A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Last minute Christmas gift. ***Now with Tutorial added****  (Read 4688 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sharonan
« on: January 08, 2007 07:13:38 PM »

When I saw the small bag in this ad, I thought of the tutorial here called "Classy pleated iridescent clutch"

I made this bag for my sister for Christmas based on the inspirations.  

The stiffening I used was artist canvas that had been coated with Gesso...it was great to work with - easy to cut and stitch.

***Handbag Tutorial****

Materials:
Fabric for Bag
Lining
Interfacing (I used artists canvas that was Gesso covered)
Zipper for inside pockets
Magnetic snap
Handle hardware hooks and D-rings
Decorative buttons
Chain and Charms 

Cut a rectangular piece for body of the bag.  The width of the piece will be the width of the bag plus seam allowance (my bag was about 9 inches wide) and the length of the piece is twice the height of the bag.  I cut a piece about 11 inches long and then trimmed off the excess during assembly once I determined the height I wanted. 

Fold four deep pleats in each end of the length of the piece.  Ensure that the pleats are even.  Baste across. 

Fold in half with right sides together.  Sew side seams.  You may want to curve the seam toward the fold. 

Using the bag body as a pattern, cut lining and interfacing.  (Because of the deep pleats on the outer bag, I chose to make the lining and interfacing different than the outer bag.)

Sew the bottom of the Interfacing and then open the seam and press and the stitch each side down.  Then sew up the side seams. 

Make pockets in lining with or without zippers.  Remember to sew in your label if you have one. 
Sew lining together with right sides together. 

Put the lining inside the interfacing and then inside the bag and check for proportions. Make any adjustments to the height.  Cut the interfacing down to the exact height of the bag.  Cut the outer body and lining to allow a seam allowance for finishing the top of the body. 

Flap:
Make a paper pattern for the flap and test it on the bag.  Find the centre of the front of the bag a look for markings that need to aligned (e.g. stripes).   Determine the length of the flap to be attached to the back of the outer body allow for additional length once the bag has contents.  Cut two of fabric remember seam allowance.  Cut one piece of interfacing without seam allowance.    Sew the fabric pieces with right sides together and turn and press.  Insert the interfacing. 
Make the tab for the flap:  Cut a piece of interfacing the width of the tab and about 2 inches longer than the flap.  Round the tip.  Cut 2 pieces of fabric with seam allowance.  Attach the male side of the snap to one piece of the tab plus the interfacing through the interfacing.  With right sides of the tab fabric together, sew the side seams, using the interfacing as a guide.  Turn. 
Attach the tab to the flap using topstitching through all thicknesses.   Finish the back edge of the flap.  I used a piece of double folded bias tape, but could have turned the edges in and hand sewn along.  Take the lining and interfacing out of the bag body.  Attach the flap to the body of the bag and reinforce the stitching. Check the placement of the female side of the snap and attach.  I used a scrap piece of interfacing behind for reinforcement. 

Reinsert the Interfacing and Lining and finish the top edge.

Make the Handle.  Cut interfacing the desired length of the handle plus an allowance for folding over the hardware.  The width of the D rings.  Cut the fabric twice the width of the interfacing plus a seam allowance.  Make the centre seam and turn.  Insert the interfacing.  Top stitch the sides of the handle to keep the interfacing in place.  Finish the ends.  Attach the hardware to each end. 

Make a tab for the D- rings using the fabric.  If your fabric is sturdy interfacing may be unnecessary.  Attach to bag body and stitch securely. 

Attach your decorations.  I used a series of similar metal buttons.  The dangle was made from varying lengths of chain with charms on each end (from Walmart).  I used a ring to loop them together.  I made a small tab from fabric and sewed the tab to the flap and attached a button on top. 

Whew sounds like a lot of steps but it was actually very quickly made. (This tutorial took longer to make!!)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007 06:33:49 PM by sharonan » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane2
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007 07:46:11 PM »

I haven't the faintest idea of what you are talking about - artist canvas, Gesso - and I have never seen the clutch tutorial you're talking about ... but I'm very, very, very jealous of your sister!

Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScissorSister7
Do you need a cute purse to go with that outfit?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007 07:46:52 AM »

This is an awesome purse!  I just love it.  Okay I'm gushing but really I do love it.  I love all the buttons and tassle you added.  It makes it so unique.  And has style but it is not cluttered looking.  You did such a GREAT job!  Smiley

I haven't the faintest idea of what you are talking about - artist canvas, Gesso - and I have never seen the clutch tutorial you're talking about ... but I'm very, very, very jealous of your sister!

Great work!

Here's the tutorial for the classy iredescent clutch:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=24610.0

It is a great purse too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join my yahoo group Always Sewn With Love to purchase fabrics at or near wholesale prices

I'm interested in personal swaps -- I love bracelets & necklaces and I don't know how to make them.
sharonan
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007 09:02:16 AM »

Thanks ScissorSister - I was pleased with the tassle - bought a bag of charms and a length of chain at Walmart.  (Total investment - $2.00) Used a chain loop from my ChainMaille stash at the top and then made a tab of fabric to sew to the purse flap and sewed a button on top.  Sounds like lots of steps but didn't take more than 1/2 an hour.  I attached it to the flap - maybe Louis Vuitton thinks that dangly things look great - but I can't imagine carrying a bag with things hanging from the bottom and not getting them caught on everything. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScissorSister7

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007 01:26:35 PM »

Sharonan,  any chance we can talk you into a tutorial on this one.  It is really neat and I would love to make one like that for myself.  I never sew for myself so it would be a huge treat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join my yahoo group Always Sewn With Love to purchase fabrics at or near wholesale prices

I'm interested in personal swaps -- I love bracelets & necklaces and I don't know how to make them.
sharonan
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007 06:34:18 AM »

I'll put one together - my first tutorial!...might take a day or so.  Very flattered!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScissorSister7

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007 05:23:27 PM »

Oh cool! Smiley  I'd love to see a tutorial.  This is such a cute bag.  I'm working on a tutorial right now and it is my first also.  Tutorials are hard work, huh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Frizz Free Curls with a Diffuser
Faux Hawk Ponytail Tutorial
6 Amazingly Simple Hairstyles for Lazy Girls
How to Create a Full Messy Bun
Coco Rocha Cuts Off All Her Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...