A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
318 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Possibly getting a new Janome sewing machine, need advice & opinions!  (Read 3078 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« on: January 10, 2007 12:43:48 PM »

OK, here's the deal; my parents promised to buy me either a brand new machine (or to pay for my old one -a 15+ year old Brother- to be serviced) as a Christmas present.
So I went to have a look at some sewing machines yesterday and fell for a brand new Janome. Unfortunately for the life of me I can't remember the model of the machine as I was so enamoured by how nicely it sewed, but after a quick Google, I think it's closest to the Type610 (http://www.janome.co.jp/home/type610.html). Having never actually used a Janome before I'd like to hear about your experiences with the machines. Good points? Bad points? Anything you can tell me about working with Janomes will be helpful really. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShiningStar
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007 09:11:41 PM »

I keep reading good things about Janome.  I did a search here on Craftster and on What The Craft there are far more positive than negative points than negative.  When I'm ready I'm thinking of getting a Janome.  Let us know what you decide.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are  --John Wooden
Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007 02:08:54 AM »

I've been reading up on Janomes too and so far pretty much everyone has only had good things to say about them. So maybe the seller was right to praise them so, and it's not only his pitch to get more stuff sold. Cheesy

I'll be going back to the shop soon, and I'll keep you all updated on what I end up with & how I like it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShiningStar
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007 08:42:16 AM »

LOL Grin!  It seems as though the seller is being honest.  There are so many good reviews for this brand.  The model you are thinking about is cute.  I'll have to check out on the US site because I can't read Japanese.  I wish I was good at other languages though.

What about this model appeals to you?  I actually looked at the US site yesterday but there were so many machines to choose from?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are  --John Wooden
Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007 09:06:42 AM »

LOL Grin!  It seems as though the seller is being honest.  There are so many good reviews for this brand.  The model you are thinking about is cute.  I'll have to check out on the US site because I can't read Japanese.  I wish I was good at other languages though.

What about this model appeals to you?  I actually looked at the US site yesterday but there were so many machines to choose from?

I can't read japanese either, but I have a friend who's fluent in it so I can get a more reliable translation than the poop that Babelfish brings up (I mean, what on earth is "You open the head and close the cleaning door of freedom" supposed to mean!).

I like this particular model because it's so simple. I don't need any special stitches, just the basic straight and zig-zags will do me fine, but I do need a machine that can withstand heavy use and still stitch nicely. While the machine is plastic on the outside, everything inside is metal and thus it'll stand up to what ever I may throw at it. It's also very simple to use and since it's completely mechanic it won't break down as easy as an electronic machine would. It also takes all standard needles and bobbins, so I won't have to search all over for that elusive bobbin type should one get lost or break (which is what I have to do now with my old machine).
The machine has a full 5 year guarantee & free yearly cleaning and tune up. The seller also said he'll throw in a handful of metal bobbins (I expressed my dislike for plastic ones) to sweeten the deal. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShiningStar
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007 10:35:59 AM »

That translation was so funny.  Sounds more like a secret code.  Sometimes Jay Leno on Tonight Show will read Chinese to English Translations on products.  Translations make no sense at all.

As far as the sewing machine goes you have given me something to think about.  A machine that's basic but can stitch heavy fabric and still stitch smoothly sounds like something I should look for.

In my research people have brought out things that I wouldn't have thought about like you want something that can sew denim but it should also sew sheer fabrics smoothly as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007 10:53:28 AM »

Yup, it's good to have a machine that can tackle both the thoughest of denim and the finest of silks. And unless you're going to really truly need a lot of fancy stitches all the time you're best off getting a basic hard working machine that'll last you a lifetime. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007 07:38:04 PM »

I absolutely LOVE my Janome!
I bought the lowest end model when I was 14 (so 5 years ago) and love love loved it. Even the base model has a lot of really nice features. The only time I ever had problems was when I threaded the bobbin wrong, but that was my own stupidity. The stitches are really nice and even, and the machine it's self is really sturdy. I put that thing through some misery, sewing denim and paper (!!!) and it never had a problem.
But then, when I was a senior in high school, I won a brand new $800 dollar Janome DC3050 from the sewing machine store!
So I'm all about Janomes. My new one has an automatic needle threader which is probably the best invention ever. The new one has a bunch of fun novelty stitches (hearts and checkers and all that stuff) and has a little digital screen to show the stitch length and width.
So basically, in my experience you really can't go wrong with a Janome. Where I got mine from, my machines have a really good waranty (which I've never had to use) and everything the salesman told me has turned out to be true.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ohthatashley.blogspot.com
I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007 06:32:01 AM »

I finally got over myself and bought the Janome!

It's an Indigo 14 (now I finally know the model!) and having fiddled with it for nearly an hour, trying out all the stitches and things, I'm happy to say that I love it! It's very easy to use and it does everything I need it to, and does it ever so smoothly too. As an added bonus the feet of the Janome are completely interchangable with my old Brother's feet! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mmd32
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007 06:41:13 AM »

Well, I guess you don't need another opinion anymore, but I'll give it to you anyway! Tongue I bought a bottom-line Kenmore, the one made by Janome, years ago, and have used the life out of it, and it's still going strong, now have a Janome QE Something or other, absolutely love it, and now just bought a Janome MyLock 744D, which I haven't tried yet, but have only heard good things about, too.

I'm all about the Janomes, lol. I got two of my friends buying the identical Kenmore I had, but a later model, and they both love love love them, as well. No regrets, ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Personalized Fish-Themed Invitation
How to Make a Forest Diorama
How to Create a String Spiderweb
How to Make Customized Mouse Pads
How to Create Plaster Bones for Halloween
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...