A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 301,533
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2 Quilts From Old Jeans And Flannel Shirts  (Read 28766 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 05, 2004 08:30:39 AM »

* Update* I found this tute surfing, it has pictures and everything. This is exactly the way I made my frayed quilt, except I didnt machine embroider it or use batting.  http://sewing.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geocities.com%2F%7Esewntell%2Fprojectlist.html
My family live in jeans, so I always have tons of old jeans. I like to cut them up and make camp blankets with them, they are made with 6 1/2 inch squares and half inch seam allowances. The frayed one is super easy to make and I like how it looks frayed, they are lap quilt size, they are super heavy though and can be a challenge to sewing machine needles. My husband has one as well but I made it 15 yrs ago so its pretty ratty ( he won't let me make a new one, cause he says its broke in perfect ).

Front of the easy frayed quilt, notice I used the leg seams of the jeans for some of the patches, I dind't use any kind of design just grabbed a square and sewed, this can be made bigger really easy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/dyabolica/satchets044.jpg
back of the frayed quilt, my sons old flannel shirts, he loves his blankie and uses it instead of a comforter.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/dyabolica/satchets046.jpg
my daughters blankie, she uses it instead of her fancy comforter too.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/dyabolica/satchets048.jpg
Neither one has batting in it because they are heavy enough w/o them, I have made around 20 of these type of quilts for gifts, people love them. I also have made several as a fundraiser for my sons football team, the last one raffled made 357 bucks! I should tell you though not to wash your frayed quilt the 1st time in you home washer, the massive amountof thread and lint it releases the 1st time can plug up your plumbing. Take it to a laundry mat instead.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011 12:26:03 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
flyingfish
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004 09:30:48 AM »

Your quilts are lovely and a great way to reuse old clothes--
you should check out this link

http://www.kentuckyarts.org/exhibits/GeesBend/Gees_Bend_Quilts.htm

I saw these quilts on exhibit here in Milwaukee and they blew me away. There was one of all the women's husbands overalls and you could see the life in them, where they were worn out, spilled on....

These quilts should be viewed by all!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flying Fish Design... ))    -:|:-
                              .  .))
                             ((.   ..    -:|:-  www.flyingfishgallery.com
                             -:|:-      ((.*
marnewein
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004 09:46:57 AM »

Fabulous work!  A friend of mine inspired me years ago to save up all of my denim for this purpose, she had the most amazing denim patchwork quilt.  One of these days I will get the time to make it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

butterflymary
The Dominatrix of Craft

I Bitch, Therefore I Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004 05:56:02 AM »

I've been saving all my husband's denim for the longest time. He's always worked a labor job from grave digger to excavator and he wears out his levi's so fast. I save them in a box to patch up holes in the ones he can still wear. But now that I have an over abundance of his denim (some of mine and my son's, too) I think I will try this.

The denim and flannel one, tho, i have a question. How? It looks as if the flannel is peeping through on the frayed side. How'd you do that?

Bea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now get craftin'!
dyabolica

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004 10:01:17 AM »

I've been saving all my husband's denim for the longest time. He's always worked a labor job from grave digger to excavator and he wears out his levi's so fast. I save them in a box to patch up holes in the ones he can still wear. But now that I have an over abundance of his denim (some of mine and my son's, too) I think I will try this.

The denim and flannel one, tho, i have a question. How? It looks as if the flannel is peeping through on the frayed side. How'd you do that?

Bea

http://piecefulacrepatterns.com/Too%20e-z%20denim%20quilt.htm
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004 06:58:42 AM by dyabolica » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
second-hand-smoke
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004 10:24:15 AM »

i tired fixing the link for you but to no avail. it may be some glitch in the updates leah is working on right now. for anybody that is interested go to www pieceful acres dot com and then clicking on the link for free patterns. the quilt instuctions are right there.  (i'm not typing the actual link again as the software just mangles it right now) or the way i did it:  by doing a google on piecefulacres patterns and clicking from that. great quilt dyabolica. i'm totally inspired. am kicking myself for selling all my old jeans in our summer garage sale!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

second hand smoke: Recycle-Remix-Refresh
http://secondhandsmoke-stuff.com
dyabolica

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004 11:10:40 AM »

i tired fixing the link for you but to no avail. it may be some glitch in the updates leah is working on right now. for anybody that is interested go to www pieceful acres dot com and then clicking on the link for free patterns. the quilt instuctions are right there.  (i'm not typing the actual link again as the software just mangles it right now) or the way i did it:  by doing a google on piecefulacres patterns and clicking from that. great quilt dyabolica. i'm totally inspired. am kicking myself for selling all my old jeans in our summer garage sale!!

Thanks shs for explaining why I couldn't get the link to work no matter what I did, I thought it was me lol.
Just let your relatives and friends know you need old jeans, youd be surprised how many people have old ones. I also have gotten them at yard sales for like 50 cents a pair, and if you let some thrift stores know your interested in jeans with broken zippers, holes, out of fashion etc. alot of time they will sell them to you for like a quarter a pair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

second-hand-smoke
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004 01:42:06 PM »

I also have gotten them at yard sales for like 50 cents a pair

i am giggling hard now! that is exactly what i sold my jeans for at our yard sale - hence the reason i now have no jeans. it's really ironic to think i will now be scouring other people's yard sales looking for 50 cent jeans!!  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nekussa

Who invented liquid soap and why?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004 06:59:23 PM »

I'm hoping to make one of these for my boyfriend's mom for Christmas. They're having a "blue" themed Christmas and I thought this would be great. I was also thinking of making a purse out of denim squares...I'll keep you updated on how those turn out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
second-hand-smoke
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004 02:40:44 PM »

i bought a pair of jeans for my daughter at the thrift this weekend and they turned out to be too small. i was trying to figure out how to put them to good use when i remembered this thread, so i am finally starting on a jeans blanket of my own (tho my boyfriend is eyeballing it so maybe it will end up being a xmas present). so far it's really cute and i'm very excited to have it finished. the only thing is i don't have any flannel shirts to use for the back so i am thinking i will have to quilt it to a backing after i get it done. i am thinking polarfleece - just cut a piece big enough to back the quilt and stitch down the seams of the denim. ... does this sound like it will work? have you used other things to back your other ones? any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Understanding Symmetry in Architecture
How to Draw a Perspective
How to Handle PDF Files with PitStop Pro 09
How to Draw an Architectural Detail
How to Draw an Architectural Wall Section
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...