A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,119
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidered portrait of The Twins  (Read 12693 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RedStitch
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2004 04:44:36 PM »

I am sure, you hated those questions....  Grin  Your idea is greate! And the portrait looks exactly like the original. You, girls, were cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carlyleech
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2004 09:09:44 PM »

Carolyn... can I ask how long it took you to finish it?  I really want to do a big portrait of Frida Kahlo, but I've been putting it off because it seems so overwhelming!  I'm afraid it will take me almost as long to draw the portrait as it will to embroider it!  I want to try though... I will probably start it over my winter break from school...  your tips were very helpful!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A grass-blade's no easier to make than an oak."
                  -James Russell Lowell
The Meow Wont Purr
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Valerian Aquarian

All Is Full Of Love

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2004 11:28:33 AM »

Carolyn! I wanted to chime in and say, you did such a fantastic job. I'm inspired!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To be matter of fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy -- and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful." --Robert A. Heinlein
carolynjane
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2004 03:22:45 PM »

Carolyn... can I ask how long it took you to finish it?  I really want to do a big portrait of Frida Kahlo, but I've been putting it off because it seems so overwhelming!  I'm afraid it will take me almost as long to draw the portrait as it will to embroider it!  I want to try though... I will probably start it over my winter break from school...  your tips were very helpful!   Smiley

The actual stitching took maybe 1-2 months working mostly on weekends when I had time and in the evenings after work. I was also working on a set of embroidered kitchen towels at the same time so it's hard to say how many hours I actually spent stitching away. I did the eyes and then ripped the stitches out several times because I was not happy with the way they looked. One thing that slowed me down was trying to decide how to finish or fill in the background after I had completed the portraits, small images and text. Next time, I plan to decide that before I start stitching -- although, who knows, maybe the portrait itself when it's done sort of helps guide you as to how to fill in the background.

I look forward to seeing your project when it's completed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is just one grand sweet song, so start the music."
lucytortilla
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2005 05:37:30 PM »

So fabulous.It made me smile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meowsley

Meow....I'm one stitchin' kitten!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2005 11:31:10 AM »

I used 100% cotton unbleached muslin fabric and I DOUBLED the fabric so that all my knots and stray threads would not show through to the front. The next time, I may try using some tear-away backing as well. (Using double fabric did not present any problem when I started embroidering.)

I'm sorry to add to the questions....BUT Smiley How did you double the fabric? Did you stitch the sides to make sure they stayed together? Also - what size fabric did you use?

I'm hoping to use your answers to stitch a portrait of my Mom. Your work is so pretty!

Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No Cookies No Peace!!
Monsters aren't Pansies!!
stargirl52
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2005 11:43:25 AM »

Wow. That is sooooooo beautiful. I agree with abinka there *not that i watch antiques roadshow or anything  Undecided *. I can imagine them saying "yes, this is a beautiful 2004 piece, hanstitched *prattles on*..."
Awesome.
-G.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your lungs to stop working without me.

http://georgianess.livejournal.com
carolynjane
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2005 01:24:39 PM »

I'm sorry to add to the questions....BUT Smiley How did you double the fabric? Did you stitch the sides to make sure they stayed together? Also - what size fabric did you use?

I'm hoping to use your answers to stitch a portrait of my Mom. Your work is so pretty!

Lisa

Sorry to be so late in responding. I was traveling out of town on business all of last week.

Thanks for your kind words. I studied Jenny Hart's embroidered portraits over and over and over to see how she created her sublime portraits.

I doubled the muslin fabric by just folding it over. But before folding it over, I used my sewing machine to fold over and stitch maybe a half inch hem all the way around. I did this to prevent the edges from fraying as I stitched. The finished size is 18" X 18" so I think the unfinished, hemmed edges probably make it 20 x 20. Sooo, you could fold over a 40 x 20 inch piece of fabric OR just cut out two 20 x 20 inch pieces of fabric. It's better to have extra fabric to cut off after you are finished than to discover that you do not have enough when you're done!

I did not sew or secure the folder over fabric together. I just put it in the hoop and started stitching. The hoop will hold the pieces together securely until your stitching takes over.

Hope the above instructions make sense.  Smiley If not, let me know if you have any further questions.

Again, thanks for your feedback.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is just one grand sweet song, so start the music."
Lorin

live fast, die pretty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2005 05:43:59 PM »

fantastic! so much detail!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_Lorin
miss_katonic
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2005 05:37:33 AM »

That is so beautiful! How are you planning on displaying it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dramatic Reads: Chris Roberson
Dramatic Reads: Ian Brill
Dramatic Reads: Chris Sebella
Dramatic Reads: Christopher Hastings
Dramatic Reads: Ryan North
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...