A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,500
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My mother is a goddess, but I need help!  (Read 1211 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

marimbachick
High Priestess of the Temple of Sexiness

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2007 08:32:48 PM »

So, my mother presented me with a wonderful surprise over Christmas.  She gave me six balls of Pingouin wool (I think it's called File' de laine, which I think is french for wool thread, so yarn.) in a delicious colorway full of teals and olive greens.

She bought this yarn while in Paris on her 10th anniversary with my dad, which makes this particular batch 21 years old!  Shocked

She has asked me to make her something with it, but I am scared sh*tless to screw up with this gorgeous yarn.  I want to make something beautiful and heirloom-quality and give it to her for Mother's Day or her birthday (June, so I have plenty of time for it!).

The yarn label says it's "chunky", but it definitely looks more like worsted or aran to me, and suggested needles are US 6-7.  I have six balls, each with 153 yards, so about 900 yards to work with.  I'm comfortable with cables and stitch patterns, and would rate myself a advanced intermediate level knitter, but I haven't done a lot of lace so I can't say for sure what level I'm at in that respect.

I don't think a sweater would be right, since I can't say her size for sure (and she's losing weight, so who knows where she'll be when I finish it).  I want to go for a wrap, or possibly an afghan, but I want something that will be timeless and classy.  She also doesn't dress up most of the time, so I think an afghan is probably my best bet.

Nevertheless, I am really psyched for my first major project of the new year, and would welcome any advice you guys have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We need the Falkland Islands...for strategic sheep purposes."
knightswhosayknit
Veni, Vidi, Texui

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007 01:13:13 AM »

An afghan sounds great, and appropriately heirloom-ish. Will the 6 balls be enough for an afghan, though? How big are they? If it's not enough for an afghan, I'd say a shawl, either a pretty, elegant one or a big, cozy, mini-afghan one.

If the colorway of the yarn is on the complicated side/something you really want to show off, try to keep the stitch pattern simple. I know I always want to show off my knitting skills in things I make as gifts, but some yarns are better just speaking for themselves. Maybe a few simple cables, but keep it on the simple side, I'd say.

Good luck, you'll make something gorgeous with it, I'm sure. Can you post pictures of the yarn?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone on Ravelry? My username is Caitlism, friend me!
NLJ
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007 05:34:31 AM »

I've always wanted to make this scarf:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3520331,00.html

I think it would make a beautiful gift for your mom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kell
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007 06:02:15 AM »

A gorgeous lace shawl might be nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Him: I think we've been on the same page for a while now.
Me: What if we're on the same page, but in different books?

myspace
  swap info
ysolda
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007 06:33:48 AM »

Admittedly I'm not a huge fan of 'chunky' lace, but how about entrelac. It looks impressive, would allow you to basically make a rectangle using all your yarn that could be a wrap, an afghan, throw or lap blanket depending on the size it ends up. Whatever you call it pretty, cosy, rectangles or knitting are always nice and useful. Entrelac can show off variegated yarns really well without being too busy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
marimbachick
High Priestess of the Temple of Sexiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007 07:29:29 AM »

Entrelac can show off variegated yarns really well without being too busy.
Ooh, I hadn't thought of entrelac.  I might have to swatch it up and see how it looks.  Perhaps Lady Eleanor, though I don't have the book it's from.

Good luck, you'll make something gorgeous with it, I'm sure. Can you post pictures of the yarn?  Wink
I'll get on that today.  It's delicious, and I really want to share it with you guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We need the Falkland Islands...for strategic sheep purposes."
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007 07:39:22 AM »

I vote clapotis. The weight and yardage will work out well, the colorway will be stunning, and the pattern itself is French-inspired.
Original specs here:
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTclapotis.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AWynkoop
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007 02:47:33 PM »

I second the clapotis! My MIL loved hers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
elijor
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007 03:00:44 PM »

Perhaps Lady Eleanor, though I don't have the book it's from.

There are some links to entrelac on this thread

Also here is a beautiful example done in SWS from the completed projects board. She used Knitty's Danica pattern. Just add to it is you want it wider.

Although that is a lovely book if you are a book person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysolda
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007 03:54:58 PM »

this might help you figure out how to make an entrelac piece to the measurements you want:
http://lupinbunny.blogspot.com/2007/01/baby-e-noro-entrelac-scarf.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Long Exposure Photography
Camera Pixel Resolution
How to Take Self-Portraits
HDR Photography Advice
Photography Lighting Advice
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...