A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Non-gender typed baby boy stuff  (Read 3941 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Muria
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007 11:55:22 AM »

I'm presuming you mean an island theme, which sounds fun!  Has she seen this one:
http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/k5109/index.cfm?pkey=cbdgnbd%7Cb&cm%5Fsrc=campaign

Also, tell her to check out www.babyaloha.com . www.bungalowbeachde signs.com or www.surfsidebaby.co m . I found them while doing an internet search for "island baby bedding" so I don't know anything about their stores, but they all have a lot of fabric options.  I think your dolphin blanket is going to be awesome, too!

Hope all the tests come back with good results!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007 04:57:53 PM by Muria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
vylentviolet
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007 12:43:40 PM »

Wow, the stuff at the Bungalow Beach Designs site is especially gorgeous! I wouldn't mind having it for myself, hehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://airrikka.etsy.com

personal swapper!!!
raggamuffinchild
Raggamuffin Child

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007 03:44:33 PM »

I think underwater reef or rainforest themes are pretty gender neutral.  There are a lot of opportunities for cute animals.  Plus both are incredibly colorful and babies respond better to bright contrasting colors than to traditional baby pastels.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missfire
Give me an hour and I'll give you your dream...

Fire in the hole!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007 09:07:09 PM »

We didn't know what we were having until my daughter was born, so we had to be neutral. That said, I love that we went with an "undersea" theme. It's easy to find stuff, and easy to make, too, and the stuff is every different color scheme from primary to pastels.

Here's a picture of the wallhanging I made for her (it, at the time.) I made it out of a 24"x36" floor cloth, dowel rod, decorative end thingies and ribbon. Oh, and paint. And little  dried starfish hot glued on. I'm really proud of it, and it was SOOOO easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Know why chicken coops have 2 doors?

If they had 4 doors they'd be chicken sedans.
SewMuch4Kids

My Reality Check bounced.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007 07:56:08 AM »

I love love love this.

Could you possible do a little tutorial or maybe just some instructions?
I haven't really painted on fabric.

Congrats on your baby girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
missfire
Give me an hour and I'll give you your dream...

Fire in the hole!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007 10:29:51 PM »

Thanks! Ummm... it was really simple. I use acrylic paints, mostly because they're cheap. And foam brushes for the same reason (but just for the big stuff) I painted the cloth first, it was a floor cloth bought at Michael's and it came in a tube. One side was already primed. So you just paint what you want on it (in my case the stripes and oval) and then I cut the bottom into scallops. Then hot glue the top around a dowel that you've already painted and glued end stoppers on, and add coordinating ribbon to hang with. I've since added a bow to the top, too, I had forgotten about it at first. For the words I print from my computer and use xfer paper. I wish I had calligraphy skills. I've also made a few for gifts (smaller stretched canvases with initials) and they're a HUGE hit. Super easy and fun. HTH!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Know why chicken coops have 2 doors?

If they had 4 doors they'd be chicken sedans.
marisal
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007 06:20:49 PM »

I have one boy outside of the womb and one in. For the first we kind of went loopy (when I say "we" i really mean "i") with blue & green because i love them! we also got bedding from target, some circus green thing that i still think is cute. my son, btw, loves safari animals and there is a great fabric called Zoo that i made a pillow case out of for him. wacky animals are a great gender neutral/boyish thing... some crocodiles or zebras or lions... as funky as you want them.
now that i'm preggers with my second boy, i am making my own quilt for him inspired by some of the bedding i saw at www.rockinbabysling .com... the center is going to be an amy butler wallpaper fabric, with blue and brown border with orange scrolly border and a brown minky flipside. i'm very excited about the unusual color scheme that doesn't include much blue at all.
point is: look at some unusual baby sites and find something you think is cool and make it yourself.
good luck!
marisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jitka
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007 07:59:40 AM »

How about dinosaurs? I am not sure if that's stereotypical for boys' attire but I know girls who wear dinosaurs  Wink Plus, it's educational ....yup, I am a teacher  Cheesy
There are so many cute fabrics that have teeny weeny dinos on it, I almost got some for my self, would be perfect onesies (was flannel) and/or PJ ...and/ or anything else you can manage to make Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisabee
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2007 01:44:16 PM »

everybody has really great ideas for neutral themes, going back to the in-law issue, if you tell them the theme when you tell them the gender it might cut down on the sports stuff, or tell them the theme you're going for and then a week or so later tell them the gender.  Although if they are huge sports buffs it might not matter.  I personally love the Classic Pooh and Tigger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RougeRaven
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007 07:17:16 AM »

I agree with the whole " Let's not sterotype the poor child to death" thing. Maybe a stars, moons and planets thing? That should be fairly easy to find, and who doesnt like space? I'm thinking more along the lines of "Sand Man" than " Buzz Lightyear".
Theres a cool post about a similar themed birthday party here:http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=143374.0

I love the idea of pale blue with soft yellow, stars and moons =) so freakin cute! or maybe counting sheep?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Twist-N-Roll Tweezer Review
Watch Us Try Oil Pulling
How to Minimize the Look of Pores
Males Doing Nails with Sophy Robson
Beauty from Around the World: Bubzbeauty
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...