A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Parade of Hats!!! (Tut on SCRAWl. New info on button holes and buttons.)  (Read 3874 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

UniAmigurumi
« on: January 09, 2007 07:20:31 PM »

Hello everyone. Yet another long time lurker new poster comes out of the yarn stash. I was first introduced to crochet through my now long time friend Mr. Uni. A gift from my mother. He's some 30 years old so be nice. Last January i decided it was about time i learn how to crochet. My lovely aunt taught me single crochet. I don't know anything else but single crochet, but I'm inventive. Now, on to my scant little parade of hats. But first...the incomparable...Mr. Uni.
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/84385Photo_32.jpg
blue cherry blossom pompom hat.

Miss. Bun bun hat.
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/84385Photo_6.jpg
Introducing the scrawl. Basically a very long scarf with buttons and button loops.
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/84385Photo_12.jpg
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/84385Photo_8.jpg
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/84385Photo_13.jpg
So many ways to wear it.
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/84385Photo_19.jpg

NEW: I used two skeins of Red Heart. It's a big scrawl.

Okay heres my best interpretation of what the scrawl is. I made the scrawl with no patten. (can't read them) currently its a one of a kind from my brain. The scrawl is about eight feet long 10 inches wide. The outer edge of the scrawl is one row single crochet, then 9 rows double crochet ( i guess thats what it is called).

After the first 10 rows there are 5 rows of I'm guessing its called triple crochet with a space after every stitch.( NEW make sure to chain a space between each tripple crochet to make up for the skip) Next 5 more rows of double crochet. The last row is single crochet half way down the scarfs length then simple button loops every 5 stitches. So 5 single crochet then a 5 stitch button loop. (get the picture?)

NEW: Yes the buttons are just single crochet 5, chain 5, single crochet 5, chain 5.

The buttons on my scrawl are simple crochet buttons. If you want to know how to make the buttons just prompt me to and ill tell you how i do mine. But the finished product on my scrawl has 10. You can attach as many buttons as you have button loops on the other side of the scarf though... and thats how you make a scrawl. the ends of my scrawl are simple done in some 5 inch finge.

New: Okay this is going to be kind of complex so I'm not going to take an short cuts with abreviations or any of that jazz. chain stitch 2. Slip stitch your first single crochet into the first chain stitch. Now in the middle of that 2 chain ring. Single crochet 6 stitches.( Not into the 2 chain stitches but into the middle of the ring.) Into each of the 6 stitched work two more stitches on your next round. Now work 12 stitches into thouse 12. Next work every two stitches together so you only have 6. Work the 6 stitches together again so you have 3 then crochet two of the three together. Work the tail through the 3rd stitch and leave the tail quite long. weave the head tail inside the button ball but leave the tail to sew the button to the scrawl.

NOTES on button :If you are the first to attpt this button pattern please post a note with your results ASAP if the first one dosn't turn out. I wan't to be 100% sure that this explains the correct way to do  it and there arn't any instances i am missing key factors.

Questions and comments are appreciated. I'd also love to see your own versions and ideas on how you might wear the scrawl.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012 02:15:32 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ingysoup
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007 07:27:56 PM »

Mr Uni Love here! 

Hey, me thinks you know more than SC, 'cause that's some great stuff there!  Whatever, it's great, and congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xfoxglove
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007 08:17:37 PM »

I'm jealous of your skill.  I love all of this, but mostly the 'scrawl'.  It's kind of like the hood scarf, but even more versatile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/xfoxglove
Stitch It Black
Bears... Beets... Battlestar Galactica

Oh how time flies when you're daydreaming...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007 11:54:12 PM »

I LOVE that blue headwrap/scarf thing you made, its beautiful! Can I have it??? lol. Awesome work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We never know how high we are
Till we are called to rise;
And then, if we are true to plan,
Our statures touch the skies. - Emily Dickinson
UniAmigurumi
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007 01:29:06 AM »

I LOVE that blue headwrap/scarf thing you made, its beautiful! Can I have it??? lol. Awesome work!!

I'm sure you could make one just as cool. All you need is a really long open weave scarf and lots o' buttons. That one is for my mum. She lives cross country so i swap pretty things i make for things she makes.=]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scribble
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007 01:35:45 AM »

Hello Mr. Uni and keeper. I like your eyebrows. They make you look very distinguished.

How does your blossom hat work? Is that a tie on top, with pompoms?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

UniAmigurumi
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007 04:11:37 AM »

Hello Mr. Uni and keeper. I like your eyebrows. They make you look very distinguished.

How does your blossom hat work? Is that a tie on top, with pompoms?

The blossom hat is basicly a tube with the top closed and two twists attatched, one at each corner. The twist strands are about a foot long each and have the pom poms at the ends. In the picture they ar tied in a bow. I supose you could leave them down too though. It makes the cutest cat ears when they are untied.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007 09:39:06 AM »

well, that's just about the best scarf i've ever seen! did you have a pattern for that or make it up yourself. wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007 12:02:52 PM »

i think i need to make a mr. uni.  i don't suppose your mom still remembers what the pattern was?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
UniAmigurumi
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007 03:15:00 PM »

well, that's just about the best scarf i've ever seen! did you have a pattern for that or make it up yourself. wonderful!

I made up the pattern for the scarf in my head. I'm not big on things like math... or directions... or.....copying things... etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Determine Your Skin Type
Why You Should Buy Korean Beauty Products
Foods That Are Aging Your Skin
Star Magazine’s Spring Beauty Forecast
Strong Smokey Eyes at the Nicole Miller F/W 2014 Show
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...