes. My new one has an automatic needle threader which is probably the best invention ever. The new one has a bunch of fun novelty stitches (hearts and checkers and all that stuff) and has a little digital screen to show the stitch length and width.
So basically, in my experience you really can't go wrong with a Janome. Where I got mine from, my machines have a really good waranty (which I've never had to use) and everything the salesman told me has turned out to be true.

this sounds exactly like my machine. and i love it.. i do wish i had gotten one without the electric screen doodad because it is going to need maintenance eventually. but boy ohboy do i love my gnomey (thats my name given to my janome)  im very happy with my purchase
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007 06:14:57 PM »

I'm too late to say "go for it" since you already did!

I have a Janome 419S.  It's pretty basic and it has been very useful and low maintenance.  And I have a sewing business, so it gets used OFTEN.

I love it so much I bought a Janome embroidery machine, the MC300E, and a Janome serger.

I'll be sticking with Janomes.  I hope to trade up my 419S in the next 6 months for something with more decorative stitches.

You'll enjoy yours for a long, long time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
Neveth
Rated PG-13 for language and mild peril.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007 12:14:36 PM »

Hey - I know this is an old thread, but I'm really clueless as to what I'm doing here - I'm having utter trouble finding out what kind of bobbins I need for my Janome 525s... Does anyone know anything? They told me at the store to only buy Janome bobbins, but that store is kind of a drive away, and none of the local stores carry Janome brand bobbins... Someone elarlier said her Brother feet worked perfectly with her janome machine, so would Janome bobbins work? *is SO confused*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007 03:50:13 PM »

i just use ordinary ones from fabricland the metal ones with like 6(give or take) holes in them... they seem to work just fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neveth
Rated PG-13 for language and mild peril.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007 07:27:08 AM »

hokay, awesome!

please forgive the typos and such in my last post - I had my wisdom teeth out and am still kinda drugged up from it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007 04:54:11 AM »

The Janome I bought from Sears came with a metal bobbin, if that helps. I went to the local Janome store to buy feet (mine was on clearance and only came with a zig zag foot), and bought some bobbins while I was there, but I use the better metal ones from my Kenmore from time to time, too (some of mine are kind of bent up). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Caramel
How to Make French Macarons
How to Make Lemon Curd
How to Make an Easy Key Lime Pie
Create Cookie Icings and Glazes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...